Tesla Model 3 vs Chevrolet Bolt EV

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

columbo

Just wanted to start this conversation on the forum - I know we don't know specs on each, but there are going to be some interesting differences.

1. Tesla Model 3 will likely have access to the supercharger network. On a shorter range EV is that something that matters?

An interesting question. Personally, I want access to a reliable regional charging network. I don't care about the ability to drive across the country, since I'm probably not ever going to do that, especially in a BEV.

The province of Ontario is working on establishing a CHAdeMO/CCS network, and that would cover my needs.

From a perception point of view, Superchargers are currently an advantage for Tesla. But I doubt that Tesla will be able to continue going it alone like this, and build out enough capacity to handle the Model 3 during peak travel times.

I don't think this is a big deal. If I want to take a trip beyond my electric range, I will take my Volt just as I do today. I will drive past supercharger stations and fill up in 10 minutes at any of a zillion gas stations. One tank of gas pretty much is equivalent to two supercharger stops.

The other 99% of the time, my Bolt will do the job with assured home and/or workplace charging. No need to worry about the dependability of public charging.

Frankly, I don't much care whether I have DCQC or not. The important thing is the amount of energy I carry with me, guaranteed availability.

Interesting point that the energy you carry with you is what really matters (vs getting more energy along the way).

Obviously for 2 vehicle families, the Bolt doesn't need super or quick charging capabilities. Seems like most everyone I know has more than one vehicle anyways, and likely a 200-range battery electric vehicle would work for them for almost all of their trips.

Supercharger is a big advantage for Tesla, if you want to travel long distances along those corridors, and if the Model 3 has access to the network (likely for an additional fee above the $30,000 cost I'd assume).

The Tesla Model 3 will be rear wheel drive, possibly with an all wheel drive option. The Bolt EV is front wheel drive.

The Bolt will use the brake pedal for regeneration and the Tesla won't.

The Tesla Model 3 will have autopilot, the Bolt won't.

GM Bolt EV will have regen paddles, Model 3 won't.

Bolt will also have low-power Bluetooth recognition, and the Model 3 won't. Also, interior on the Bolt has cup holders and is more refined. What we've seen from Tesla so far is spartan interiors.

Bolt has surround vision, so far Model 3 doesn't.

Then if we want to open the dealership can of worms :) Bolt has 3000 dealerships nationwide that can service it, Model 3 doesn't.

I will be shopping both the Tesla Model 3 and Chevrolet Bolt EV, these are just things I will be comparing when I can see them and test drive them in person

boltplease said:
GM Bolt EV will have regen paddles, Model 3 won't.

Bolt will also have low-power Bluetooth recognition, and the Model 3 won't. Also, interior on the Bolt has cup holders and is more refined. What we've seen from Tesla so far is spartan interiors.

Bolt has surround vision, so far Model 3 doesn't.

Then if we want to open the dealership can of worms :) Bolt has 3000 dealerships nationwide that can service it, Model 3 doesn't.

I will be shopping both the Tesla Model 3 and Chevrolet Bolt EV, these are just things I will be comparing when I can see them and test drive them in person

My personal feeling:

Blended regen/braking from the brake pedal is the way to go, most like what I have experience for my entire driving life

At least here in Los Angeles, the Chevy dealers have been eager to sell Volts and are fine to service them. And you can cut deals, which you can't with Tesla.

I expect to be able to lease a Bolt early next year. I have no confidence in being able to get a model 3 for a long time.

My experience with Volt has been very favorable, so I have confidence in the Bolt as well

michael said:
Blended regen/braking from the brake pedal is the way to go, most like what I have experience for my entire driving life.

Yeah, I've no idea why Chevy decided to add that silly steering wheel paddle for braking on the Bolt and Volt. Why isn't max regen already built in when shifting to "L"? Makes zero sense to decide braking from the steering wheel when you have a brake pedal specifically designed to handle that job since the Model-T.

No other EV does this, for obvious reasons.

As I understand it, "L" on the Bolt will engage maximum regen, without using the paddle.

ssspinball said:
michael said:
Blended regen/braking from the brake pedal is the way to go, most like what I have experience for my entire driving life.

Yeah, I've no idea why Chevy decided to add that silly steering wheel paddle for braking on the Bolt and Volt. Why isn't max regen already built in when shifting to "L"? Makes zero sense to decide braking from the steering wheel when you have a brake pedal specifically designed to handle that job since the Model-T.

I think the reason is that some of the EV geeks want this maximum regen just because it is a new possibility. My Focus electric works exactly like you describe...shifting to L gives maximum achievable regen with throttle lift. I never use it...it is LESS efficient than light regen since energy is constantly moving into and out of the battery. Same with the Volt. Blended braking is easy and familiar.

So, providing the paddles is a cheap and easy way to remove an objection some people will express.

Breezy said:
As I understand it, "L" on the Bolt will engage maximum regen, without using the paddle.

If true, then I have no complaint about the paddle. However that doesn't seem to be what people are saying about the Volt.

michael said:
ssspinball said:
michael said:

I think the reason is that some of the EV geeks want this maximum regen just because it is a new possibility. My Focus electric works exactly like you describe...shifting to L gives maximum achievable regen with throttle lift. I never use it...it is LESS efficient than light regen since energy is constantly moving into and out of the battery. Same with the Volt. Blended braking is easy and familiar.

So, providing the paddles is a cheap and easy way to remove an objection some people will express.

No, building it into the "L" on the shifter is the way to remove an objection, not adding a second braking input method. That's sheer madness!

No one with max regen enable goes around sharply lifting off the accelerator to slow down. You make that motion gently, just like you wouldn't stab the brake with full force pulling up to a stoplight.

This one-pedal driving method took me like one day to adopt. I don't expect Chevy to make that the default (though it would be nice), I merely expect the option without using strange steering wheel paddles. That's not even close to the same thing.

Breezy said:

You were right! See video demo here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kqA_tG8yjvs

When in "L" you can do true one-pedal driving without touching the paddle. AWESOME! I retract my previous rants. :D

And for those that dislike this style, you can just use "D" instead.

Tesla Model 3 will get help from the Gigafactory when it starts producing batteries in 2016 from partial module buildouts. Model X is a separate issue on top of that.

Chevrolet is aiming the Bolt at the BMW i3 which sold 12,000 or so units last year. After the Volt, there will still be enough batteries from the Holland Michigan plant to produce around 13.5K Bolt EV vehicles.

The Tesla Model 3 is aiming at the BMW 3 series which sells around 350,000 units, so Tesla is hoping to start at around 50,000 vehicles in 2017 and have enough for 350,000 Model 3s by 2020.

There's also the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid that is a plug-in hybrid 8 seater coming later this year. I know it's in a different market segment, and it's only a plug-in hybrid, but I have a friend with little kids who is looking for an electric vehicle, but now that there IS AN OPTION for an electrified mini-van, it totally changes his feelings on getting a sub-compact or even medium sized pure EV.

From my perspective, the Bolt is a dependable people mover, whereas the Model III will likely be a sleek, sexy sports sedan. If you care more about comfort and sitting upright, the Bolt will be more for you. If you care more about your car looking good, and providing an engaging sporty drive, the Model III is likely more for you.

Frankly, I would prefer the Model III, but Tesla's reliability hasn't been all that great. And repairs are expensive. They are aiming this at the BMW crowd. How much does it cost to service a BMW 3-series? Ask any owner, they'll tell you. On the other hand, the Volt has been a marvel of reliability. For this reason, I'm leaning more towards the Bolt right now. If I have to stretch to buy a car in the first place (which I do for anything in the $30k+ range), I want to not have to worry about it needing constant expensive repairs.

Just my two cents on comparing the two cars as complete packages.

GetOffYourGas said:
From my perspective, the Bolt is a dependable people mover, whereas the Model III will likely be a sleek, sexy sports sedan. If you care more about comfort and sitting upright, the Bolt will be more for you. If you care more about your car looking good, and providing an engaging sporty drive, the Model III is likely more for you.

Frankly, I would prefer the Model III, but Tesla's reliability hasn't been all that great. And repairs are expensive. They are aiming this at the BMW crowd. How much does it cost to service a BMW 3-series? Ask any owner, they'll tell you. On the other hand, the Volt has been a marvel of reliability. For this reason, I'm leaning more towards the Bolt right now. If I have to stretch to buy a car in the first place (which I do for anything in the $30k+ range), I want to not have to worry about it needing constant expensive repairs.

Just my two cents on comparing the two cars as complete packages.

As a former BMW owner, I agree with the above comments. I bought my last 328 as a CPO with 100K mile warranty and maintenance, and as soon as it reached this point, I traded it on the Focus electric which has had ZERO repair or maintenance costs.

While the Model 3 has more appeal to me even than the Bolt, I think I will be nearly through a three year lease on my first Bolt before the Model 3 becomes widely available; and even then I expect the price to be much higher than we are being led to anticipate.

I'll be buying the Bolt EV as soon as I can get it - then I'll keep it until I can trade for a Model 3 that I can buy from a local Tesla dealership.

Right now, the nearest one is 3 hours away in Chicago and I don't want to have to drive 3 hours every time I need service or questions answered.

Having dealerships across the country is an advantage that Chevy will have on Tesla for the near future at least.

I am "only" 2 hours from a Tesla showroom and service center, so I am biased, but screw the dealers. I'd rather never talk to a dealer again in my life. For me, they don't add any value to the purchasing and ownership process that the manufacturer couldn't duplicate. I'm not 100% confident in the Tesla approach, because they have yet to demonstrate their ability to handle a broad customer base, but the current auto dealer system sucks.

I'm leaning more to the Bolt. Like the upright seating and hatchback design. The Volt has had a good reliability record that hopefully will continue with the Bolt too. Truth be told I am really enjoying my 2017 Volt and may just stick with it.

Back