roundpeg

How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

Share here the trim line and options you bought, from which dealer, and how much you paid above or below MSRP!

devbolt

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:21 pm

Obviously I haven't paid yet or gotten a car, but I did order the following from Stewart Chevrolet Cadillac in Colma (San Francisco Bay Area).

Bolt Premier: $40,905
Kinetic Blue Metallic: $395
DC Fast charging : $750
Driver Confidence II: $495
Infotainment packages: $485
Destination: $875
Total: $43,905 before sales tax, title or doc fees.

Dealer is charging MSRP. I contacted 6 different dealerships all around the Bay Area and nobody was budging on price. All were MSRP.

roundpeg

Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:58 pm

Claimed one of the first allocation available to my local dealer, which was just a handful of cars.

Premier
Arctic Blue exterior
Galvanized/Sky Cool interior
Fast DC Charging

@MSRP should be $42,530.00, including destination.

Delivers in December, they believe.

oilerlord

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Are you guys buying or leasing?
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

ssspinball

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:00 pm

I will almost certainly be leasing as car technology (powertrain + autonomous driving) is changing at the fastest rate in the history of the automobile and it makes economic sense to take advantage of EV rebates multiple times while they still exist.

oilerlord

Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:22 pm

ssspinball wrote:I will almost certainly be leasing as car technology (powertrain + autonomous driving) is changing at the fastest rate in the history of the automobile and it makes economic sense to take advantage of EV rebates multiple times while they still exist.

Good call. I wonder how many folks are going to outright buy the car, and further, if this EV's resale value will hold - or drop like a stone like other compliance cars. I'm guessing it will be the latter. In a couple of years, If it's value drops by 50% (or more), it would become the used car deal of the century.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

michael

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:22 pm

oilerlord wrote:Are you guys buying or leasing?

I think it's a big mistake to buy at EV at this time. Lease and let the manufacturer and/or bank take the risk of huge depreciation due to product improvements. And as pointed out above, take advantage of the tax benefits...they won't last much longer
2013 Ford Focus Electric 51000 miles in 34 months, returned
2014 Volt, returned
2014 Volt, returned,

2017 Volt
2017 Volt
1967 Corvette 427
1962 Corvette 327

roundpeg

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:43 pm

michael wrote:

I think it's a big mistake to buy at EV at this time. Lease and let the manufacturer and/or bank take the risk of huge depreciation due to product improvements. And as pointed out above, take advantage of the tax benefits...they won't last much longer

You can't escape this problem simply by leasing, since the residual value of the car at the end of the lease is part of the deal. You are paying for the depreciation by other means. No free lunches.

So most likely I won't lease, unless the dealer makes me an offer that looks really good. Got a few weeks to think about that.

DucRider

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 am

roundpeg wrote:
michael wrote:

You can't escape this problem simply by leasing, since the residual value of the car at the end of the lease is part of the deal. You are paying for the depreciation by other means. No free lunches.

Sometimes you can. It is not unusual on EV's for manufacturer leases to have an artificially high residual (one of the ways they lower monthly payments). It can be cheaper (but no guarantees) to lease for 3 years, then negotiate a lower price (true market value) to purchase the car at the end of the lease.

It's not likely that GM will be doing this when demand is high, but worth looking at before deciding. Anything above about a 41% residual on a 36 mo 12K per year lease I would consider artificially high.
Gary

2014 Honda Fit EV - lease ends Jan 2019

roundpeg

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:24 am

DucRider wrote:Sometimes you can. It is not unusual on EV's for manufacturer leases to have an artificially high residual (one of the ways they lower monthly payments). It can be cheaper (but no guarantees) to lease for 3 years, then negotiate a lower price (true market value) to purchase the car at the end of the lease.

It's not likely that GM will be doing this when demand is high, but worth looking at before deciding. Anything above about a 41% residual on a 36 mo 12K per year lease I would consider artificially high.

It seems pretty unlikely that they'd subsidize the purchase on a lease when they aren't offering any incentives to cash buyers.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”