PackardV8
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: New to EVs, buying a used Bolt in a few months. Which accessories / equipment do I need?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:52 am

AyeJay wrote:For me the DCFC capability is important in that it potentially eliminates having to compromise and use an ICE car (owned or rented) for longer trips, or when colder temperatures, lower efficiencies become an issue.

For most of us the main point of driving an EV is to eliminate that 'carbon debt', ie: reduce our fossil fuel dependence. I don't believe when faced with a longer range trip that matters less .. probably more so. AJ


Defining our terms is all-important in a technical discussion; your longer range trip? Your colder temperatures? Out here in the intermountain west, a longer range trip is 750 miles through mountains in zero degree weather and 75-80 MPH speed limits. The DCFC infrastructure is non-existent. The Bolt is not going to be the weapon of choice in that fight.

jack vines
My vehicles
2017 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
2011 Saab 9-4X
2005 Saab 9-5
1998 Saab 9000 Aero
2004 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1956 Studebaker Hawk custom with a supercharged Packard V8
1955 Studebaker custom pickup with a Packard V8

PV1
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Re: New to EVs, buying a used Bolt in a few months. Which accessories / equipment do I need?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:24 am

I’ve only honestly quick charged my Bolt 4 times in 3 years, but I still recommend getting DCFC if you have any thoughts at all about traveling in the Bolt, even for just day trips.

My LT has comfort and convenience package, which probably isn’t necessary in Tucson (heated seats and steering wheel), confidence package (rear park sensors and cross-traffic radar that has saved my car a handful of times in cramped parking lots), and DCFC.
2012 i-MiEV ES with quick charge - White
2012 i-MiEV ES with quick charge - Silver
2017 Bolt EV LT - Orange Burst

11.8 kW Solar Array

AyeJay
Moderator
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Re: New to EVs, buying a used Bolt in a few months. Which accessories / equipment do I need?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:41 pm

DCFC availability is WAY better than it was 5+ years ago and improving significantly even in more remote locations.

In my case (Norcal) there are several locations where I can DCFC for free. The California state government sponsors a program providing this benefit through local energy providers. The unit I use all the time is one mile from my home. If my car didn't have DCFC capability that option of 'free fuel' would be unavailable for me ..

If I didn't have off street parking and/or lived in an apartment, town home, condo without level 2 charging DCFC would be a huge advantage.

IMO: As early adopters we need all the advantages we can get!

-- I see DCFC as an option that's paying for itself in both time saved and avoided fuel (electricity) costs .

AJ
- 2017 Bolt EV LT
- 1982 VW Rabbit (Caddy) Pickup

BoltEV
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: New to EVs, buying a used Bolt in a few months. Which accessories / equipment do I need?

Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:00 pm

PackardV8 wrote:Defining our terms is all-important..

jack vines

Jack: I understand your point that you are the exception to the rule and you do not need DCFC.

But you should understand that for the FEW of you (1 percent* of Bolt EV owners) that absolutely will NEVER need the DCFC (because if you need it only ONCE, then it was a good purchase), you have raised the cost, the other 99%* of us had to overpay:

$750 for an accessory that probably would only add $99* to the cost of the Bolt EV if it were available standard.

And I am personally convinced that GM would have made that decision to make it standard, if they could have kept the "marketing" cost of the Bolt EV to "Less than $30,000 (with original federal tax credit)". But they could not, so they made it an option!

Michael

* These are unresearched numbers used for illustrative and argumentative purposes.

PackardV8
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: New to EVs, buying a used Bolt in a few months. Which accessories / equipment do I need?

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:56 am

BoltEV wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:Defining our terms is all-important..

jack vines

Jack: I understand your point that you are the exception to the rule and you do not need DCFC.

But you should understand that for the FEW of you (1 percent* of Bolt EV owners) that absolutely will NEVER need the DCFC (because if you need it only ONCE, then it was a good purchase), you have raised the cost, the other 99%* of us had to overpay:

$750 for an accessory that probably would only add $99* to the cost of the Bolt EV if it were available standard.

And I am personally convinced that GM would have made that decision to make it standard, if they could have kept the "marketing" cost of the Bolt EV to "Less than $30,000 (with original federal tax credit)". But they could not, so they made it an option!

Michael

* These are unresearched numbers used for illustrative and argumentative purposes.


Obsessing on the DCFC not being standard is between you and the GM Marketing Department. We know who won the debate. Who was right is for history to decide. In the long run, we're all dead.

jack
My vehicles
2017 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
2011 Saab 9-4X
2005 Saab 9-5
1998 Saab 9000 Aero
2004 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1956 Studebaker Hawk custom with a supercharged Packard V8
1955 Studebaker custom pickup with a Packard V8

BoltEV
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: New to EVs, buying a used Bolt in a few months. Which accessories / equipment do I need?

Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:17 am

PackardV8 wrote:Obsessing on the DCFC not being standard is between you and the GM Marketing Department. We know who won the debate. Who was right is for history to decide. In the long run, we're all dead.

jack

That is an easy attitude for you to have, Jack: I am on my 2nd "optional" DCFC on a Bolt EV; at a now cumulative cost of $1,500.

I will bet dollars to donuts that the next EV you acquire, Jack, has some form of DC Fast Charger installed in it!

PackardV8
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: New to EVs, buying a used Bolt in a few months. Which accessories / equipment do I need?

Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:13 pm

BoltEV wrote:
PackardV8 wrote:Obsessing on the DCFC not being standard is between you and the GM Marketing Department. We know who won the debate. Who was right is for history to decide. In the long run, we're all dead.

jack

That is an easy attitude for you to have, Jack: I am on my 2nd "optional" DCFC on a Bolt EV; at a now cumulative cost of $1,500.

I will bet dollars to donuts that the next EV you acquire, Jack, has some form of DC Fast Charger installed in it!


For true, what were options sometimes become standard equipment. Even though auto air conditioning was first offered on the 1939 Packard, thirty years later it was still a rare and expensive option. As more buyers opted for AC, the cost came down. Are there any cars built today without AC?

jack vines
My vehicles
2017 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
2011 Saab 9-4X
2005 Saab 9-5
1998 Saab 9000 Aero
2004 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1956 Studebaker Hawk custom with a supercharged Packard V8
1955 Studebaker custom pickup with a Packard V8

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”