Radio Issues

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorin78

I just noticed this last night and it's not repeating itself regularly.

When on Sirius XM, the station will change for no apparent reason. I was actually sitting in a parking lot and it just switched to a different station that's not a favorite station. then after a few seconds, it would switch back.

2nd. I saved a bunch of favorites last night, and this morning it was all gone and back to when I picked up the car.

Anyone else have these issues?

thorin78 said:
I just noticed this last night and it's not repeating itself regularly.

When on Sirius XM, the station will change for no apparent reason. I was actually sitting in a parking lot and it just switched to a different station that's not a favorite station. then after a few seconds, it would switch back.

2nd. I saved a bunch of favorites last night, and this morning it was all gone and back to when I picked up the car.

Anyone else have these issues?

I see the switching happen when I turn off the car. If you don't open the driver's side door the radio will come back on, sometimes on a different station.

I did see the favorites getting forgotten for the first week or so but it hasn't done it again in a while. I removed all the Sirius/XM stations from my favorites and have not seen them re-appear.

Just today as I was driving back from lunch, the car would random change stations on XM radio. At least I'll only have XM for 3 months.

thorin78 said:
At least I'll only have XM for 3 months.

So here's what you do... Find the XM antenna and UNPLUG IT. Leave it unplugged for like.... 9 months, then plug it back in again. You will then have XM forever. Of course, your phone will always have better music whenever you want it, but if you really wanted...

Pigwich said:
thorin78 said:

So here's what you do... Find the XM antenna and UNPLUG IT. Leave it unplugged for like.... 9 months, then plug it back in again. You will then have XM forever. Of course, your phone will always have better music whenever you want it, but if you really wanted...

I have now had a couple of instances where I'm listening to content from my phone via CarPlay and the playback just stops and the radio comes on instead. Doesn't appear to be any reason for it, I can re-open CarPlay and the podcast is just paused. Pressing the play icon resumes it.

Pigwich said:
thorin78 said:

Ummm, WHAT?!!? Why does this work? Is it the same as the old satellite TV decoder authorization logic? Codes are sent to both authorize and de-authorize the unit in the 'data stream', and the de-authorize signal for YOUR specific radio ID is sent 'very often' in the month after subscription is turned off, then 'fairly often' for a month or two, then 'now and then' for 6 months, then never again?

That's what I hear, from reliable sources. - and it makes sense. Imagine broadcasting every deauth code of every receiver in perpetuity. Pretty soon that's all your satellite would be doing. Of course, I'd only be interested in doing this for academic purposes. and probably won't even be bothered to try. XM isn't even worth "free" in my opinion. I only wish they could deauth it away from my source selection menu.

The free xm radio aside, i'd rather have the radio fixed instead of it randomly jumping to different stations. Also the mute button only temporarily mutes the volume. Maybe like 3 to 5 mins then turns back on. Very strange.

Post your queries about your radio problems in the "help me chevrolet!!!" forum here - you might get some definitive answers.

Back