No adaptive cruise control?!?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EldRick said:
If you actually read that post, the Bolt apparently does have a blended system from Bosch, like the 2017 Volt.
This particular post in that thread describes the differences between how the brakes are implemented in the Volt vs. the Bolt. And then on top of that we have Josh Tavel, the chief Bolt engineer, stating that the Bolt's brakes preclude the use of ACC.

Now I'm no brake expert, but based on this evidence it seems pretty obvious to me that the braking system used by the Bolt, even though it may use some of the same off-the-shelf parts, is actually implemented differently enough from the Volt that ACC is not an option for it. That could mean that the brakes are interfaced differently, use different features of the off-the-shelf components, or whatever. Unless you want to suggest that Josh Tavel is being untruthful, we have to accept his statement at face value, IMHO.

I don't care what anyone says, using -any- form or cruise control in heavy/urban traffic is dangerous. In these situations, the driver needs to be 100% engaged in the act of driving, and cruise control leads to inattention.

Some may say "yeah, but I've driven xxx miles for xxx period of time and no accidents"... which is the nearly the same as saying "I drive and text all the time, and no accidents" or "I play russian roulette often, and (thus far) haven't blown my head off my shoulders"... until it does. IOW, play with fire long enough and you'll get burned.

I'm not saying that text/driving is the same distraction level as driving with cruise control, but both lead to a degree of driver disengagement. Leave cruise control for long stretches of open road when traveling long distances. It helps here to avoid driving fatigue, and yeah ACC makes it even better. But in city traffic, turn that off.

dandrewk said:
I don't care what anyone says, using -any- form or cruise control in heavy/urban traffic is dangerous. In these situations, the driver needs to be 100% engaged in the act of driving, and cruise control leads to inattention.
The reductio ad absurdum extension of your argument is that none of us should be using automatic transmissions.

Cars have been including driver aids that don't require turning your attention away from what's going on around you ever since forever. Cruise control and adaptive cruise control are no different, in my humble opinion.

SeanNelson said:
dandrewk said:
The reductio ad absurdum extension of your argument is that none of us should be using automatic transmissions.

Cars have been including driver aids that don't require turning your attention away from what's going on around you ever since forever. Cruise control and adaptive cruise control are no different, in my humble opinion.

Understood, however the analogy doesn't work. The advent of automatic transmissions still required feet firmly planted on or near the brake and/or accelerator, with a constant need to monitor speed and safe distance.

Also, I am not talking about inattention as much as I'm talking about this type of driver disengagement that can lead to inattention. To be truly anal retentive about the matter, there are many who feel listening to music while driving leads to inattention.

But then, where do we draw the line? IMO, autonomous driving can't happen soon enough.

EldRick said:
Meanwhile, back in reality, the Bolt appears to have blended brakes:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?265105-Bolt-EV-has-blended-brakes-via-Bosch.&p=3725649#post3725649
And back to real reality

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-inside-the-chevrolet-bolt-with-its-chief-engineer-new-details/
As per lead engineers as I stated before.

One of the cool things about the Volt 2.0 is that it's cruise control can maintain proper speed when going down hill. In other cars I've sometimes experienced situations where going down hill you end up going faster than what you have cruise speed set to. The reason being, the slope was enough that just coasting put you at a higher speed, and the car could cut throttle back to minimum but couldn't actually brake. In the Volt because it regens that doesn't seem to happen. That's not exactly the same as adaptive cruise control but dies suggest it's capable of it. I'd be surprised if the Bolt isn't capable of the same. So, I agree it's a shame it's not included.

That being said any argument can be made that situations where ACC are necessary also aren't ones where you should really be employing cruise control.

Nagorak said:
One of the cool things about the Volt 2.0 is that it's cruise control can maintain proper speed when going down hill.
Didn't the original Volt also do that? All the hybrid cars I've seen will do that, since it doesn't really make any sense to have a hybrid car that doesn't do regen.

My Leaf also does it. Speed increases by only one to two MPH going downhill, until the limit of regen is reached.

SeanNelson said:
Nagorak said:
One of the cool things about the Volt 2.0 is that it's cruise control can maintain proper speed when going down hill.
Didn't the original Volt also do that? All the hybrid cars I've seen will do that, since it doesn't really make any sense to have a hybrid car that doesn't do regen.

I didn't mean to make it out like it was unique to the Volt, just that I noticed it in comparison to non-hybrid gas cars. I suppose i's possible that the issue with ACC is that needs full braking application, whereas without it the car only can take advantage of its automatic regen to slow itself.

An old thread, but count me as one who feels the lack of adaptive cruise control is a major negative. It's interesting several seemingly inexpensive features including garage door opener, are not even available as options.

FWIW, when Honda first got into automobile production, they did a study and found it actually less expensive to include all the nice little gizzies than to schedule and track which units got them and which didn't.

Your opinion and you're entitled to it, but adaptive cruise is way down the list of dangerous actions seen every day, i.e. texting, phone use, eating, radio station searching, unrestrained pets in the driver's lap. In fact, one might make the case the adaptive cruise is more engaged in the act of driving than are most drivers.

jack vines

Back