Set Charging to Stop at a Certain Percentage or Range?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wq2345

Although we are leasing our vehicle, one of the first things I looked for as I spent time with the manual and the car was trying to figure out how to stop charging at a certain percentage or mileage range. For example 80%. I am sure there will people that will suggest that this is not necessary to spare the battery and that is fine - but does anyone know if there is a software method in the car to do this? Maybe I'm dense, but I can't figure it out.

I suppose we became accustomed to doing this with the RAV4EV and the Model S so it seems natural to do this again. Even the Leaf had this ability although we never used it with that 24kW battery.

If it's not available I guess I'd live. Wonder if Chevy would do an over-the-air update to somehow add features like that?

The only relevant option is hilltop reserve mode, where it stops at something like 90% or something of nominal capacity.

Can you please try charging with the Hilltop Reserve setting and telling us how far it charges?
Procedure is:

- Set and allow car to charge with Hilltop Reserve setting
- Note range on display Rh
- Turn off Hilltop Reserve and charge to full
- Note range on display Trot
- Calculate battery charge level of Hilltop Reserve: Rh / Rtot

It is a simple test but nobody on this forum has done it and reported the result.

Per MyChevrolet app, hilltop reserve is showing 88% charge. I've never actually charged it to 100% to see what the app shows.

Cheers, Wayne

I guess I never bothered to check the MyChevrolet app while I was looking for a numerical charge percentage value.... Duh!

My Bolt has never been charged to 100% as I turned on Hilltop mode at delivery. The car was delivered with about 40% charge.

With Hilltop Mode after a "full" charge I have seen 86, 87, 88 & 89%, but never 90%.

Very helpful responses everyone. I haven't tried the experiment proposed but I think this is a reasonable solution. Just need to turn off Hilltop Reserve if you ever want to 'fully' charge it.

If you are going to do that experiment Hilltop vs 100% charge, you need to have consistent factors when testing each.
The range indicator is a 'guesstimate' and it can be affected by outside temps, type of driving (road elevations), speed, etc.

Good idea but you do want fairly accurate results.

mbepic said:
If you are going to do that experiment Hilltop vs 100% charge, you need to have consistent factors when testing each.
The range indicator is a 'guesstimate' and it can be affected by outside temps, type of driving (road elevations), speed, etc.

Good idea but you do want fairly accurate results.

The myChevy app gives an exact percent in 1% increments. So no, you don't have to be careful or do anything special. Do you read all the posts or just the top one?

gpsman said:
Do you read all the posts or just the top one?

Do you like being sarcastic or is that just your unintended nature?

I thought the context of that discussion was about a real life 'drive' experiment, not the facts about your app. However, I now realize I misunderstood the nature of that experiment.

I saw 248 on my first charge, then after setting Hilltop Reserve on, I saw 228 the next day.

I turned it on because I found that the regen behavior in L is drastically different when the battery is full. I did not see more than about 20KW on the display, and the aggressive slowing that I expect from L was not present for at least 10 miles. My trip yesterday showed at least 45KW slowing on a down grade. That was a pretty long hill, my range went from 197 at the top to 230 at the bottom.

Just something to be aware of if you like L...

Back