Ioniq vs Bolt: 124 miles or $9,280?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw an Ioniq (hybrid) parked on the street. It looked like it had a fairly low roof, but it was parked next to some trucks and SUVs.

Its dimension spec is 176" * 72" * 57". The 57" height is similar to that of "regular cars" like the Hyundai Accent, Elantra, and Sonata.

The Bolt is small and tall in comparison at 164" * 70" * 63".

(( Post copied from http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=194&p=20689#p20689 ))

dDF said:
Diggle said:
Do you guys think Chevy Bolt is better than Hyundai IONIQ?
Frankly, I do not understand Ioniq's purpose on the US market. Even as other manufacturers (who want a slice of action in the upcoming EV party) are sweating blood to come up with a 200-250 mile, highly distinct car, Hyundai surprises us with a 120-mile Ioniq EV that looks like a facelifted 2009 Insight. I am sure Ioniq offers great value for money and long warranty, but it can be a primary everyday car for maybe 1% of the US drivers.

The Bolt, as of May 2017, is the only available utilitarian EV, that's why it has to be better than Ioniq :D

Just because the Ioniq doesn't meet YOUR needs, doesn't mean that it won't be attractive to other buyers. 125 mile range would suit me fine (for almost $10K less), and Hyundai is working on offering a larger battery for 2018. As a data point, about 17.5 million cars were sold in the US last year. You mentioned 1%. 1% of 17.5 million is 175,000. I think that Hyundai would be ecstatic if they could sell 175,000 Ioniqs. Or 17,500 (10% of 1%).

SparkE said:
Just because the Ioniq doesn't meet YOUR needs, doesn't mean that it won't be attractive to other buyers. 125 mile range would suit me fine (for almost $10K less), and Hyundai is working on offering a larger battery for 2018. As a data point, about 17.5 million cars were sold in the US last year. You mentioned 1%. 1% of 17.5 million is 175,000. I think that Hyundai would be ecstatic if they could sell 175,000 Ioniqs. Or 17,500 (10% of 1%).

I did not say that Ioniq is unattractive to all buyers. And neither did I say I couldn't put an Ioniq to good use, to the tune of 20K miles a year easily.

The point is that the 2017 Ioniq doesn't have the range to fill the role of the only vehicle of a typical US owner. This seems like a limitation to me, and the automotive industry agrees (hence everyone's effort to extend the range to above 200 mi).

Let's talk about 2018 Ionic's range (and price) when it shows up in the dealerships.

dDF said:
SparkE said:

I did not say that Ioniq is unattractive to all buyers. And neither did I say I couldn't put an Ioniq to good use, to the tune of 20K miles a year easily.

The point is that the 2017 Ioniq doesn't have the range to fill the role of the only vehicle of a typical US owner. This seems like a limitation to me, and the automotive industry agrees (hence everyone's effort to extend the range to above 200 mi).

Let's talk about 2018 Ionic's range (and price) when it shows up in the dealerships.

You keep changing your objection to the Ioniq. First you "do not understand IONIQ's purpose on the US market". It's purpose is to provide 124 miles of range. It would be a fantastic second car for a family/couple. Second, you said "it can be a primary everyday car for maybe 1% of the US drivers". But then (in your most recent post) you said "Ioniq doesn't have the range to fill the role of the only vehicle of a typical US owner". Surely you don't think that 99% of the U.S. drivers only have one car available? ("primary car for 1% of US drivers"). But even if that were true, the Ioniq would fit the needs of 175,000 car buyers a year (using your 1% argument).

I think that most married households wouldn't be overly bothered if one of their two cars had a 124-mile limit. How often every a year do both drivers have to drive over 100 miles the same day, in both of their cars, simultaniously? Supposing that only 33% of the new vehicles sold in the US are sold into two-driver households (a pretty low percentage I think, but let's be conservative), and let's suppose that only 33% of THOSE sales are cars instead of trucks, or SUVs (again, pretty low) - that's 11% of the annual vehicle sales - a lot larger than 1% (which was already 175K vehicles). 11% of 17.5M is around 1.9 million. That's a pretty large pool of possible buyers for an Ioniq.

The target audience for the Ioniq EV most likely *starts* with anybody who was interested in (especially if they bought) a 80-ish or 104-ish mile range LEAF, Golf, Focus, etc. Now, since the Ioniq has greater range, that should interest MORE than the people who were interested in those earlier, other makes with lower range. Since it is less expensive than the LEAF, Golf, etc were until recently - I would think that more people would be interested as well. And I would also imagine that some of the people who were put off two/three years ago because of the limited availability of public charging stations (both L2 and DCFC) would be interested *today* because there are a LOT more charging stations (especially DCFCs) around than there were 2-3 years ago (at least that is true in California). So, Ioniq EV has longer range than any other BEV sold in the US for under $60,000 - check. Ioniq EV is $1-4K less expensive than 2018 model BEVs with LESS range - check. Ioniq EV is almost $10K less expensive than the Bolt (for people who don't need a 240-mile range vehicle, and would rather have $10,000) - check.

At any rate, since the Ioniq EV is only being sold in California, I would guess that Hyundai's target audience are California residents. Quite possibly only couples/families, who have another vehicle available for longer drives. Since Hyundai is limiting their sales to CA, I would guess that their main purpose in sales of the Ionic EV (and PHEV) is to get ZEV/CARB credits. 1-2000 is probably more than enough to meet their needs in the first year. And since they developed the vehicle as multi-engine (hybrid, PHEV, and BEV), it really doesn't matter if they only sell 1000 BEVs - the development cost for the model is pretty much spread across sales of all the models.

I hope that helps you with your understanding of the "IONIQ's purpose on the US market".

Oh, and your comment on "everyone's effort to extend the range to above 200 mi". Please tell me what BEVs Ford has announced (even if not shipping today) that has a range over 200 miles? Chrysler? Toyota? Honda? Mazda? Mercedes? Subaru? (Volvo, Fiat, Renault, Citroen, Tata, ...) Honda's most recent BEV announcement (in April) was for a car with 80-mile range.

SparkE said:

The OP asked whether the 2017 Bolt or the 2017 Ioniq was a better car. He/She didn't ask whether it was a cheaper car. He/She didn't ask about hypothetical Ioniq in year of our Lord 20XX.

By stating that the Ioniq EV "target audience are California residents", you essentially agreed that it's a car for the California, not US market. Wicked tongues may add it's a glorified compliance car, but you will never, ever hear me use the "c-word" in this distinguished forum.

And now it's time for some yard work, because too much rhetoric leads to sedentary lifestyle :)

Original post said :

oilerlord said:
Now that pricing is out on the Ioniq Electric, I thought it would be interesting to get opinions based on a range vs MSRP perspective. A lot of us are still driving / making do with 80 mile cars.

Hyundai Ioniq Electric Limited (EPA Range: 124 miles / $32,500):

Chevy Bolt EV Premier (EPA Range: 238 miles / $41,780)

Do you grab the $9,280 savings and settle for 124 miles, or pony up the extra bucks for 238 miles?

He never asked "which was better" - it was clearly labeled a "range vs MSRP" question. You keep changing the argument or the question that was asked - in every post you've made on this topic ...

Are you aware of the meaning of a 'straw man' argument? A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an argument, while refuting an argument that was not advanced.

Only 124 miles would not be enough for me. If it were, I would have considered a Leaf or Spark. Never did.

I usually charge my Bolt after about 130 miles, leaving about 100 miles of range, but that gives me a sense of comfort that I'd never have in a Leaf, Spark or Iconiq.

It's also NOT actually $9280 more out of pocket unless you're paying cash and who does that on a depreciating "asset" like a car?

If you lease, it'll raise the lease price a fraction but the calculation of the increase can get really complicated but I doubt that it would add much more than about $15/mo or $540 over the duration of a 3 year lease.

If you buy, that'll add to the financed cost as well but that will be offset by the trade-in or sale price later. So, hard to tell exactly how much more the Bolt will actually cost in the end but I seriously doubt that it will be the full $9280 difference in price.

Deals can probably be found on both cars, and leasing varies I'm sure. I wanted to keep it simple, so I used MSRP as a comparison.

So, I'm guessing there is no question you would pay an extra $9,280 for those 114 extra EPA miles of range?

oilerlord said:
So, I'm guessing there is no question you would pay an extra $9,280 for those 114 extra EPA miles of range?
The Bolt also gives you:
70% more horsepower
Much better rear seat headroom
"Sportier" suspension
US availability outside of select markets within CA
Slightly faster L2 charging
CarPlay/Android Auto for Navigation (no update charges)
Better warranty for battery degradation (US Ioniqs have degradation excluded completely)

Ioniq benefits:
"Real" seats with power and memory as an option
Heat pump
Slightly faster CCS charge rate (on paper - not sure the time savings of 100 kW vs 80 kW charging on a 28 kWh pack - if you could find a 100 kW station).
Built in Navigation (~$200 per update)
Sunroof available
Lifetime battery warranty to the original owner - excluding degradation. (vs the 8yr 100K warranty mandated by the gov't for all EV's)

Other minor differences as well. Styling/form factor may be an influence

Most people will not actually have the opportunity to decide between the two.

sgt1372 said:
It's also NOT actually $9280 more out of pocket unless you're paying cash and who does that on a depreciating "asset" like a car?

With cash or finance, either way, you assume the cost and risk of depreciation.

With lease, you pay for a specified amount of depreciation over the lease term, but the lease company assumes the risk of the depreciation being worse than the specified amount.

Of course, incentives that may exist at any given time may affect which option is more attractive than the other.

oilerlord said:

I only paid $2k net down and am paying $282 (excluding sales tax, which is different for everyone) for my Bolt. Total cost over the lease term would be about $12,152. Seriously doubt you can get a lease for any Iconiq for $9280 less.

Now you're just being obtuse. The $9,280 was comparing purchase price not lease pricing. I would expect the lease pricing would be appropriately similar in percentage of reduced cost since they both start with a purchase price and an estimate of depreciation. Unless there is some undisclosed or unique variable such as incentives, tax credit slight of hand, etc. the lease number "should" be approximately 1/4 less. This would equate to a 36 month total out of pocket of around $9,000 or $3,000 less than the bolt.

I'd still go for the Bolt over the Ioniq because the Bolt gives me longer range and a form factor that is more usable to me. The price differential between the two vehicles is pointless largely due to those two issues.

oilerlord said:
Deals can probably be found on both cars, and leasing varies I'm sure. I wanted to keep it simple, so I used MSRP as a comparison.

Ultimately, I guess I answered this question by ending up with an e-Golf. It's still the old version with only 80 miles of range too, so not 114 miles, but more like 155 miles difference. Part of me wanted to go with the Bolt, and I believe it's a better car, but I just couldn't stomach the price.

In the end I couldn't pass up the very inexpensive lease in the e-Golf. The Bolt would have cost me twice as much over the course of the lease (after all tax, rebates, etc.), and the truth is I don't need 200 miles of range often enough to justify it.

Nagorak said:
In the end I couldn't pass up the very inexpensive lease in the e-Golf. The Bolt would have cost me twice as much over the course of the lease (after all tax, rebates, etc.), and the truth is I don't need 200 miles of range often enough to justify it.

Same here.

How much more we'd pay for another X miles of range is an interesting question. It seems so obvious...$9K more to go from 124 miles of range to a car with 238 miles is a slam dunk; isn't it? It is, the until the reality of having to open your wallet wider sets in.

Like you, I bought my 90 mile car for about half the price of a Bolt. To me, which car was "better" was irrelevant. The prospect of spending nearly double only for the extra range was a non-starter. Couldn't justify it given I have access to cars that are capable of up to 700 miles, that take less than 5 minutes to "charge".

Congrats on your e-Golf. Nice machine. I dig VW's.

My typical daily commute was roughly 100 miles a day, with some occasional side trips thrown in for good measure. In order for me to be comfortable driving an EV as my daily driver to work, I wanted a car that had enough range that I didn't have to rely on chargers at work to get home, would allow me to take some side trips, and still left me with enough range for emergency situations. I figured 150 is what I needed to be comfortable. The Bolt meets that requirement with plenty to spare.

Other than an expensive Tesla, nothing else in the market works, not even the Ioniq.

Dgodfrey said:
Now you're just being obtuse. The $9,280 was comparing purchase price not lease pricing. I would expect the lease pricing would be appropriately similar in percentage of reduced cost since they both start with a purchase price and an estimate of depreciation. Unless there is some undisclosed or unique variable such as incentives, tax credit slight of hand, etc. the lease number "should" be approximately 1/4 less. This would equate to a 36 month total out of pocket of around $9,000 or $3,000 less than the bolt.

Ioniq leases are $275/mo under their unlimited mileage lease and they rebate back your energy usage.

EV leases are not really reflective of the MSRP, they are reflective of how badly the manufacturer wants to move vehicles. In the case of the Bolt is is pretty easy to get $7000+ in dealer discounts and GM incentives on a lease and a high residual. What Hyundai is offering isn't clear as they haven't sold many, I suspect they are not offering any lease deals other than their unlimited mileage deal ($275/mo $2500 down plus tax).

That is pretty comparable to Bolt lease deals if you ignore the unlimited mileage and rebates for electricity.

Dgodfrey said:
Now you're just being obtuse. The $9,280 was comparing purchase price not lease pricing.

Obtuse? I think not.

OP did not specify lease or purchase. Just presented the choice of 124 miles or $9280, which I rearded as a false dichotomy, which I think was entirely on point.

sgt1372 said:
Dgodfrey said:
Now you're just being obtuse. The $9,280 was comparing purchase price not lease pricing.

Obtuse? I think not.

OP did not specify lease or purchase. Just presented the choice of 124 miles or $9280, which I rearded as a false dichotomy, which I think was entirely on point.

Au Contraire, not only does the OP specifically ask the question as it applies to MSRP, he also screen grabs both the Ionic and the Bolt's window sticker.

As to Sparkyps comment of comparing lease prices, I specifically stated " Unless there is some undisclosed or unique variable such as incentives, tax credit slight of hand", and how does ignoring rebates and unlimited mileage level the playing field? While we're at it, let's ignore the $7k dealer discount and manufacturers incentives too.
A better argument for the Bolt would be if you were to equate how much per mile of range (assuming range is all that matters). Based on that metric, the Ionic costs $262/mile whereas the Bolt is only $175/mile.

Back