POLL: Did you lease or buy?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChargePoint

POLL: Did you lease or buy your Tesla (or other EV)?

For those leasing: are you in your first, second or third lease?

Here's what a few drivers had to share...

6ed9nn.png

6t1rtz.png

I purchased a Chevrolet Bolt because it has 3 times the range of my previously leased PEV, a 2015 BMW i3, and that is all I really need. Didn't like being tied to a lease.

Leased. I've previously leased many cars/trucks. The Bolt is somewhere between number 5-10. I've owned and leased over 60 cars/trucks/motorcycles in the 67 years of my life to date.

I leased the Bolt because:

1) I didn't intend/want to keep it beyond 3 years because of the rapid changes in the EV market anticipated in the next 3 years;
2) the unknown resale value of the vehicle beyond that time period due to the likelihood of such changes;
3) it was cheaper and easier to lease than buy it; and because
4) the dealer gave me what I wanted for my trade-in which paid for the outstanding loan on the car and the $3k in fed/PGE rebates made it a zero money deal out the door.

I will probably lease another EV again after the 3 years is up but I'll decide then which one. Have no problem w/the Bolt but there may be sexier, faster and/or more interesting EV models available for the same (or even a lower) price when I have to make that decision. The $3k in fed/state tax credits also made leasing

Time will tell.

BTW, I own 3 cars cars and a truck. The Bolt is the only car I am currently leasing. All of these vehicles are listed in my signature.

Bought. Who knows what life will bring?

It’s easier to sell a car than transfer a lease.

Also bought gap insurance, and the 8yr/125K extended platinum bumper-bumper warranty.

Even if the lease would’ve cut my payment in half, I’d still have to do something again in 3 years that’s gonna require a similar commitment as the first lease.

In addition, with the rumored next refresh in 2025, this will hold me over nicely. I took the loan out for a standard 5 years. I’ll have three more warrantied years of coverage after. I didn’t factor in the EV Rebates in any of my math when I bought - but I negotiated a stellar interest rate.

It’s gonna just be an even better surprise payment on my principal in the spring.

I’ll have the car refurbished by the end of year 7 for anything that’s worn out / broken.

I’m in SF, there’s not that many miles I can go in a trip - I’ve had my car a month and I’ve only gone 500 miles. I just sold my ‘01 Accord with 68K miles on it. I feel that by living in SF I’m cheating the warranty programs with very hard miles (vs freeway suburbia drivers who go 50+ a day with way less wear; in some instances.)

Taking a gamble at buying and backing it up with proper coverages. Thinking by 2025 there won’t be any more tax credits or rebates, as EVs will have gone mainstream. Might as well ride this one out. :)

Back