New premier lease in Upstate NY

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Super excited to be picking up my newly leased Bolt this weekend. I'm in centrally isolated upstate NY, and my local dealer (and most of the other nearby ones) doesn't have the Bolt certification. So I e-mailed anyone with a Bolt in about a two hour radius. The differences in prices were pretty staggering for a similarly configured premier (with both packages and DCFC), ranging from ~$320 to $430 per month (nothing down and including the $2k NY state instant rebate) - with one-pay numbers between ~$9300 and $14500. Eventually ended up with a one pay of $95xx all inclusive, which is I felt was pretty great for a 3 year 10k lease (color and a few other things made it worth the little extra).
With some asking around, there were several dealers in the mid $9k range, but also plenty who had no interest in going below outrageous pricing. I figured the dealers with bunches on their lots would be more aggressive, but several didn't even seem to understand the NYSERDA rebate and had the highest pricing; ended up at a smaller dealer who just had a few on the lot but was really great to work with.
Debated a little on whether to lease or purchase, but in looking at that one-pay number, I could do that lease more than 4 times and pay less than I would for the purchase (particularly after factoring in taxes, interest, etc.). I won't actually do that, of course, but it feels like a good amount to pay to have this good of an electric car for 3 years. And I think there will be so much more choice in three more years (I did my first lease three years ago getting one of the better plug-in-hybrids at the time, and it's pretty amazing how much things have changed since then).

fisheyes said:
Super excited to be picking up my newly leased Bolt this weekend. I'm in centrally isolated upstate NY, and my local dealer (and most of the other nearby ones) doesn't have the Bolt certification. So I e-mailed anyone with a Bolt in about a two hour radius. The differences in prices were pretty staggering for a similarly configured premier (with both packages and DCFC), ranging from ~$320 to $430 per month (nothing down and including the $2k NY state instant rebate) - with one-pay numbers between ~$9300 and $14500. Eventually ended up with a one pay of $95xx all inclusive, which is I felt was pretty great for a 3 year 10k lease (color and a few other things made it worth the little extra).
With some asking around, there were several dealers in the mid $9k range, but also plenty who had no interest in going below outrageous pricing. I figured the dealers with bunches on their lots would be more aggressive, but several didn't even seem to understand the NYSERDA rebate and had the highest pricing; ended up at a smaller dealer who just had a few on the lot but was really great to work with.
Debated a little on whether to lease or purchase, but in looking at that one-pay number, I could do that lease more than 4 times and pay less than I would for the purchase (particularly after factoring in taxes, interest, etc.). I won't actually do that, of course, but it feels like a good amount to pay to have this good of an electric car for 3 years. And I think there will be so much more choice in three more years (I did my first lease three years ago getting one of the better plug-in-hybrids at the time, and it's pretty amazing how much things have changed since then).
Just curious, but why the one pay?

Did you get a lower MF? And did they calculate the reduced interest and charge rent only on the residual? Or did they simply calculate the payments as normal and multiply them to arrive at your prepay amount? This is typically what lease companies want to do and is often not negotiable.

And did you purchase any insurance to cover your investment? If someone blows a red light and totals your Bolt next month, do you get any of the $9500 back? Typical GAP insurance only covers the difference between the ACV and the amount owed to protect the lease company, and does not cover your cash investment.

Back