Chevrolet Bolt vs Tesla Model 3

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchev

I've seen a lot of talk about the comparison between the Chevy Bolt EV and the Tesla Model 3.
I don't really think they're comparable.

But when did anybody go to BMW looking for a $40 thousand dollar sedan, and then decide nope, I'll just buy a 4 seater Chevy Spark?

Sure, ok, except that I assume you use the Honda Fit as an example because it's actually only $15 thousand, not $40..

I think people will compare the Bolt EV and the Tesla Model 3 because those are (currently) the only 2 electric vehicles offering a range of 200+ miles.

If someone wants a 200 mile electric vehicle, they might not want to buy a $60,000 vehicle, and their requirement isn't luxury.
Those people will definitely cross-shop the Bolt electric vehicle, the LEAF 2.0, and any other vehicle that offers that kind of range.

Even at that, I'd say that luxury/premium is subjective, where as EV mileage isn't (unless you have a unique downhill-both-ways commute).

As a Volt owner, I'd say the interior is more 'premium' than the Model S - all Tesla did was put a big screen in the dash.
Tesla needs to take it down to a more manageable screen (10 inch maybe), improve the dash layout, and make comfier seats (which I think there is now a seat upgrade available).

You also have to remember that we've seen the Bolt (we haven't seen the Model 3) and it isn't a sub-compact like the Fit EV...

Also, Elon himself has recently said the Model 3 will be a simple/basic car, it has to be to be in that price point!

The internal-combustion cross shopping that goes on is a little different than what happens with EVs.

Typicaly I buy German luxury vehicles. When I started looking for an EV/Range-extended BEV I was looking at the i3 and the 2016 Volt, very different cars in terms of class and fit&finish, but for me, the Volt is what I'm goign with.

It's not the money, it's the use case that trumped all.

Between the Bolt EV, Model 3, and other EVs, cross shopping is heavily dictated by range and use, not by class or prestige etc.

If the Bolt comes to market with the specs GM is promoting, I will be cross-shopping the Bolt EV and Model 3 as replacement for my 2016 Volt.

Seating is for only 4 in the concept Bolt EV, so that much we know is the same as the i3, but different than the Model 3. That only will separate the buying decision for some.

gmvoltguy said:
As a Volt owner, I'd say the interior is more 'premium' than the Model S - all Tesla did was put a big screen in the dash.

Seriously?

Driven both.
Tesla is hands down far far nicer inside than Volt.
Cannot believe I needed to reply to tell you this.

There is 0 chance I am cross shopping a Tesla with anything else at this time, there is just nothing in the league of the Model S, and I expect that to be the case with every product they make, namely, changing the game in the price range.

Good on GM for making the Volt, and for the times I drove in one, it handled well and did it's job, but it certainly cannot hold a candle to any Tesla I've been in, for ride, comfort, usability or luxury.

Maybe it depends on the vintage of Tesla - yes, the materials are nice in the Tesla, but the fit-and-finish wasn't up to mass-produced vehicle standards when the Model S first came out. I guess it's a matter of opinion too.

gmvoltguy said:
Even at that, I'd say that luxury/premium is subjective, where as EV mileage isn't (unless you have a unique downhill-both-ways commute).

Tesla needs to take it down to a more manageable screen (10 inch maybe), improve the dash layout, and make comfier seats (which I think there is now a seat upgrade available).

Agreed. I'm not a fan of Tesla's interiors. Bolt EV has the better interior of the two.

Back