Leather vs. Cloth Side by Side

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpsman

As the "mystery" of the seats deepens, I was lucky enough that my dealer had two side by side I could sit in.

Both had heated seats.
One had the cloth.
One had the leather.

BIG difference. So big I photographed it for you all.

The cloth were MUCH firmer and had MUCH more padding. The thicker padding kept my butt and thighs off the plastic sides.

The leather was softer and thinner and compressed much more- kind of like letting the air out of an air mattress when I sat in them. Eventually, my thighs would hit the plastic sides.

I am 5-9 and 210 pounds, 36" waist.
I thought the difference was dramatic.

IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG

gpsman said:
As the "mystery" of the seats deepens, I was lucky enough that my dealer had two side by side I could sit in.

Both had heated seats.
One had the cloth.
One had the leather.

The cloth were MUCH firmer and had MUCH more padding. The thicker padding kept my butt and thighs off the plastic sides.

The leather was softer and thinner and compressed much more- kind of like letting the air out of an air mattress when I sat in them. Eventually, my thighs would hit the plastic sides.

View attachment 1

Very interesting photo. I have the cloth with the heated seats. I think the car is terrific. The seats don't bother me at all. Now, I do notice once I looked at it that the cushion goes below the seat frame aft, so when I spin my legs out to get out of the car I feel that hard frame. Doesn't bother me at all, but I think I may understand why some folks don't like the seats. I like the seats. Very sporty. I stay centered anyway when I drive. And, I have driven the car 175 miles in one day, with perfect comfort. So, works for me.

I finally got to sit in an LT and a Premier yesterday during a test drive. I only drove a Premier before that, and I didn't notice anything about the seats, albeit my test drive was only for 15 or so minutes. Then I stumbled on all the complaints about the seats and had to go back to check out both trims. I'm shopping for an LT, so I was legit concerned, so yesterday was the perfect opportunity. I was actually able to sit in the seats for a really long time each. I actually didn't notice much difference between the seats. The leather was softer, but the supports felt the same. I am 5'11'' and 190 lbs, so I was a bit worried (alot of complaints from people around my size on this forum). I'm glad it doesn't bother me, but it does make me sad that it is such a deal breaker for so many people. I've now test driven every EV out there, and it is my favorite non-Tesla. I do agree that the seats could be more comfortable if they were slightly wider, so hopefully GM does that in the Gen. 2.

PS: I actually rode in a BMW Z4 Roadster the other day, and the seats felt very similar to that.

gpsman said:

Both had heated seats.
One had the cloth.
One had the leather.

View attachment 1

I prefer the cloth..

I just leased an LT w/heated cloth seats. They're fine. Never sat in a Premier and have no idea what those seats feel like but I've had leather seats in other cars in the past and I prefer cloth.

Leather does not "breathe" well in the heat and cracks/splits over time. No such problem w/cloth. Leather will generally "wear" better but cloth is much cheaper to replace than cloth.

I just sat in my car and took some photos. My seats are comfortable. I weigh 162, 32 inch waist. LT with heated seats. Plenty of padding for me.

IMG_2420.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

Back