Cancel Lease ?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srinaths

I got my Bolt last Thursday's and I was excited about it until I had the check engine light turn on . I contacted on-Star and they mentioned that I should have the car towed tot he dealer . It's been with the dealer - Momentum Chevy in San Jose since then .

I feel like I Am leasing a refurbished car . Am I within my rights to request a new Car ??

Sri

Check your local jurisdiction's lemon laws. (But probably not until it spends a certain amount of time in the shop for the same issue)

Srinaths said:
Am I within my rights to request a new Car ??

Sri
Request? Yes.

Are you entitled to or have the right to demand a new car? No.

The manufacturer (the dealer is their agent) must be allowed the chance to correct any defect.

CA Lemon Law:
During the first 18 months or 18,000 miles, the “Lemon Law” presumes that a manufacturer has had a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if either (1) the manufacturer or its agents have had four or more opportunities to repair the vehicle for the same problem and the consumer has at least once directly notified the manufacturer of the need for repair as provided in the warranty or owner’s manual, or (2) the vehicle is out of service because of the repair of any number of problems by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 days since delivery of the vehicle.

https://www.carlemon.com/lemon/CA_LemonGuide.html

https://www.carlemon.com/magnuson-moss-warranty-act-the-federal-lemon-law.html

Thanks guys . I think I am just frustrated with my dealership . They are not responsive and they keep lying to me every time I call them . Feels like I am at their mercy after having paid the down payment and signed the lease .. hopefully they fix it for me..

Srinaths said:
Thanks guys . I think I am just frustrated with my dealership . They are not responsive and they keep lying to me every time I call them .
Try a different dealership. Any Chevy dealership that's certified to sell Bolts should honour a warranty issue.

Update :

Thanks for all the inputs guys .. I had a call with the not so helpful momentum Chevy dealer in San Jose and they are now telling me that it's something to do with the Drive Unit and it needs to be replaced .

It's been 2 weeks and the mechanic expects another week or so to replace it .

So frustrated and feels like I am paying for a refurb car again !!

They are fixing the problem.... And the first thing you say is "I want a new car"?? And... You did not buy this car, you are renting it....

Man, there are worse problems in life.. Be happy....

Apparently it varies between dealerships. I've had my Bolt in to Allen Gwynn Chevy in Glendale multiple times - Air conditioner blew up, firmware updates, took weeks for it the first time they had to ferret out the problem with the AC compressor motor... But they were super honest with me, and the work they did was decent. I could also call the service manager up and talk with him. One day he called me to tell me that they had been on the phone with GM all morning and everybody was still clueless as to what was wrong, sorry, and they're getting somebody else at GM to call them the next day to hash it out. Sucks, but at least I knew what was up and that they were doing everything they could.

Also, think of it this way - The dealer has replaced and repaired things on a Malibu maybe THOUSANDS of times SINCE FEBRUARY. They have guys that can do alternators in their sleep. On a Bolt, this should be no different except..no. wait.. it's completely different. Most of the techs probably haven't so much as popped the hood on one. Doing tie rod ends or replacing a window regulator is easy, that's fundamentally the same, but literally everything else is different.

However, if they're truly being dicks, then they need to turn it around. GM pays them to do warranty work, same as an owner would after the fact. On a darker note, there could be more sinister forces at work. Sales managers and service managers colluding to slow down and frustrate drivers of vehicles that don't make them tons of money. It's not inconceivable.

Back