Amber? Request for ya'.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GernBlanston

Could you please provide a simple, 1-paragraph explanation
of exactly how the 'trend bar' works? Thank you.

Seriously. Could you get an engineer to give a quick-and-dirty explanation of how many miles
the trend bar looks at, and how it factors in current -vs- yesterday's temperatures and such?
Thank you.

They haven't had any real responses since the summer; they did log in on Halloween, posted five times each time asking that you email them vs addressing issues or answering questions on the forum...It seems the overwhelming majority of the time they try to steer you to your nearest dealership...

Chevy Electric is alive and well on FB and twitter; even Live Chat on chevy's site will yield a fast response which most likely refers you to call a certain dept...Right on their profile page:

We can also be reached at (800) 222-1020 and [email protected]
Check us out on FB & TW!
https://facebook.com/ChevroletElectric
https://twitter.com/ChevyElectric

How much time has been wasted on this? One GM Corp phone call or Chevy live chat session would have satisfied this request in 10mins...

GernBlanston said:
Could you please provide a simple, 1-paragraph explanation
of exactly how the 'trend bar' works? Thank you.

Here's my best explanation I can come up with:

The trending bars, green going up and yellow going down, are an indication of your estimated range based on your most recent usage. The trend bars can change quickly (green dropping when sitting at a light with HVAC on or yellow shrinking after coming off the freeway at 70mph and sitting at said traffic light). They are small and not as attention grabbing as the big Guess-O-Meter number in the middle.

The purpose is to avoid the main range displayed from changing abruptly, which could confuse and infuriate customers, but still give you an indication of your progress.

Drive with the green trend bar all the way up, and the expected range is displayed at the top. The range at the top and the bottom are best and worst case ranges based on a longer average of driving patterns (perhaps the top and bottom 10% of your efficiency ratings over the last 50 miles).

Unless Amber works in GM software development, I doubt she would have insight into the true algorithms that GM uses. Even if she did, it's probably proprietary. The exact numbers GM uses for its calculations are not important. The description is the best I can come up with based on observation.

I've driven my Bolt to and from work over 200 times since I bought it. In that 15 mile trip, I can use 20 miles going to work (seeing a lot of yellow trend) and less than 5 coming home (green trending high) on some days based on the guess-o-meter. But when I look at the efficiency graph, I can clearly see that I get lower efficiency going to work (when it is cooler) than coming home (when it tends to be warmer) AND I know for a fact, going to work is essentially a slight uphill drive over the entire 15 miles (thus, downhill coming home). That 'splains it to me.

PS: I'm an automotive electrical engineer with a software background and I work in electronic module testing and have lithium-ion battery experience at the vehicle design and test level. I have also worked on the Chevy Spark battery pack.

Bacardi said:
How much time has been wasted on this?
Well, a total of about 75 seconds I reckon, if I had typed slowly, which I don't.
Bacardi said:
One GM Corp phone call or Chevy live chat session would have satisfied this request in 10mins...
Tried both, which took MUCH longer than 75 seconds. Nobody knows, nobody cares, and nobody wants to find out.

We lost her. So, what other ways are there to complain to GM or get insight into our cars?

My dealer is worthless. I just want them to stop letting gasmobile Park in front of the DCFC so I can pick up a charge when I’m there.

Back