Hyundai will annonce Ioniq EV for U.S. market

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkE

http://insideevs.com/hyundai-ioniq-electric-to-go-on-sale-in-u-s-this-week/

The automaker had long-promised that “Winter” would mark the starts of sales for the IONIQ Electric in the U.S. (that is, after a couple of previous delays from the initial target of “Summer” of 2016) , and with this week still being winter, it seems Hyundai will hold to that promise.

O’Brien’s confirmation of the IONIQ Electric’s arrival came to us via Ward’s Auto. The publication states: “It [Hyundai] retails hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the Sonata, but next week it will launch U.S. sales of its new IONIQ hybrid and all-electric cars. O’Brien is bullish on their potential.”

Quoting O’Brien:
Our focus was on developing a great compact car that happens to be electrified. There were around 1.1 million buyers who shopped for an EV last year, but because of cost or maintenance or durability…or that they felt the car was too underpowered…they didn’t buy one.”

“We are offering a no-excuse electrified vehicle that measures up to compact vehicles in the segment.”

Hyundai will take a soft-launch approach with IONIQ Electric. O’Brien says that a bigger marketing campaign and more widespread distribution will get underway in March 2017.

No sales target has been announced.

The plug-in hybrid version of IONIQ is now expected to go on sale in the U.S. in September 2017.

Some IONIQ Electric specs include:

135.4 electric miles in the city
110 electric miles on the highway
124 electric miles in combined driving (via a ~28 kWh battery)
City efficiency is listed at 150 MPGe
Highway is 122 MPGe
Combined is 136 MPGe
These results are well above the automaker’s expected combined rating of 125 MPGe and in fact make IONIQ Electric the most efficient car in the U.S. It even beats the updated 133 MPGe rating of the Toyota Prius Prime.

Source: Ward’s Auto

I read in one of these forums that the EV will only be sold in California in 2017, with the rest of the country to follow in 2018. This will matter to me, possibly a lot. Any more detailed info would be appreciated.

That's the Ioniq hybrid pictured, though, not the EV. The EV has a solid nose instead of a grille.

I'm interested in knowing when it will actually make it to dealers and if they're going to offer us competitive lease terms. Also, how much the base model is cut down on features vs how much more higher end models cost. I'm definitely in the market for this car though.

Nagorak said:
I'm interested in knowing when it will actually make it to dealers and if they're going to offer us competitive lease terms. Also, how much the base model is cut down on features vs how much more higher end models cost. I'm definitely in the market for this car though.

My questions as well, but I now doubt it will be in New York in time for me to consider it. I have to lease something by Memorial Day, and if the Bolt disappoints when I drive one in (hopefully) March I may just try to get a new 2016 Leaf.

LeftieBiker said:
That's the Ioniq hybrid pictured, though, not the EV. The EV has a solid nose instead of a grille.

Noticed that. The text talks about both powertrains though. I guess we will know on Friday :)

LeftieBiker said:
I read in one of these forums that the EV will only be sold in California in 2017, with the rest of the country to follow in 2018. This will matter to me, possibly a lot. Any more detailed info would be appreciated.
I heard this at the Portland Auto Show from the Hyundai reps there (not dealers/salespeople).

Announcing a 200+ mile 2018 version before you ship the 124 mile 2017 is ... a mistake? marketing blunder? someone that opened their mouth that should not have?

They earlier announced a "rental" program for California, and I believe that is what they will rolling out:
The company will offer the new Hyundai IONIQ electric through a negotiation-free monthly installment plan which includes unlimited mileage, electric charging, and scheduled maintenance. The icing on the cake is that it will not require a down payment. Kind of like an uber-lease.
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-ioniq-electric-new-unlimited-subscription-based-plan/

From the later article:
Quoting O’Brien:
“Our focus was on developing a great compact car that happens to be electrified. There were around 1.1 million buyers who shopped for an EV last year, but because of cost or maintenance or durability…or that they felt the car was too underpowered…they didn’t buy one.

Those two dovetail into a "we won't (can't because of noncompetitive specs/pricing?) sell you the car in 2017, but you can rent/lease it for 2 or 3 years until the 200 mile version is ready"

While it is possible we will see it outside of California in 2017, I think they will wait until the 200 mile version is ready before expanding sales to other markets. I hope I'm wrong and it is priced to compete with the LEAF/Prius/Prius Prime and available nationwide. But they've shot themselves in the foot with the statement that the 2018 model will have nearly twice the range.

Ahn Byung-ki, director of Hyundai’s eco-vehicle performance group:
“124 is not enough, and we have a plan to extend that to more than 200 by 2018.”
http://insideevs.com/200-mile-hyundai-ioniq-electric-coming-in-2018/

DucRider said:
Announcing a 200+ mile 2018 version before you ship the 124 mile 2017 is ... a mistake? marketing blunder? someone that opened their mouth that should not have?

I'm not sure it makes that much difference, actually. I think their foot was already smoking thanks to the Chevy Bolt. We already know you can get a 200+ mile EV. If someone cares about having maximum range then the Ioniq is probably not in the running to begin with.

Would it have been better if Hyundai had gotten this car out sooner, like maybe the middle of last year when some of the first rumors of its arrival circulated? Definitely. But now with the Bolt out there, the landscape has changed. Hopefully it means it will be competitively priced, because it's looking like a much better option than the current Leaf which hasn't been updated in forever.

I'd be more than happy with a 124 mile-range EV ... if it were $10,000 less expensive than the 240 mile EV. Or if it cost $199/mo ($7200 *total* over 36 months) instead of $399+/mo.

Honestly, I have made only a very, VERY small number of trips in the 12 months since I got my EV that couldn't have been done with no recharge at all in a car with a 124 miles range - in *any* of my vehicles. I went to Reno, and ... other than that, almost every other 'longish' trip either could have been made with no charge or one hour or less of L2 charging. Going from an EPA-est range of 80 to 124 miles is HUGE, as it almost doubles the amount of 'worry-free' round-trip range (from about 60 to about 100). Sure, it isn't going to be the ONLY vehicle for many, but as the second vehicle in a family, it would be great.

And since batteries are a huge investment in an EV, having half the batteries should make the car significantly less expensive to make.

Personally, I think Hyundai screwed up by not releasing it in CA at the same time it was released in Korea (it's been available about 6 months).

They could still fix this, by offering that $199 lease in all of the CARB states, and doing it by April. Count me as another Leaf driver who just needs a real 100+ mile range car that is more modern (things like adjustable charge limit) than the now-warmed-over Leaf.

For me, the difference between 80 miles and 124 miles is meaningless. I live in a small city (Syracuse, NY). Everything I need (home, work, play, errands, etc) resides within the county, which is roughly a square, 30 miles on edge. But I'm a bit of a weekend warrior, often traveling 200-300 miles (one direction), about 25-30 weekends/year. A lot of people who live here follow a similar pattern. So my 2012 Leaf (with its ~40 mile winter range / ~75 mile summer range) can do almost everything a 124-mile Ioniq can do.

The Bolt is a game changer. With a single QC stop of ~15 minutes in each direction, it can handle most of my weekend excursions. 200 miles + QC is bare minimum for an EV to be significantly more useful than my Leaf.

SparkE said:
Sure, it isn't going to be the ONLY vehicle for many, but as the second vehicle in a family, it would be great.

I like to go a step farther. An EV isn't great for one's ONLY car, but it is ideal for one's PRIMARY car. I know we're basically saying the same thing, but the point is that the EV is the go-to car, and you only use your ICE for the occasional long trip. And that makes the ICE your secondary car.

GetOffYourGas said:
For me, the difference between 80 miles and 124 miles is meaningless. I live in a small city (Syracuse, NY). Everything I need (home, work, play, errands, etc) resides within the county, which is roughly a square, 30 miles on edge. But I'm a bit of a weekend warrior, often traveling 200-300 miles (one direction), about 25-30 weekends/year. A lot of people who live here follow a similar pattern. So my 2012 Leaf (with its ~40 mile winter range / ~75 mile summer range) can do almost everything a 124-mile Ioniq can do.

The Bolt is a game changer. With a single QC stop of ~15 minutes in each direction, it can handle most of my weekend excursions. 200 miles + QC is bare minimum for an EV to be significantly more useful than my Leaf.

My first thought was "how could he so obviously miss my point?" Then I remembered that I *lost* the first post I typed, and retyped before posting (a smaller amount) - and left out MY MAIN POINT. Jeez.

The Ioniq would be a GREAT car for a large number of people. They shouldn't be trying to make it a perfect car for everybody, or even for 80% of the people. The Ioniq would be a fantastic fit for well over 80% of the people I know and interact with on a daily basis (and I realize that I live in a rather rare and unusual environment, but still). This car is great as a second vehicle for a family, where one member commutes < 50 miles one way OR one member spends most days driving less than 100 miles (daily) in an urban/suburban environment AND there are either lots of public L2 opportunities or a place to charge overnight.

The Ioniq (or any 120-140 mi-range EV) could have a HUGE success completely ignoring 3/4s of the populace - ignore singles (or anybody with only one car) and/or those who live in smaller cities without urban sprawl. By concentrating sales opportunities (stock the EVs here) in large urban and suburban metro areas - BINGO. The difference betwen 60 or 100 miles of worry-free, stress-free driving range is HUGE in that situation (for those people I first described - families/couples). It makes it a perfectly viable 2nd car choice. And the other people? Forget them - your car isn't built for them, so just admit that and concentrate on those who DO fit the profile. You arguably have the best car for those people (if yours is $8000 less to acquire than the 240 mi range vehicle, and goes further than all the others in your price range).

Hyundai Ioniq pricing by trim line announced:

http://www.hyundainews.com/us/en/media/pressreleases/47398/2017-hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-and-electric-models-are-priced-to-attract-entirely-new-eco-focused-buyers

(including delivery charge)

$23,035 hybrid Blue
$24,785 hybrid SEL
$28,335 hybrid Limited

$30,335 electric
$33,335 electric Limited

However, other Hyundais like the Elantra and Sonata have additional options beyond the Limited trim. If you want all of the driver assistance stuff like automatic emergency braking on those other Hyundais, you need to add the Tech package and Ultimate package, which are $4,400 on the Elantra and $5,150 on the Sonata. So if the Ioniq has a similar option structure, the fully loaded one could be about $38,000-$39,000.

Holy SHIT! That is CHEAP! The Ioniq EV is going to absolutely rape LEAF sales in CA at that price! (Yes, I sound like a company shill, but DAMN!!! that's CHEAP!)

The 2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid starts at $23,035
Or, choose a fully electric Ioniq for $30,035.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/14/2017-hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-23035-price/

A 124-mile EPA-range EV for $30K. The LEAF doesn't have a chance (unless they drastically drop prices, OR quickly come out with increased range, or both). I had heard elsewhere that the Ioniq EV will only be offered in CA and OR, however (hybrid model available across the U.S.).

The plug-in Hybrid is rumored to have 31 miles all-electric range. That's (just barely) enough for me! I may have just found my next car - an Ioniq PHEV as my "around town" vehicle, which is ALSO my "oops I need to drive 300 miles today" vehicle. I already have a pure electric for doing those 30-85-mile trips ...

It just occurred to me that the Ioniq EV, after a $7500 federal tax credit, is the same (approx) price as the base hybrid (Heck, cheaper!). Hmmmm. That makes it harder to decide. I wonder if the plug-in hybrid would ALSO be eligible for the tax credit...

SparkE said:
Holy SHIT! That is CHEAP!
It has to be to compete with the Bolt with almost twice the range. That's the effect that the Bolt is having on the EV marketplace - not only is it bringing greater range at a similar price, it's also driving down the price of lesser-ranged cars. You can already see it in Leaf prices.

The LEAFs are going to have to be even less expensive now. Ioniq has better fuel economy (highest MPGe) and greater range (124 vs. 107). And if Nissan lowers the price, there is the chance of a price war between Hyundai and Nissan - even better news for us consumers.

The Bolt effect on *used* electrics has been wonderful (for me, a person thinking of buying a used EV in 4-8 months - it sucks for current owners).

Back