SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:36 am

If you *bought* (but financed - i.e., took out a loan to buy) the vehicle, the "interest" isn't included in the "out the door" price.

Above, "bolt2018" listed her/his Out of the door cost as $41,744 with NO INTEREST listed. If you add in your "$3,811 Interest", the total would have been $45,555.

Currently, at Fremont Chevrolet, they are offering about $5000 off MSRP for many 2018 Bolts.

In the future, when you are thinking about buying a new car, you might want to ask for price quotes via email from several dealerships.

But again, you didn't get hosed - you may have paid a bit more than you could have snuck away with, but if you like the car ...

awillcox
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:57 am

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:05 am

SparkE wrote:If you *bought* (but financed - i.e., took out a loan to buy) the vehicle, the "interest" isn't included in the "out the door" price.

Above, "bolt2018" listed her/his Out of the door cost as $41,744 with NO INTEREST listed. If you add in your "$3,811 Interest", the total would have been $45,555.

Currently, at Fremont Chevrolet, they are offering about $5000 off MSRP for many 2018 Bolts.

In the future, when you are thinking about buying a new car, you might want to ask for price quotes via email from several dealerships.

But again, you didn't get hosed - you may have paid a bit more than you could have snuck away with, but if you like the car ...


This is good perspective. Thanks!

Fr0stByte
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:51 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:58 pm

Just came home yesterday with our new Bolt. Took a about a weeks worth of calling, emailing, texting between all the dealerships in Cali to get me the best deal.

2019 Bolt Prem
Driver Confidence II
Infotainment
DCFC

MSRP $43,510

Total OTD, including license and registration, $40,100.00

I actually had a better deal at a Novato dealer for $39.610 OTD, but it was for a 2019 Silver ICE, this dealer beat my best offer of a 2018 Prem for the same OTD. I ended up getting it at a dealer closer to me (12miles vs 70+) and I got it in the color I wanted, which was Slate.

I will still get the $2500 state, $7500 fed, and $800 PG&E (will wait until Jan 2019 to file, as they raised it starting then)

xgashole
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:59 pm

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Bought ours outright because we were saving for a house that didn't happen. Thought about leasing, but monthly charge was pretty steep and we wanted to collect the US & State incentives. I know EVs depreciate fast and can be hard to sell, but we intend to keep it until the warranty expires unless it gives us trouble. In MA, there are green incentives that can provide both a $2500 rebate and a dealer discount. We were expecting the discount to be up to 6K but dealer said through tears 2K was all they could manage. C'est la vie.
Model Premier
Color Green Mist
Interior Leather, white/grey
Invoiced Charges
Base $40,521.00
Options infotainment &
Driver Assurance II $1,730.00
Delivery Charge $875.00
Dealer Discount ($2,071.00)
Dealer Total $41,055.00
Sales Tax To MA $2,422.00
Title To MA $75.00
Registration To MA $42.50
License Plates MA "EV" $0.00
TOTAL $43,594.50
MA rebate ($2500.00)
Fed tax credit ($7500.00)
FINAL COST $33,594.00

SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:18 pm

xgashole wrote: {...} were expecting the discount to be up to 6K but dealer said through tears 2K was all they could manage.


Yeah, well, many dealers are lying scumbags.

One should always start by seeing what is available (prices, discount) on the internet, find the best deals within 200 miles, print them out, and then take them to the dealer you would prefer to deal with. If they can't match, or get close, walk. (Go buy elsewhere.) It is also a great tactic to avoid all the upsells : "I don't have to put up with this crap if I buy from XYZ - I have a telephone deal waiting for me there. So do you want my money or not? Should I just leave? I have this money I want to spend TODAY, do you not want my money?".

Since I started using techniques like that, my car purchases have gone much more smoothly and quickly. When I helped my daughter buy a car, we picked it out and left for lunch ("what you don't want our money? We'll be back after lunch - if the paperwork is ready we'll buy it, otherwise we'll go to XYZ. See you in an hour."). After lunch, we spent about 30 minutes signing papers and drove the car away.

So ...

First, find the best deal you can via internet/email.
Then, use it to pressure the local dealership.

rwill
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: How Much I Paid for My Bolt

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:29 pm

xgashole wrote:Dealer Discount ($2,071.00)
Dealer Total $41,055.00
Sales Tax To MA $2,422.00
Title To MA $75.00
Registration To MA $42.50
License Plates MA "EV" $0.00
TOTAL $43,594.50
MA rebate ($2500.00)
Fed tax credit ($7500.00)
FINAL COST $33,594.00


Did you not research the dealer discounts that Quirk is offering before you bought yours? They've been doing $7500 off as a dealer discount for like the past year and a half. Why would you buy from any other dealer? Especially if you are already in Massachusetts?

I never understand when I talk to fellow Bolt owners and find out they paid full rate when Quirk is giving these things away.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”