Hyundai Kona?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
x69QcL0.jpg

Looks cool!

Kind of reminds me of an Evoke or an X6 though...a big vehicle with little interior space, and headroom sacrificed in the name of style. Article mentions availability "Fall of 2018". To set reasonable expectations, that probably means it will only be available in California, in limited numbers, in the Spring of 2019.

I wonder about headroom. Notice how high the belt line is. One of my pet peeves is that the window sill keeps climbing higher each year to accommodate airbags and crash beams. I have a theory that in a decade we'll be looking through periscopes to see the world outside.

Yea, availability is the big question. When and where...

Oh, and that rear door - looks like you have to contort yourself to get into that car over the rear wheel well. Really should be a 2-door.

ScooterCT said:
Oh, and that rear door - looks like you have to contort yourself to get into that car over the rear wheel well. Really should be a 2-door.
And that would make it easier to get into the rear seat??? :eek:

I should have said, make it a 2-door, 2-seat CUV. Believe it or not, there are lots of us who would just rather have no seats back there, and nicer cargo space.

ScooterCT said:
I should have said, make it a 2-door, 2-seat CUV. Believe it or not, there are lots of us who would just rather have no seats back there, and nicer cargo space.

Works for me, but given <1% of the market actually chooses an EV, I'm not sure taking out the kid seats in the back is one of the solutions to get more people interested in buying them.

The best 2-door, 2-seat CUV I've ever owned was my 2005 Boxster S. It had an amazing amount of cargo area given the overall size of the car, and the cargo area wasn't compromised with the top down. It took some planning, but I could put two sets of clubs in the rear trunk - including bags & shoes. I'd love to see Tesla (or someone else) re-release an electric Roadster.

Here's a more realistic picture... I think this is the gas version, but the EV should be similar.

I'm really liking it. Looks a mashup between a Cherokee and a Subaru Crosstrek. I skipped over the Bolt due to it's smaller size and kept my RAV4 EV. If the Kona delivers on the promised range, it might just be the one to replace the RAV4. I could also see this being a Model Y killer.

Kia/Hyundai is rather quiet about their EV offerings, but they're creating/promising some really nice cars. I could see them as an EV leader in a few years.

2018-hyundai-kona.jpg

Hyundai Kona Electric SUV Will Offer Two Batteries, Up To 210 Mile Range

https://gas2.org/2017/10/06/hyundai-kona-electric-suv-two-batteries-210-mile-range/

64kwh battery... this car is starting to look good.

Back