Bolt battery damaged by fast charging?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lrmills

I recently went on a 560 mile trip with my 2017 Bolt. We used EVGO fast chargers to charge the battery. When we got back I noticed that a full charge now indicates around 200 miles. Before the trip, a full charge would indicate around 250 miles. Did fast charging damage the batteries?

If you drove a long distance, perhaps you were driving faster than your normal? The mileage estimate is based on your recent driving, so if your technique and speed resulted in just 3.3 miles per Kilowatt hour recently, it will guess your full range at 200 miles. Drive 55 mph for a while and see what happens. I would appreciate knowing as I have rarely used DCFC.

Please read all of the topics that have "range" and "cold weather" (or similar) in the subject. They talk about reduced range, and the reason there-of.

Short story : it is normal.

long story: detailed already in many threads.

The REG (Range Estimation Gauge) is based on your load/demand requirements from the last charge.
If you have added luggage, people, (weight) higher speeds during your trip than when you normally
drive around home on a daily basis, the REG will reflect that on the next charge. It will go back to
normal when the driving conditions return to that normal state of use. IE load/demand requirements.

Back