Fast charge retrofit?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I did not get the fast charge capability installed with the Bolt.

Is it possible to get that retrofitted in?

I am shocked! That is really true, Sean!?!

First of all, I do not understand Chevy's decision on a 230 mile/60 KWh car to even make fast charging an option!

Economies of scale would dictate that this car should have this option installed in every one sold and at a cost much less than the optional price we must pay. But then again, it is what it is!

MichaelLAX said:
I am shocked! That is really true, Sean!?!
Well I suppose if you lucked into a wrecked Bolt with a DC Fast Charger that wasn't damaged you might find a way to be able to transplant the parts into your car. Or you might even be able to order the individual parts from GM and install them. But I have no doubt that ordering parts would be far more expensive than the cost of the option, not to mention what kind of work might be required to integrate them. It's not something that I'd suggest anyone try unless they were really willing to experiment with their brand new car.

Seems so much easier to just order the car with the option.

Just as you're incredulous that the car can be bought without a DC Fast Charger, I'm also rather incredulous that people are willing to buy one without it.

Meanwhile, I'd guess (based on no actual data) that 75% of Bolts will never plug in to a DC charger, because the owners will always charge at home.

SeanNelson said:
Just as you're incredulous that the car can be bought without a DC Fast Charger, I'm also rather incredulous that people are willing to buy one without it.
It is a process of education. To put it bluntly, a new EV owner might just make a "dumb" mistake and regret it later when he becomes educated to its worth!

My shock is not that it can be bought without one, but that your claim it cannot be added later! Perhaps you mean aftermarket, but that Chevy can add it later?

EldRick said:
Meanwhile, I'd guess (based on no actual data) that 75% of Bolts will never plug in to a DC charger, because the owners will always charge at home.
I'd guess that no matter how many Bolt EV owners charge at home, there is always that one time experience when a CCS charger is needed and perhaps it is the only option available! How much is it worth then?

How much is it worth then?
Well, it could be worth less than a AAA membership, or it could be worth $750, depending on how you define "worth"?
Apparently for the majority of Bolt owners, "...the more you pay, the more it's worth...".

EldRick said:
How much is it worth then?
Well, it could be worth less than a AAA membership, or it could be worth $750, depending on how you define "worth"?
Apparently for the majority of Bolt owners, "...the more you pay, the more it's worth...".
AAA membership? They do not carry a can of electrons, so you must mean a tow.

I purchased the AV TurboCord for $599 and I have a set of 220V adapters from my Volt days that I carry so that I have many options: 110V, 220V, L2, DC Fast Charging...

On a recent trip to Northern San Diego County, I used the TurboCord at the Lawrence Welk Resorts' 110V outlets for their electric carts and with the 220V adapter on a dryer outlet in a relative's garage! On the way home, I stopped in Anaheim for use of the EVGo DC Fast Charger for a quick 30 minute boost!

I guess, in my case, you are right: the more I pay, the more its worth!

MichaelLAX said:
My shock is not that it can be bought without one, but that your claim it cannot be added later! Perhaps you mean aftermarket, but that Chevy can add it later?
Well I don't have any particular inside knowledge, other than the fact that there's no apparent offering that would allow you do to it. There's no DCFC "kit", the option itself isn't a dealer-installed option, it has to be done at the factory. And I know that the DCFC option is a lot more complex than just a new plug in the side of the car - it also involves control relays, battery management capabilities, new cabling, etc. The way cars are assembled these days that kind of stuff can be extremely difficult to add after the fact. If you didn't order the car with the option, the existing wiring harnesses may not support it and that could require ripping out and reinstalling all kinds of unrelated stuff.

My advice is not to get your hopes up.

I advise everyone to buy that option! As I mentioned earlier, it should be a standard feature with economies of scale.

If you're leasing you may be able to sell the lease off to someone else and then lease another car with the quick charge option. That might actually be the cheapest solution.

Personally I don't think the car should even be sold without the quick charger. Assuming the car is in service for 10-15 years, who knows what the situation will look like by the time it's retired? We're talking about well after a 3 year lease ends, and potentially several owners/drivers over that time. Not having the charger is a very limiting factor.

Say someone simply wanted to move from LA to SF or vice versa. With the charger it's an easy trip. Without it it's such a major hassle that you'll probably have to ship the car.

MichaelLAX said:
I advise everyone to buy that option! As I mentioned earlier, it should be a standard feature with economies of scale.
The lack of DC fast charging as a standard feature is a recurring complaint from critics of the car. Usually used to make the point that GM is not serious about electric vehicles, or that the Bolt is just a compliance vehicle, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

I opted to get it, despite anticipating that I will probably never utilize it much, if at all.

Personally I don't think the car should even be sold without the quick charger. Assuming the car is in service for 10-15 years, who knows what the situation will look like by the time it's retired? We're talking about well after a 3 year lease ends, and potentially several owners/drivers over that time. Not having the charger is a very limiting factor...

The DC Fast Charge option isn't a "charger." It's a different port (assuming the seondary port isn't already there on all Bolts), some heavy wiring, and extra circuitry that allows an external DC charger to bypass the same onboard charger, to charge the pack directly. It likely isn't impossible to add the stuff, but since the car wasn't designed to make it a dealer-installed option, it would be difficult, and some of the parts might have to come from a wreck.

devbolt said:
The lack of DC fast charging as a standard feature is a recurring complaint from critics of the car.
And yet some people are adamant that they don't want it. Personally I think it's stupid to buy the car without it, but at least some people seem to be happy that it's an option.

If it were priced at $250, I suspect everyone would order it, but $750 just isn't worth it, if all your expected driving is within 100 miles of home, and honestly, the number and rate of CCS "fast" chargers isn't really ready for road-trips, and won't be for several years. Note that those who push the range envelope are regarded with awe here in the forum...
Seriously, if you need to take long trips in an electric car, buy a used Tesla instead of a Bolt. https://www.tesla.com/preowned

EldRick said:
Note that those who push the range envelope are regarded with awe here in the forum...
When I watch something with my eyes wide open shaking my head the adjective you should be using to describe me isn't "awe", it's "incredulous".

The $750 DCFC option adds about $375 over the three years of a lease. That's a lot to spend if you only use it once or twice.

In my opinion, DCFC does not make the Bolt well suited to long distance travel. In my opinion, its main benefit is to stretch the 200-240 mile range with a quick addition of energy,,,add another 50-80 miles in a half hour.

For example, my home to Santa Barbara is 200 mile round trip. If a go there and do a little local driving, I'm pushing the range envelope getting home. With DCFC, I can add 50-80 miles pretty much anywhere along the route and arrive home with comfortable reserves. To me, that's the way to use DCFC.

If I want to drive to Yellowstone, I'm taking the Volt. It's a much easier way to go.

SeanNelson said:
devbolt said:
The lack of DC fast charging as a standard feature is a recurring complaint from critics of the car.
And yet some people are adamant that they don't want it. Personally I think it's stupid to buy the car without it, but at least some people seem to be happy that it's an option.

They offer it as an option for anyone who wants to spend the money. Its absence as a standard feature does not deserve criticism.

I can see objecting if it were not offered. Personally, I'm more upset by the unavailability of Homelink even as an option, which I would use every single day, than by the fact that I need to select a Bolt with the DCFC option if I want one. I'm more upset by the unavailability of a heat pump even as an option.

You can get the DCFC....what's the problem?

Back