Global warming ...

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iletric

oilerlord said:
...it's just that I don't understand why anyone would buy or lease a $40,000 car that they weren't at all excited about the prospect of driving.
Global warming.

SeanNelson said:
While no single one of us can fix global warming, we can at least do our best not to contribute to it.

You can. To what end?

1. You feel superior.
2. No meaningful impact on the globe.
3. You're out $40,000
4. All of the above.

There are far more noble things you can do with $40k.

oilerlord said:
...it's just that I don't understand why anyone would buy or lease a $40,000 car that they weren't at all excited about the prospect of driving.

iletric said:
Global warming.

I think you mean "make a statement" against global warming. Mission accomplished. A bumpy ride is a small price to pay for saving the planet, isn't it? Not sure why you're complaining.

SeanNelson said:
I have to say that kind of attitude is exactly why the rest of the world is aghast at the US right now.

:roll:

I have to say that people that "think" they are saving the planet because they bought a brand new 3,600 hunk of steel, glass, and plastic along with all the energy & petrochemicals required to build it - are fooling themselves.

Want to make a statement? Wear an "I take the bus" T-Shirt. It accomplishes the same thing for a lot less money.

oilerlord said:
I have to say that people that "think" they are saving the planet because they bought a brand new 3,600 hunk of steel, glass, and plastic along with all the energy & petrochemicals required to build it - are fooling themselves.

Want to make a statement? Wear an "I take the bus" T-Shirt. It accomplishes the same thing for a lot less money.

Hey - I ride a bicycle! Don't patronize ME, you ... you ... you bus-bigots !!

oilerlord said:
But this is exactly the point of contention. Lots of people who buy EVs are not buying them to make a statement, they're buying them because they don't want to cause any more environmental damage than they have to.

I walk to my destinations when it's practicable. For longer trips, I ride my bike. Prior to retirement I commuted by bus and rapid transit. I've never worn T-Shirts to advertise that behaviour because that's not why I do it. I just want to do the right thing, period. I don't care what other people think about me, I care about what I think about me and whether or not I can feel OK about how I live my life.

I know that some people think you're a dupe to do the right thing when there's nothing in it for you personally - and that's how the rest of the world sees America now, thanks to Trump. But believe it or not we don't all think that way.

I got my EV because I am tired of all of the extra costs associated with buying fuel and oil-accessory products. Yes, I have solar on my house which is over producing energy, by design. This, tied with my net-metering model, makes it so I drive 'almost' for free.

I don't want to have to deal with the uncontrolled expenses of buying fuel from the oil companies when I retire.

Making a statement? Nah.

I went to Standing Rock and witnessed how slimy the big oil companies behave. I will NOT buy their product. It's an act of Spirit for me, my relationship with Life, which is something I don't advertise. Does my Bolt make a difference? Every day.

Besides, I've commuted on an electric motorcycle for 3 years and 40,000 and EV is just way better to ICE in almost every way. The Bolt is the best car I've ever owned. The seats work for me and my wife, the acceleration (while not as thrilling as my bike) is just fine and the handling/suspension is worked out well enough for us.

Too bad China will now lead the way on global warming...

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
But this is exactly the point of contention. Lots of people who buy EVs are not buying them to make a statement, they're buying them because they don't want to cause any more environmental damage than they have to.

I walk to my destinations when it's practicable. For longer trips, I ride my bike. Prior to retirement I commuted by bus and rapid transit. I've never worn T-Shirts to advertise that behaviour because that's not why I do it. I just want to do the right thing, period. I don't care what other people think about me, I care about what I think about me and whether or not I can feel OK about how I live my life.

I know that some people think you're a dupe to do the right thing when there's nothing in it for you personally - and that's how the rest of the world sees America now, thanks to Trump. But believe it or not we don't all think that way.
Amen Brother,
After I retired, my wife and I have been very fortunate to enjoy life and do some traveling. Visit the Canadian Rockies or Glacier National Park or Alaska and you'll soon see the effects of global warming. As parents and particularly grandparents, we have to ask ourselves this one simple question - "What will they say when they discover that we knew we were destroying their world but did nothing about it".
Solar panels are getting cheaper by the day. Make an effort to investigate and get them installed on your rooftop. Replace your ICE vehicle with an EV and start to make a difference. Your children will look back one day and say - "At least my parents didn't ignore the problem".

I bought an EV for a variety of reasons. One of those happens to be environmentally related (global warming/climate change/less pollution). Another part was being intrigued by the technology. A third part was to save money on gas.

Same reason I put solar on my roof. Parts it of it were environmental, technological, and money saving. It doesn't have to be exclusively one or the other.

flamaest said:
I got my EV because I am tired of all of the extra costs associated with buying fuel and oil-accessory products. Yes, I have solar on my house which is over producing energy, by design. This, tied with my net-metering model, makes it so I drive 'almost' for free.

I don't want to have to deal with the uncontrolled expenses of buying fuel from the oil companies when I retire.

Me too.

SeanNelson said:
I just want to do the right thing, period. I don't care what other people think about me, I care about what I think about me and whether or not I can feel OK about how I live my life.

I know that some people think you're a dupe to do the right thing when there's nothing in it for you personally - and that's how the rest of the world sees America now

Sean, I think there needs to be a measure of "what's in it for me" on an individual level towards the overall larger goal of addressing climate change. From charging my car using solar, and exporting more electricity than I can use, not only am I saving money & not buying gasoline, but my power bills usually become credits during May, June, and July. I've also insulated ourselves from surprise increases in electricity rates. There is nothing at all wrong, or selfish about that. These are tangible benefits I can sink my teeth into, and provides ongoing rewards to "do the right thing". The public is more inclined to take personal action against climate change when they see a carrot in front of them, rather than getting hit with a carbon tax stick, or being ridiculed because they drive an SUV.

I'm with Phil about calling BS When someone says they bought an EV to fight global warming. They really bought a car that gets them from A to B. The side effect choosing an EV might be an individual, and microscopic contribution in the effort against global warming, but for these folks, it really is more about making a statement than anything else.

If Global Warming really was their #1 concern, they wouldn't have made the choice to increase their personal CO2 footprint from the acquisition of a brand new, 3600 pound hunk of steel, glass, and petrochemicals along with the energy required to create it. They'd instead take the bus, or ride a bike.

I do most of the "right things" too, but I cringe when people cite climate change as THE reason they bought an EV. It's like ordering a large pizza but with a diet coke because you're watching your waistline.

There are a wide range of choices people make every day.

If I am looking to replace a vehicle I can consider:

1) Not replace it
2) Replace it and bike to work 35 miles uphill in 115 degree temperatures
3) Sell my house and move close enough to walk/bike to work
4) Change jobs so I can walk to work
5) Buy a lifted 4x4 V8 truck
6) Buy a new Honda Civic
7) Buy an EV
8 - 1001) All the other choices

Some people want to buy a replacement vehicle and at the same time reduce the impact on the environment from their choice.
We don't have to choose between two extremes (buy a gas guzzling SUV or walk to work), we can make incremental improvements with our choices.

So someone can want to reduce their carbon footprint and buy a brand new Bolt EV or Fiat 500e or Tesla S ... to replace an older ICE vehicle without being hypocritical. They can even buy another ICE and still be credibly concerned about CO2 emissions. They can drive an EV and still race jetskis around the lake.

Nobody has to go all or even sell their private jet in order to remain credible when they speak out on global warming.

They can even buy another ICE and still be credibly concerned about CO2 emissions. They can drive an EV and still race jetskis around the lake.

They cannot, however, claim environmental concerns in that case. Just not using things like personal watercraft and ATVs would help the environment more than replacing an ICE with an EV.

LeftieBiker said:
They can even buy another ICE and still be credibly concerned about CO2 emissions. They can drive an EV and still race jetskis around the lake.

They cannot, however, claim environmental concerns in that case. Just not using things like personal watercraft and ATVs would help the environment more than replacing an ICE with an EV.

Of course they can purchase an EV out of concern for the environment while still riding their jetskis and flying to a far away country for vacation and enjoying a backyard BBQ.

The notion that only the pure are allowed to state that they are concerned with the environment is a flawed view IMO. I think it is equally flawed to criticize people who don't address their biggest source of environmental impact first. You don't have to be perfect to be better.

SeanNelson said:
phil0909 said:
SeanNelson said:
While no single one of us can fix global warming, we can at least do our best not to contribute to it.
You can. To what end?
I have to say that kind of attitude is exactly why the rest of the world is aghast at the US right now.

You mean the attitude that a favorable end or outcome is desirable? That ineffectual, feel-good actions should be avoided, in favor of actions that may actually do some good?

Let the world be aghast. I won't lose any sleep over that.

LectricBill said:
Does my Bolt make a difference? Every day.

Too bad China will now lead the way on global warming...

And after China, then India, Africa, and Latin America. Making your electric motorcycle utterly pointless. Does your Bolt make a difference? Only in your imagination. In reality, it's an exercise in futility, no more saving the planet than a useless international treaty or a nice slogan on a t-shirt.

Back