Hyundai Ioniq Numbers Flatten Chevy Bolt, Toyota Prius

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westernkicks

From site to dailysunknoxville.com

The Hyundai Ioniq is here and it is set to take on the best hybrids and EVs currently in the market. In regards to the Toyota Prius, the official numbers of the Ioniq Hybrid has placed it well above the world’s top-seller.

The Ioniq is far more efficient that the standard Prius. The former has a 55mpg combined; 54 mpg highway, 55mpg city, while the latter has 52mpg combined; 50mpg highway, 54mpg city.

The Prius Eco, on the other hand, has 56mpg combined (53mpg highway, 58mpg city), but even that is not enough to beat the Ioniq Blue which has a 58mpg combined (57mpg highway, 59mpg city).

The Toyota hybrid isn’t the only one losing out to the Ioniq. The Chevrolet Bolt, despite being quite hot in the market right now, also falls short when placed next to the Ioniq Electric, which has been dubbed the most efficient electric car ever rated in the country.

The all-electric Hyundai has a combined equivalent fuel economy rating of 125MPGe while the Bolts sits at 119MPGe. The BMW i3 is the closes to the Hyundai with its 124MPGe combined. The world’s best-selling all-electric vehicle, the Nissan Leaf, is even lower at 112MPGe.

The Hyundai Ioniq has been garnering a lot of love from consumers as its Electric version has generated 1,300 buyers in South Korea, marking a 57 percent of the total EV sales for the market.

This would differ stateside, but it seems pretty obvious that the new Korean model would be a strong competitor to the Toyota Prius, Chevrolet Bolt, as well as the Nissan Lead in the U.S.

Misleading. The Ioniq has less than half the electric-only range of the Bolt so that's much less battery weight, but more importantly the Ioniq is streamlined much like the Volt, and like the Volt it has limited outward visibility due to that, as well as compromised rear seat headroom and luggage space. The Bolt was deliberately not made aerodynamic in order to maximize its practicality.

Yea, I found that article to be bogus also. There was a previous version of the same article posted last week. I submitted a comment (which didn't appear to be posted) noting that the Bolt has vastly superior range and that miles per kWh is important but total range is going to trump absolute efficiency for most purchasers.

Every article from that site is bogus. It appears to be a Chinese software news regurgitator of some kind.

CGameProgrammer said:
Misleading. The Ioniq has less than half the electric-only range of the Bolt so that's much less battery weight, but more importantly the Ioniq is streamlined much like the Volt, and like the Volt it has limited outward visibility due to that, as well as compromised rear seat headroom and luggage space. The Bolt was deliberately not made aerodynamic in order to maximize its practicality.

Wrong.

The Ioniq's EPA range at 124 miles is actually more (not less) than half the Bolt's range, and accomplishes that with only 28 kWh.

MPGe city/highway/combined:

Bolt: 128/110/119
Ioniq: 150/122/136

https://electrek.co/2016/11/21/hyundai-ioniq-electric-efficient-electric-car-epa/

While you may be right that the Bolt was deliberately not made aerodynamic (0.32), it would appear that the Ionic achieved both practicality AND aerodynamics (0.24).

Bolt / Ioniq electric Passenger volume: 94 cu ft / 96.2 cu ft
Bolt / Ioniq electric Cargo volume: 17 cu ft / 23.8 cu ft

Given the Ioniq's superior aerodynamics, I wouldn't exactly call the Ioniq's rear headroom "compromised" (Bolt: 37.9" vs Ioniq 37.4"). Perhaps you shouldn't judge an EV only by the size of it's battery. Never thought I'd say this in my lifetime, but this Hyundai is the real deal.

oilerlord said:
Perhaps you shouldn't judge an EV only by the size of it's battery. Never thought I'd say this in my lifetime, but this Hyundai is the real deal.
I judge by its range. Which one can do it more efficiently doesn't become a factor for me until there's more than one choice that meets my range requirement.

Yes. It looks nice, but the range is inadequate for me. The range anxiety/inconvenience would ruin it, regardless of other features.

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
Perhaps you shouldn't judge an EV only by the size of it's battery. Never thought I'd say this in my lifetime, but this Hyundai is the real deal.
I judge by its range. Which one can do it more efficiently doesn't become a factor for me until there's more than one choice that meets my range requirement.

I judge a car by its ability to do certain trips for me. I'm not afraid to compromise on range for efficiency, especially because increased efficiency improves effective recharge time (miles per minute of QCing).

Of course, in the case of the Ioniq, the range is so much shorter than the efficiency cannot make up for it. Break-even would probably still be near 200 miles (compared to the 238-mile Bolt)

Efficiency of all electric cars is so much higher than that of ICE vehicles that it's insignificant. Real important is acceptance. And for a car to be accepted, important performance characteristics are:

1. Range
2. Charging speed
3. Speed/acceleration

Efficiency is important mainly to the extent it influences range and charging speed.

People puff efficiency only when they have nothing more important to puff

This is a silly article, for the reasons already posted. However, the car itself is an excellent effort. Bjorn Nyland's YouTube videos from Norway do justice to the car. It is no joke and yes, Hyundai did a nice job with it. They have acknowledged it needs 200 miles range to be a real competitor. However, if the car was for sale at a reasonable price(considering the 124 mile range), it could do well. There are a lot of people that would gladly drive this, even with "only" 124 miles. it's just not competitive in the current or coming stage of EV's. Again though, it's a real nice car, loaded with gadgets and if priced well, could still sell.

Lou

Also, if the US price is in the high 30s like the article suggests in Europe, it's DOA.

Same price gets you a Bolt. A 2017 Focus electric, fully equipped with leather seats, Nav, 33 kWh, etc is $10k less.

GetOffYourGas said:
SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:

I judge a car by its ability to do certain trips for me. I'm not afraid to compromise on range for efficiency, especially because increased efficiency improves effective recharge time (miles per minute of QCing).

Of course, in the case of the Ioniq, the range is so much shorter than the efficiency cannot make up for it. Break-even would probably still be near 200 miles (compared to the 238-mile Bolt)

"I Judge by its range".

Isn't that interesting. Range is now the deal breaker, but at the same time (EDIT: "some of us") continue to sell the concept that we only "need" a range of 40 miles or less per day because 99% of the time - it's all we drive. :roll:

I also point out to others on EV and ICE boards that 40 miles of range is about the national daily average we drive. Further, and in my experience, I've put over 6000 miles on my 87 mile EV since June, and only once have we had to take my wife's car because of a range concern. With that said, an EV with a 124 mile range is 42% more range than I have now. 124 miles is a big upgrade for those of us driving Leafs, Sparks, Focus's, and B250e's.

I judge a car by a variety of factors that also include price, interior comfort, cargo space, and styling - things that make the Hyundai an impressive overall package. If I only cared about range, I'd still be driving my TDI with it's incredible 600 miles and fast charging in 5 minutes or less.

oilerlord said:
Isn't that interesting. Range is now the deal breaker, but at the same time Sean, you and others continue to sell the concept that we only "need" a range of 40 miles or less per day because 99% of the time - it's all we drive. :roll:

I also point out to others on EV and ICE boards that 40 miles of range is about the national daily average we drive. Further, and in my experience, I've put over 6000 miles on my 87 mile EV since June, and only once have we had to take my wife's car because of a range concern. With that said, an EV with a 124 mile range is 42% more range than I have now. 124 miles is a big upgrade for those of us driving Leafs, Sparks, Focus's, and B250e's.

I judge a car by a variety of factors that also include price, interior comfort, cargo space, and styling - things that make the Hyundai an impressive overall package. If I only cared about range, I'd still be driving my TDI every day. It has an incredible range of 600 miles, and fast charges in 5 minutes or less.

I don't think people have been claiming that 40 miles is good enough 99% of the time, but rather that it is the average. That claim has in turn been used to support 80 mile class cars as "plenty".

I have never agreed that 80 miles is enough. Instead I feel that "enough" is something that will suffice almost all the time, perhaps 99% is a good number since that means three days a year it won't work.

The 200 mile class Bolt will surely do that for me. A 120 mile class car will, as you point out, be far better than an 80 mile class car, but I think there will still be plenty of days I would need to take the Volt instead.

How much more am I willing to pay to go from 120 mile class to 200 mile class? Hard to say, surely more than $10/month, probably not as much as $100 a month. If the Hyundai is $50 cheaper a month than a comparably equipped Bolt, I would consider it. If not, probably not.

The 100 mile class Focus Electric will probably be nearly $200 cheaper than a Bolt. Even so, I can't imagine getting one. I served my time in an 80 mile car, not doing anything like that again.

Probably depends on where you live.

In Texas, there's almost no difference between a 80 mile car and a 100 mile car. Even 150 miles really doesn't help. All the major towns are ~180 miles apart (except San Antonio and Austin, which are about 70 miles).

But there's no doubt that somebody will look at the specs and say "oh, huh. this one has 50% more range for the same price. " and ignore the hyundai, regardless of how 'efficient it is' because it's the same price for "less".

Gatedad said:
There are a lot of people that would gladly drive this, even with "only" 124 miles.
I'm going to be watching what happens to the sales of the 100+mile EVs with great interest as the Bolt EV and then (eventually) the Tesla Model 3 rolls out. They're going to have to drop the prices on them a fair bit in order for them to be competitive. The big question in my mind is: how much?

We already have some indication of the market size for 100+mile EVs, because the people who want them have pretty much all already bought them. But how many people have been waiting for a 200+mile EV? I know I have, and given the 400,000 Tesla pre-orders I suspect I'm far from being alone. If the 200+mile EV market is a lot larger than the 100+mile market (as I suspect to be the case) then those 100+mile EVs are going to have to sell for awfully cheap.

oilerlord said:
"I Judge by its range".

Isn't that interesting. Range is now the deal breaker, but at the same time Sean, you and others continue to sell the concept that we only "need" a range of 40 miles or less per day because 99% of the time - it's all we drive. :roll:
I have never, ever said that. I'm retired and don't commute (and never did commute by car), so my trips are all over the map. Last year I made 40 trips of more than 100 miles. And even though they were only 15% of all my trips they are important to me and too numerous for me to consider renting another car for them. That's why I've been waiting for a 200+mile EV.

I'm not trying to tell other people how to choose vehicles, I'm only describing what's important to me. And if a car doesn't have enough range for the kinds of trips I want to take in it then I'm not going to consider it even if it runs on fairy dust.

Of course one thing you're forgetting is that an average of 40 miles does not mean 40 miles most days; it can mean some days are driven 20 miles and other days are driven 60. 40 miles is very little. I drive over 20,000 miles per year which works out to 55/day but there are a lot of days I drive much more than that just around town, and others where I don't drive much or I use the motorcycle, hence the average of 55. Then there are the times you expect not to do much driving but then discover there is something urgent you want or need to do, or it's late at night but you feel like going for a drive (when a short-range EV would not have been charged yet).

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
"I Judge by its range".

Sean, you and others continue to sell the concept that we only "need" a range of 40 miles or less per day because 99% of the time - it's all we drive. :roll:

I have never, ever said that. I'm retired and don't commute (and never did commute by car), so my trips are all over the map. Last year I made 40 trips of more than 100 miles. And even though they were only 15% of all my trips they are important to me and too numerous for me to consider renting another car for them.

I apologize, post edited. Must have been someone else. I was in a debate about how much range we need based on a national study, and how a large percentage of the car buying public won't buy an EV because they believe they "need" 300+ miles of range. You mentioned that you "judge (an EV) by it's range". Thought that was a range discussion you and I were involved in. :oops:

Perhaps as Michael mentioned about his car, my love for an 87 mile EV may wane over the years as other choices hit the market. Outside of a Tesla & supercharging, a 120 mile car works just as well for us as a 200 mile car because even 200 miles isn't enough to do a multi-day road trip. Since we're going to have a second ICE car anyway, I value price, interior comfort, cargo space, and styling over 200+ miles of range.

The only thing Bolt EV has a advantage over Ioniq is the range but with the lack of DCFC both are limited to commuter car. The bolt EV without ACC is really crippled, as far as stop and go rush hour commute.

So, if we are comparing commuter car, the Ioniq wins hands down over the Bolt EV.

Ioniq
1. Most efficient overall, but more importantly, the most efficient in highway speed.
2. Has Adaptive cruise control.
3. Has all the active safety features standard.
4. DCFC standard with 100 kW charger.

Sure, more range would be nice, but I'm leasing from now on because EVs are rapidly changing that owning doesn't make sense.

Jychevyvolt said:
The only thing Bolt EV has a advantage over Ioniq is the range but with the lack of DCFC both are limited to commuter car. The bolt EV without ACC is really crippled, as far as stop and go rush hour commute.

So, if we are comparing commuter car, the Ioniq wins hands down over the Bolt EV.

Ioniq
1. Most efficient overall, but more importantly, the most efficient in highway speed.
2. Has Adaptive cruise control.
3. Has all the active safety features standard.
4. DCFC standard with 100 kW charger.

Sure, more range would be nice, but I'm leasing from now on because EVs are rapidly changing that owning doesn't make sense.

Welcome to the forum.

I think the Ioniq isn't getting the love it deserves. The more I look into this car, the more I like it. If it's sold in the low $30's (before incentives), it could be a sleeper among the EV crowd. Reviews have been very positive. I really like it's styling too.

BcEOda9.jpg

Back