September seems like THE month for EV fans

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

September 5 is the Leaf 2 reveal. September is the Frankfurt Auto Show, and there are indications that there will be tons of EVs revealed. And by September, we should be seeing Tesla 3 in the hands of somebody other than Tesla employees.

I wonder if we might see the 2018 Bolt? Or maybe another GM EV built on the Bolt platform?

September sure was interesting. I watched the Leaf reveal live. I read up on every detail and realized that the 2018 Leaf wouldn't suit me; I really needed a 2019 Leaf (with the 60kWh battery) to be worth upgrading. Then I realized that the tax credits would be reduced or gone by then.

In October I bought a Bolt.

GetOffYourGas said:
September sure was interesting. I watched the Leaf reveal live. I read up on every detail and realized that the 2018 Leaf wouldn't suit me; I really needed a 2019 Leaf (with the 60kWh battery) to be worth upgrading.
Yeah, I and I think a lot of other people are disappointed that the longer range Leaf won't be available for over a year. Not to mention the lack of thermal management for the battery. I didn't expect to want to buy a Leaf because the Bolt just ticks every box for me (although it would have been nice to have Adaptive Cruise Control). But I waited until the reveal anyway, just in case, and then promptly ordered my Bolt.

Familiarity and comfort are not to be overlooked - especially with older drivers. I'm actually considering leasing a 2017 Leaf, with a very problematic battery chemistry, instead of leasing a faster Bolt with twice the range. And it's because of the seats and the road noise in the Bolt.

I don't find the Bolt has any more or less road noise than the Leaf. Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to care?

The seats are firm, but a non-issue for me. I can't argue with those who have a problem with them, though, since that's purely subjective.

The Bolt's OEM tires are definitely louder than either the Leaf's OEM Ecrap, er, Ecopias, or the Goodyear Eagle L/S tires I run now. I think my housemate nailed the road noise problem, despite not being at all technical-minded: the front wheels are so close to the cabin that you'd need a ton of sound-deadening material to block the noise.

In the i-MiEV I heard the tires too, and at first it kind of bothered me but at the same time I liked it because I COULD hear the tires.
Coming form a Diesel truck and not knowing if I had a flat from sound until I heard the thumpity thumpity and by then it was too late.

Ah right, OEM tires. How quickly I forget that I replaced them with another brand on my Leaf. That probably added a bunch of road noise that I simply got used to.

I don't tend to drive often without other noises present, be it radio, podcasts, or conversation. The road noise on the Bolt is a non-issue for me. I guess if you are very sensitive to that, or used to a luxuriously quiet ride, you may notice it.

Back