Infotainment ===> 15.0

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokingRubber

I like the stability they've added to 14.4 and I'm encouraged by the fact Chevy is actively improving the software. I think we can help! What would you like to see in the next revision? I'm talking just the software package, not the seats, or the autopilot, or the suspension. What could the GUI (Graphic User Interface) do better? It doesn't cost much (I don't think) to improve software functionality so I think our suggestions should and would be considered.
:ugeek:

1. More than two or three color palettes to choose from.
2. Font options.
3. Include an Android Auto window on the home screen.
4. Generally more customization?
5. Built in DashCam recorded to a memory stick (the cameras are already there).
6. It should be MUCH easier to pull up music folders by Artist or track through the USB or Bluetooth connection..
7. Way too SiriusXM leaning.
8. OTA Updates
9. Ability to zoom out Android Auto slightly. The new full screen mode actually ends up showing less detail from AA apps than the old version with the black bars. (this is a feature within the Waze app but maybe Chevy can pass it along)
10. More information on the car itself: Battery Temperature, Climate Control power consumption, TMS power consumption, etc...
11. A built in Navigation system that didn't require me to plug in my phone.
12. The ability to set the charge level at 90 or 95% and adjust it remotely.
13. Alerts when it reaches the set limit, not just when it's full.
14. Stop alerting me that my car is out of range or out of power when IT'S NOT.
15. Toggle for free wheel coasting in 'D'; that keeps the regen paddle, and keeps regen on the brake pedal
16. Adaptive cruise control
17. Ability to sort radio favorites so up/down button on steering wheel goes in the order I choose
18. Allow "Chime Volume" to go below 24
19. Cableless Android Auto (I wouldn't mind paying $10 a month for another wireless account if it actually did more than support wifi for my other devices that already have 4G)
20. The ability to disable the automatic parking brake.
21. I’d like to be able to set the seat heaters back to Auto mode after setting it to something else. Currently it cycles between high-medium-low-off. Why not add Auto to that cycle?
22. Auto-preconditioning. The car already has a scheduled leave time, it knows the temperature, how about adding a setting to automatically start preconditioning so that the car is all nice and warm (or cool) when it's time to leave?
23. ....

1) OTA Updates
2) Ability to zoom out Android Auto slightly. The new full screen mode actually ends up showing less detail from AA apps than the old version with the black bars.

1. OTA updates
2. Dashcam feature, option to record from all cameras on USB stick.

Toggle for free wheel coasting in 'D'; that keeps the regen paddle, and keeps regen on the brake pedal. This would be YUUUUUGE.

Toggle for no creep in 'D'; that has hill hold, and optimally adaptive creep - if you are in stop and go, you get creep, and it goes away after you drive faster than say 20MPH.

NeilBlanchard said:
Toggle for free wheel coasting in 'D'; that keeps the regen paddle, and keeps regen on the brake pedal. This would be YUUUUUGE.

Toggle for no creep in 'D'; that has hill hold, and optimally adaptive creep - if you are in stop and go, you get creep, and it goes away after you drive faster than say 20MPH.

I'm not sure this is something that's controlled by the Infotainment software, but I'll add it anyway, Honestly I don't know what improvement you're asking for. My car coasts in D and my regen paddle works fine (I think). I'm usually in L. Adaptive cruise control would be a nice addition though!

Ability to sort radio favorites so up/down button on steering wheel goes in the order I choose

Allow "Chime Volume" to go below 24.

>11. A built in Navigation system that didn't require me to plug in my phone.
Not a fan of that, because that would shoot the price up. Just getting updates for a built-in NAV system is usually hundreds of dollars.

That said, an "option" for a NAV app to be added, for those that want to pay for it, would be nice.
(Although if it came in around $300 (my guess of where it would be), not sure how many people would pay ;-) )

desiv

Android Auto is experimenting with connection without the cable. The WiFi is already in the car. When it is available in Android it would be nice if Infotainment also supported that mode. It would be great if Infotainment supported messaging without the cable also and that doesn't need a new version of Android. I would like to enter my car and have it connect to the phone today like it did in the Equinox I had before and one day when cableless Android Auto is available I would like it to all work cableless. Whether that is 15.0 or 16.0.

Here's another one:

The ability to disable the automatic parking brake.

This is important for towing the Bolt on a dolly (rear wheels on the ground). As soon as I put it on the dolly, the car thinks it is parked on an incline and applies the parking brake. Currently the work-around is to disconnect the negative 12V battery terminal to ensure the brake doesn't engage on the road. Much nicer would be to select an option in 'Settings' to disable that feature.

I keep thinking of more stuff...

I’d like to be able to set the seat heaters back to Auto mode after setting it to something else. Currently it cycles between high-medium-low-off. Why not add Auto to that cycle?

Meanwhile back it reality, the chances of getting any new or improved function in the 2017 Bolt are near zero, IMHO.
GM has no understanding or interest in the benefits they would accrue if they behaved like Tesla, and sent out over-the-air updates that kept improving the car. As far as their accountants are concerned, there is no profit in that, only additional maintenance costs and service calls when an update goes wrong.
Shortsighted on their part, but that's the GM story.

EldRick said:
Meanwhile back it reality, the chances of getting any new or improved function in the 2017 Bolt are near zero, IMHO.
The good news is that improvements to CarPlay / Android Auto are essentially integrated into the car through the screen interface.

Auto-preconditioning. The car already has a scheduled leave time, it knows the temperature, how about adding a setting to automatically start preconditioning so that the car is all nice and warm (or cool) when it's time to leave?

ndberg said:
Auto-preconditioning. The car already has a scheduled leave time, it knows the temperature, how about adding a setting to automatically start preconditioning so that the car is all nice and warm (or cool) when it's time to leave?
+1
Both Nissan and Ford offer this in their EVs. I'm sure there are others as well. Why isn't this a feature in Chevys?

I think this software is much more than the "infotainment" system. Options for locking the car, and charging, etc. It is the overall software in control of the car.

Here's what's actually coming soon...GM has stated they're already begun rolling out the "GM Marketplace" to the infotainment system all 2017 and 2018 GM vehicles; I just searched this forum for marketplace and it appears there aren't any posts about it being rolled out to Bolts yet...Front page google doesn't appear to list a model by model rollout schedule, perhaps someone here has insider info to when the Bolt will receive this update...It'll automatically download and you'll receive a popup to notify you its been deployed...

GM Marketplace is extremely controversial...Like OnStar, Marketplace uses the vehicles modem even if you don't pay for a data plan which means that most likely it won't be able to be turned off...It has coupons/offers such as a free app at Red Lobster, allows you make a table reservation at places like Applebees, allows you to upload your credit card and book travel arrangements on priceline, pay for gas at Shell, order food and drinks and pay from the vehicle for places like Dunkin Donuts...In Dunkin Donuts case, there's the perk where after you order on marketplace, you can head to the drive thru, without ordering you speak your name to the speaker, continue to the window to pick up your order...You can use it while driving at any speed and GM actually states this experience was designed to be used by the driver while driving and doesn't even support voice support yet but will later along with other features in future updates...GM said they feel this is safer than using your smartphone...Finally they stated it'll "learn" and over time may display relevant offers which adds to controversy; hopefully every time we're near an Applebees, we don't receive an infotainment screen popup we have to manually dismiss...I haven't seen any mention of marketplace and EV chargers but that could be a great opportunity for GM with locating charging stations and steering you to locations which have their vendors nearby...

Good article including GM's demo video...https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/5/16735264/gm-marketplace-infotainment-commerce-shopping

Back