NRG EVGo: someone check me on the math here!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I just compared the two plans for DC Fast Charging: On-the-Go and Flex.

It seems to me that if you only use EVGo once per month for one hour, the $14.95/month plan is the best way to go.

The Flex plan:

No Monthly fee
$4.95 setup fee
$4.95 session fee + $.20 per minute

BUT NOTE: the EVGo's apparently automatically end the "session" at 30 minutes, so one hour charging requires 2 sessions!

So if you use the Flex plan to charge for one hour it will cost you $21.90 plus $4.95 the first time you setup the Flex program.

The On-The-Go plan costs:

$14.95 per month
$.10 per minute

So if you use the On-The-Go plan to charge for one hour it will cost you $20.95.

The difference is more dramatic if you use their system more times per month:

2 one hour charges per month:

Flex = $43.80; On-The-Go = $26.95

3 one hour charges per month:

Flex = $65.70; On-The-Go = $32.95

and so forth...

NOTE: You must commit to a 12 month contract at $14.95 per month even if you do not charge in that month with a $29 early termination fee. I suspect that the 12 months contract automatically renews itself at the end of the year if you do not give notice to terminate.

Is my math correct?

MichaelLAX said:
Is my math correct?

Your math is correct.

I still have not used the EVgo chargers which are about half of the chargers available to me for touring. There is one that is very convenient for trips to NYC. Since a Nissan dealer installed a free QC station that is only another 10 minutes out of the way, I have been able to use that one instead. I only do the NYC trip a few times a year. Without doing the math, I realized the monthly plan would be the way to go if I needed them for most months. I actually did pay the setup fee a few years ago so I can use them when needed.

Math is correct. I've created an excel showing the same data and you're right on the mark.

EvGo has the most number of 50kW CCS stations here in the Northeast and the 30 min cutoff is a big problem for us with higher capacity batteries. Not only does it mean going outside every 29 minutes but also the per session fees. I called and spoke with EvGo and they said it was put in place to restrict i3s, Leafs, etc. from staying hooked up for hours on end. While I get that, they need to remove this restriction for Bolts.

There are ongoing petitions here and on chevybolt.org to have EvGo remove this restriction for Bolts. Many have also written to their COO.

Rocinante said:
Math is correct. I've created an excel showing the same data and you're right on the mark.

EvGo has the most number of 50kW CCS stations here in the Northeast and the 30 min cutoff is a big problem for us with higher capacity batteries. Not only does it mean going outside every 29 minutes but also the per session fees. I called and spoke with EvGo and they said it was put in place to restrict i3s, Leafs, etc. from staying hooked up for hours on end. While I get that, they need to remove this restriction for Bolts.

There are ongoing petitions here and on chevybolt.org to have EvGo remove this restriction for Bolts. Many have also written to their COO.
"-it was put in place to restrict i3s, Leafs, etc. from staying hooked up for hours on end". EV drivers who think their ownership of an EV allows them to use the charging parking space as their own personal parking spot while they are off doing whatever is what really frustrates me. Too often I have seen this happen. EVgo's policy to charge standing time while not charging may dissuade some but not all. The issue is... how long does any EV driver have to wait to charge his vehicle and get on his way? Bottom line - We need MANY MORE quick chargers so the wait time is minimized for all. I do agree that there should not be a time limit for charging but there should be a stiff penalty that starts after a very short grace period when the vehicle is fully charged and remains hooked up .

WOW: 2 days later and three replies! I actually have to check the box that I want to be notified for replies on a thread for which I am the author! Who writes the code for these forums?!?

Thank you ALL!

In my own musings in a separate thread and now seemingly confirmed in discussions with Tony Williams in "Tips for Long Distance Travel" it seems that the 30 minute timer is REMOVED for monthly subscription plans on EVGo!

So, if they are cheaper by definition for minimum use of one hour per month AND they remove the 30 minute timer...

Is there any question which is the correct way to go here?

I am converting my NRG EVGo subscription to the monthly plan as soon as I remember to take the card out of the Bolt EV to get the card number.

Their website leaves MUCH to be desired from the point of view of logging back in!

SparkEVPilot said:
I do agree that there should not be a time limit for charging but there should be a stiff penalty that starts after a very short grace period when the vehicle is fully charged and remains hooked up .
What happens if you just confirm that charging is complete, unplug them and restart and attach to your Bolt EV?

For example as this magnet-sign indicates (courtesy of evextend.com - I used to zerox these and leave one under the wiper as a not to subtle reminder in my Volt days):

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.46.42 AM.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 8,273
MichaelLAX said:
I just compared the two plans for DC Fast Charging: On-the-Go and Flex.

It seems to me that if you only use EVGo once per month for one hour, the $14.95/month plan is the best way to go.

IF for some reason those are your only two choices - IF you must use EVgo - then yes. It seems to me that if you are only using a DCFC for an hour each month (or less, if you plan ahead) - just about anybody else would be a better choice. Personally, my choice is to use other than EVgo chargers and/or charging stations. I have never had to consume from EVgo, and it hasn't been an inconvenience for me.

If one uses EVgo for exactly one hour per month, using the "On-the-Go" plan (which appears to be the cheaper option from them if charging at EVgo at least an hour a month), the cost would be around $0.50/kWh { ($15+$6)/42 kWh = 0.50 }. That is assuming one can get about a 42 kW charge rate for the entire hour. That seems rather expensive to me. It's better than running out of juice, but I just plan my trips and don't give money to those EVgo Aholes.

Since a big part of the fees in the On-the-Go is the monthly subscription, obviously the more you use their DCFCs, the less the cost per Kwh becomes. Two hours of use (~84 kWh) would average around $0.32/kWh. 3 hours, 26 cents/kWh. 4 hours, 23 cents; 5 hrs, 21c; 6 hrs, 20c. For occasional use, almost any other vendor would be a much better choice than EVgo (unless there really isn't much in the way of other choices - in which case you really don't have a choice ;) ).

So if you HAVE to use EVgo, then you have to. If you HAVE to, you might as well get the On-the-Go plan and charge at the DCFC a lot of the time, dropping the electrical rate into the low twenties/kWh (30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week when SoC is under 45%). I guess this is especially true if you live in an appt building, or just a place where you can't easily charge at home (or have high kWh charges at home). Also, L2 charging at EVgo would cost around .15-.16/kWh (NOT counting the monthly fee), on that plan.

Luckily, I don't have to use EVgo - other DCFC (and public L2 stations) are at least as convenient, and less expensive, and I have no problems charging at home.

So I have used the EVGo chargers twice now and both times their 30 minute timers shut me off! Too bad :(

I guess I will stick with the On-The-Go plan as it is still cheaper by $1 for the minimum one hour usage each month. I had just hoped to burn off the one hour in certain months at one charge. But now it will take a minimum two charges.

My needs for EVGo are not that great; I just want the availability:

There is one 4.1 miles from my home, but my Chevy dealer is 4.0 miles from my home and their charger is faster and free (but limited to business hours)!

I only need to "top off" at the charger in the Bridgeport Marketplace in Newhall Ranch on my return trips from Northern California, so 30 minutes is fine; and the same is true for when I visit their charger in Anaheim when I visit Orange County; and their are alternatives.

I use Charge Point and only pay for the Kw's I use. My local DC Fast Charger is FREE :idea:

drdiesel1 said:
I use Charge Point and only pay for the Kw's I use. My local DC Fast Charger is FREE

Ditto. (Well, the closest DCFCs aren't FREE, but reasonably priced.) For the $15 subscription fee of EVgo, I get 60 kWh of electricity from 8 of the 10 closest DCFCs (well, not counting the ones that aren't free, AND the two 50 kW chargers in Fremont that are a straight $4.50 connection charge per use with no additional fees - or the 50 kW DCFC at Intel that charges $5/hr).

But if you are stuck with EVgo (or have limited options), then you are stuck with EVgo. Luckily, I get to avoid those evil devils.

Back