BoltEV
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: experience with lease return process?

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:51 pm

astroboy wrote: i didn't realize there was a lease return fee but..

I was the first 2017 Bolt EV off the lot of my dealer. Their Term Sheet never mentioned this fee which was a new addition to the GM Financial lease terms, as they knew.

As I was signing all the paperwork to finalize the deal, I blew a cork when I read it!

We compromised by their reducing the down payment by $200.

I ultimately got the $395 fee waived when I purchased a 2019 Bolt EV

Did you make Tesla aware of this fee when to came over to their side of the street?

Are there miles left on your current Bolt EV lease? Maybe you can get some value out of their failure to accept it back and get some use for your $395 return fee.

astroboy
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:37 pm
Location: i represent the Yay Area

Re: experience with lease return process?

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:05 pm

tesla is strictly my way or the highway... no negotiations and in fact if they inform you your car is ready to pick up and you can't get it within 2 days, they give it to someone else. so i guess i'm going to eat the lease termination fee. hey someone has to pay for autovin to come out and inspect the car! ain't gonna be GM if they can help it.

further updates - i received an email from GM saying "can't return the car?! no problem! we'll just extend your lease for you!!" i talked to customer service about this a couple more times and they claim that they will not charge me another month's payment - i emphasized to them that i don't need the car and don't intend to drive it. they claim they won't charge me. but we'll know when the middle of the month comes around. it would be insult to injury for them to charge me to store their car for them.

SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: experience with lease return process?

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:10 pm

astroboy wrote:tesla is strictly my way or the highway... no negotiations and in fact if they inform you your car is ready to pick up and you can't get it within 2 days, they give it to someone else. so i guess i'm going to eat the lease termination fee. hey someone has to pay for autovin to come out and inspect the car! ain't gonna be GM if they can help it.

further updates - i received an email from GM saying "can't return the car?! no problem! we'll just extend your lease for you!!" i talked to customer service about this a couple more times and they claim that they will not charge me another month's payment - i emphasized to them that i don't need the car and don't intend to drive it. they claim they won't charge me. but we'll know when the middle of the month comes around. it would be insult to injury for them to charge me to store their car for them.


Get all of their responses in writing! Or in email! You can't prove "what you were told" and they can change their mind later.

BoltEV
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 am

Re: experience with lease return process?

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 pm

SparkE wrote:
astroboy wrote:Get all of their responses in writing! Or in email! You can't prove "what you were told" and they can change their mind later.

Back in 2002, VW had an internet ad saying that buyers of new beetles would get in a new iPod for free with purchase.

After my daughter bought one, I asked the dealer for the free iPod and was told: “oh no. The promotion does not include convertibles! “

I went home and went to their website and sure enough they had change the ad.

So I printed out a copy of the screenshot that I had made of the previous ad, brought it back to the dealer and got a new iPod! :)

astroboy
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:37 pm
Location: i represent the Yay Area

Re: experience with lease return process?

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:41 am

SparkE wrote:
astroboy wrote:tesla is strictly my way or the highway... no negotiations and in fact if they inform you your car is ready to pick up and you can't get it within 2 days, they give it to someone else. so i guess i'm going to eat the lease termination fee. hey someone has to pay for autovin to come out and inspect the car! ain't gonna be GM if they can help it.

further updates - i received an email from GM saying "can't return the car?! no problem! we'll just extend your lease for you!!" i talked to customer service about this a couple more times and they claim that they will not charge me another month's payment - i emphasized to them that i don't need the car and don't intend to drive it. they claim they won't charge me. but we'll know when the middle of the month comes around. it would be insult to injury for them to charge me to store their car for them.


Get all of their responses in writing! Or in email! You can't prove "what you were told" and they can change their mind later.


it's all in the chat log, which is still on their server as of this minute. i can certainly screenshot it or save the text.

i guess i won't know until the 26th of april if they charged me for another month. they certainly didn't charge in march but that was to be expected.

Return to “Buying / Leasing / Dealerships”