BMW 3 Series EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterCT

Cool, BMW is showing a pure EV 3-Series in September. Not quite official, but we can hope.

https://electrek.co/2017/06/28/bmw-3-series-electric-tesla-model-3/

EldRick said:
It's a good bet that it will cost more than a Tesla M3...

It's also a good bet that it will have a more refined dash / interior than a Tesla Model 3. It is also highly likely to have more refined handling than a Tesla.

If they built it, it will be competitive as a driving machine. The only advantages Tesla has are battery costs and charging infrastructure. Both of those could change in the future.

The author calls the 330e "half hearted". Perhaps he's never driven it. My wife and I took one out for a test drive, and we loved it. It's definitely not as nimble as her 2004 330, but If not for the steep price tag, we would have bought it.

Brian, I'm not sure I agree with your comment about a 3-series EV having "refined" handling, or that it will impress as an Ultimate Driving Machine that BMWs of the past were so famous for. This is a category where BMW has lost it's way. The new 3 series handles like a typical Lexus...soft & cushy...so if that's the new definition of refined handling - look no further. While I'm sure a 3-series EV will be quick, it will also be a massive, heavy car. Personally, I doubt that adding 900 pounds of batteries will improve handling at all.

oilerlord said:
The author calls the 330e "half hearted". Perhaps he's never driven it. My wife and I took one out for a test drive, and we loved it. It's definitely not as nimble as her 2004 330, but If not for the steep price tag, we would have bought it.

He's probably not talking about the driving characteristics, but the electrification. Many people poo-poo the idea of a short electric range PHEV. In reality, these cars can perform very well while at the same time saving a ton of gas. Especially if you, like me, do a lot of short-distance driving combined with occasional long trips. They also save cost by keeping the battery smaller.

oilerlord said:
Brian, I'm not sure I agree with your comment about a 3-series EV having "refined" handling, or that it will impress as an Ultimate Driving Machine that BMWs of the past were so famous for. This is a category where BMW has lost it's way. The new 3 series handles like a typical Lexus...soft & cushy...so if that's the new definition of refined handling - look no further. While I'm sure a 3-series EV will be quick, it will also be a massive, heavy car. Personally, I doubt that adding 900 pounds of batteries will improve handling at all.

Since we are prognosticating about a potential, future vehicle, there is really no saying. I base my statement off my experience of driving (test driving, but not owning) both a BMW 3-series and Tesla Model S. The Model S is a rocket in a straight line. But it's a bit of a one-trick pony, in that it's all about 0-60. Kind of like the Muscle Cars of days gone by. I suspect that, with all the targets Tesla is aiming for with the Model 3, somehow this won't be high on their priorities. Nor should it be - they need to sell as many of these cars as they can to survive long term. They won't do that by catering only to the rare driving enthusiast.

GetOffYourGas said:
Many people poo-poo the idea of a short electric range PHEV. In reality, these cars can perform very well while at the same time saving a ton of gas. Especially if you, like me, do a lot of short-distance driving combined with occasional long trips. They also save cost by keeping the battery smaller.

My next vehicle purchase will most likely be a PHEV. That, combined with a 100-ish mile-range BEV, are the perfect combo (for me & my family) :
- Both people drive less than 25 miles today? It doesn't matter which car is taken by whom.
- One driver will travel between 25-100 miles today (other driver < 25 mi)? First person takes BEV.
- One driver will travel OVER 100-150 miles, and no DCFC readily available (other driver < 100 mi)? First person takes PHEV.
- Family trip over 100 miles? We take PHEV.

I would prefer a PHEV that is a TRUE hybrid (gas engine designed to pollute very little) and not a REx (like the polluting i3). I also want a PHEV with an electric range >30 miles. 35 miles is enough that we really wouldn't have to limit ourselves at all or do much thinking about who takes which car on any given day. I think that 20 miles is a bit short (and the original Prius PHEV @ 11 miles was a bad joke).

With a BEV and a (30+-mile-range) PHEV, I would most likely burn gas *less* than once a month. Frankly, I think that somewhere between 15-40% of all U.S. families (at least 2 drivers) could easily fit into this usage scenario, which would reduce gasoline consumption and urban pollution by a significant amount. Hell, I think that most suburban families could get a PHEV mini-van (25+ miles range). {BTW, HUGE kudos to Chrysler for bringing the first PHEV minivan to market! And with a 33-mile EV range! Now if only somebody would make a 'shrunk form-factor' minivan or cross-over PHEV for those of us without 4 kids - *wait* : Kia has already announced that!}

SparkE said:
{BTW, HUGE kudos to Chrysler for bringing the first PHEV minivan to market! And with a 33-mile EV range! Now if only somebody would make a 'shrunk form-factor' minivan or cross-over PHEV for those of us without 4 kids

I read the review in Car & Driver. The van gives up the in-floor storage to make room for the battery. It's MSRP is higher than it's gasoline counterpart, but after incentives - it's within $100. If I needed / wanted a minivan, it's the one I'd buy.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-first-drive-review.

While a PHEV may be considered a half-hearted effort vs a BEV, PHEV's make more sense for the average buyer. My wife is on board with most of the green stuff I do, but she still doesn't get why I'd ever buy a car with 90 miles of range. For her (and I'd assume most buyers), having 30 miles of electric-only range, with (virtually) unlimited gasoline range gives them comfort. I've suggested a used Model S, but then she asks "what if we want to drive to Seattle?". I do my best to explain there is Supercharging available, but she makes good points..."what if it's busy?", "what if it's out of order?", "what if we drive in winter, would we make it?". She's right. We take the diesel on trips like that. Not much range anxiety when you're driving a car that can go 700 miles on a tank.

In her mind, these are variables she doesn't want to deal with. Clearly, given that only 0.82% of car buyers choose a BEV - she's not alone.

Back