Did anyone buy or get offered Lease Guard?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooter123

My dealership seems to mention it every other sentence.

Is it worth it for 1k .. and has anyone else been offered it.. or taken it?

scooter123 said:

If the dealer is pushing it, it isn't worth it.

Our dealer was pushing it. They said because we contacted them through Costco, there was a discount, and because it was end of the month and the financial rep who did our paperwork had some credits, he offerred it to us for $600. We ended up taking it, mostly because of the up to $5000 off of the excess damage fees ($1000 each for 5 occurrences). We just came off of a 3 year Nissan Leaf lease and the stress of worrying about a bunch of minor dents and dings was enough to make this worth it. Plus as our only car now (sold our 2004 Prius when we got the Bolt), we'll be driving it a lot more.

The example the guy gave us was being able to put it towards 4 new tires (in case there's excessive wear). Plus covering some mileage overage, which is now a real possibility.

So, who knows if it's worth it. I've had mixed luck with buying insurance. For our old Prius, I opted for the extended warranty package, and with a few things that went wrong with the car, that investment more than paid for itself.

My dealer said it was 1k and could NOT be negotiated... or else I would have taken it for like 500 or something.. even 6000.
I'm going to be driving for Uber so it would have been nice to have :)

scooter123 said:
My dealer said it was 1k and could NOT be negotiated... or else I would have taken it for like 500 or something.. even 6000.
I'm going to be driving for Uber so it would have been nice to have :)

$1,000 is WAY too much. I paid $500 or so when I leased my smart EV in 2014. Totally worth it in my case, even after backing out the initial $500 buy-in.

I’ve got a cracked windshield, two dented wheels on the left side (after tangling with a wicked pothole, haha!!), two worn tires, and assorted dings and scratches. All will be covered by the Lease Guard. It’s nice being able to drop it off at the dealership and walk away without worrying too much about EWaT charges.

The only downside: because all that stuff was covered, I ended up driving around with a cracked windshield, two dented wheels, and two worn tires because the Lease Guard was going to cover all the damage, haha!!

Strangely, I wasn’t offered it on my 2017 Bolt lease, and I forgot to ask about it when I was with the F&I girl. After my positive experience with the smart EV, I would’ve re-upped if it was still $500-$600. Especially now that my wife, because of the range, will happily drive the Bolt. She’s a bit hard on cars, haha!!

My housemate got the Toyota version on her 2013 Prius PHEV. Then she bought the car off-lease, negating any savings. Still, it gave her peace of mind. She paid about $1k as well, rolling it into the lease payment.

scooter123 said:

I plan to lease another Bolt soon and might get the lease guard if it's $600 or less.
The 5K total damage is pretty good and they'll cover up to $400 of excess mileage charges (2000 miles).
So if 12,000 miles isn't enough and 15,000 too much, this might be the way to go.

i managed to get this for 595, but before i realized what happened they had added it to the leased amount, which means now i'm paying interest on that 595. if i had my wits about me i would have just paid up front - so be careful about that.

one problem is that i received *zero* documentation from the dealer about this policy. i called GM and they told me to pound sand; they can see the charge on my lease but have no info for me. for a variety of reasons i don't want to interact with the finance manager, so i'm not sure what to do.

There is also an advantage to paying it monthly, though: if the car is totaled, you don't end up paying the whole amount.

Back