SparkE

Re: So are we all going to end up buying our cars after our leases are up?

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:02 am

BoltEV wrote:Just pointing out, you never really know the quality, care and handling of any used car, unless you are buying out your own lease! ;)

Which is why I have an OBD reader, and torque pro, to show me the kWh capacity of the battery. I used it to reject seveeral SparkEVs on the used market before finally buying my wife the one that I eventually found with low battery degradation. (I really don't care what the mileage is, so long as the car is in good shape - I would bring it to a mechanic for evaluation).

Sure, it takes extra effort and a little equipment and a little extra time, but my motto has always been "be prepared" (and things generally go better). Or, as a gunnery sergeant used to tell me, "remember the 6 Ps : proper preparation prevents piss poor performance".

PackardV8

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm

BoltEV wrote:BMW made the strange decision to limit the gas tank on its "range extender" to about one gallon, instead of the 9 gallons on the Chevy Volt. I guess it gives them some sort of California CARB "points" but is way too limiting for me! I am glad he likes it though.
FWIW, he chose not to get the range extender. He and I discussed it and agreed the REx option on the BMW sort of negated the idea of owning a BEV for urban everyday use. He and his wife fight over who gets the i3, to the point they're going beyond the allowable mileage allowance. Yet another reason he would have bought.

jack vines
My vehicles
2017 Bolt Premier Cajun Red
2011 Saab 9-4X
2005 Saab 9-5
1998 Saab 9000 Aero
2004 Ford F250 6.0 Turbo Diesel
1963 Studebaker Avanti
1956 Studebaker Hawk custom with a supercharged Packard V8
1955 Studebaker custom pickup with a Packard V8

BoltEV

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:48 pm

PackardV8 wrote: He and I discussed it and agreed the REx option on the BMW sort of negated the idea of owning a BEV for urban everyday use.

What is REx option?

Please explain this sentence.

SparkE

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:49 am

BoltEV wrote:
PackardV8 wrote: He and I discussed it and agreed the REx option on the BMW sort of negated the idea of owning a BEV for urban everyday use.

What is REx option?

BMW i3-speak for Range Extender (i.e., the petrol engine that kicks in when the battery runs out)

BoltEV

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:34 pm

SparkE wrote:I am hoping that prices will be around $10-12k.

The only used Bolt EVs you are going to find at that price range, if at all, in the upcoming 12 months are going to be those used for Lyft/Uber driving with 100K+ miles on them

SparkE wrote:
BoltEV wrote:

What is REx option?

BMW i3-speak for Range Extender (i.e., the petrol engine that kicks in when the battery runs out)
Thanks for that explanation!

“Petrol” - ?? Do you live in the British portion of the San Francisco Bay Area?

SparkE

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:37 am

I worked in the U.K for awhile, I watch a lot of British TV shows (Graham Norton "Chat" Show is amazingly funny about half the time and amusing most of the other 50%) and I have quite a few Canadian and British (and Australian) friends.

Sometimes I call it petrol, other times gas. I also often use the term that most people around the world use to describe "Soccer" : football. But then I used to watch Soccer games on the Spanish channels back in the day, before it was common to see them broadcast with English commentary in the States, so ... futbol.

BoltEV

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 am

Thank you for the favour of a reply! :lol:

BoltEV

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:39 pm

Did anyone else get one of these “July 4th - turn in your lease” letters?

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”