Bolt EV OTA Update Information

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChevyCustomerCare

Hello everyone! We wanted to provide you with all the necessary information regarding OTA updates. If you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to comment here and send us a private message with more details about your experience.

Over-the-Air Software Update Information
In our efforts to keep the customer in the center of everything we do, we have heard your comments and on April 18 started offering a software update to make improvements to your vehicle experience. This update will be for nearly all 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV cars, and will help improve phone connectivity, display resolution, rear camera operation, and prevent instances of intermittent screen freezing. The updates will also remove certain video playback functionality and improve the ability to perform software updates to the radio.

About the Updates
This Over-the-Air (OTA) software update is like the updates you might receive on your computers, tablets or smartphones today. The software update began in April and is being rolled out to owners in waves through August 2018.
There are currently three software updates available; only two are a part of the OTA update. The first is an update using audio prompts coupled with visual display acceptance; this is a SDGM update which improves the ability to perform software updates. The next update utilizes only visual display prompts and acceptance (no audio); this is the Infotainment radio update. This update improves radio functionality; it is version 14.5.0. Some earlier-build vehicles will receive 2 OTA updates, other vehicles only require 1 OTA update. Please note: If your vehicle doesn’t require the SDGM, only the infotainment radio (version 14.5.0) update will be sent. The Battery Software update is not part of the OTA initiative and must be updated at the dealer if your vehicle requires it.

Downloading & Installation
Downloading and installing vehicle software updates requires Internet connectivity. You do not need to pay for a OnStar® or 4G LTE Wi-Fi® data plan to receive vehicle software updates, OnStar® Basic plan works. However, your vehicle’s infotainment system must connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. If your vehicle doesn’t automatically connect to Wi-Fi, Chevrolet included a tip sheet via mail and a link to it in the email to help you establish connectivity. This automatic connectivity is one of the improvements included in software version 14.5.0.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Software updates cannot install while your vehicle is charging. Please ensure that your charging cable is unplugged prior to starting the installation. Once the installation is complete, you may plug in your vehicle and resume normal charging.

If you receive a survey, please fill it out. We want to hear about your experience. We thank you all for your feedback, and please be sure to let us know should you have any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Chevrolet Customer Care

Good question, Jim. The updates are sent out over the course of several weeks to all vehicles and started on April 18th. A message will appear on your radio screen when the update is received, indicating that your vehicle is ready to install the update. We hope this helps, and please let us know should you have any additional questions!

Brandon J.

JimFallstonMd said:
So when will the email be distributed to owners?

Good evening, SmokingRubber.

The vehicle must be parked to accept the download, but after the download is accepted, you will be able to use your vehicle normally during the download process. Once the download is completed, you will then be asked to accept the installation of the software update package. The vehicle cannot be driven during the software install process (up to 10 minutes). The vehicle must be parked at a safe and secure location with the ignition in the OFF position during installation. You do not need to remain in your vehicle during the software installation. Also, the electric vehicle battery charging cannot occur during software installation. Please ensure that your charging cable is unplugged prior to starting the installation. Once the installation is complete, you may plug in your vehicle and resume normal charging. Please do not hesitate to let us know should you have further questions.

Brandon J.

SmokingRubber said:
Does it update while the car is OFF? My car sits within my home wifi range all evening, unplugged, but my car is technically turned OFF.

I know this is a little off topic but can you tell me why the mychevrolet.com website shows both of my cars a Volt & a Bolt as not having an onstar account, which both of them do and none of the statuses or updates to charging and mileage that used to be there are working at all.

ChevyCustomerCare said:
Good question, Jim. The updates are sent out over the course of several weeks to all vehicles and started on April 18th. A message will appear on your radio screen when the update is received, indicating that your vehicle is ready to install the update. We hope this helps, and please let us know should you have any additional questions!

Brandon J.

JimFallstonMd said:

Hi, Jim.

This could be a situation where a free trial could have expired, and no card was associated to your account. However, our team would like to review this further. At your earliest convenience could you email us at [email protected]? Please put "Attention: OnStar" in your subject line, and be sure to include your account number within your email. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. We hope to hear from you soon.

Brandon J.

JimFallstonMd said:
I know this is a little off topic but can you tell me why the mychevrolet.com website shows both of my cars a Volt & a Bolt as not having an onstar account, which both of them do and none of the statuses or updates to charging and mileage that used to be there are working at all.

ChevyCustomerCare said:

Brandon J.

JimFallstonMd said:

What I am curious about is the version number.

Where do you get that? I have 14.5 but that is for the Infotainment and they updated that months ago at the dealership. But, this update is different correct?

Maxters said:
What I am curious about is the version number.

Where do you get that? I have 14.5 but that is for the Infotainment and they updated that months ago at the dealership. But, this update is different correct?

Nope the software update is version 14.5.0 and it was only made available since about April 9.

If you have this version, then you have the most current.

Back