Battery conditioning after charging

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Any one have any idea approximately home many kwh are used in a 24 hour period to keep the 2017 Bolt battery
at peak condition. I'm in South Jersey and winter garage temps are about 40 degrees so I know there will be some kw used.
Also electric rates here are about the same as using a gas powered car and Chevy's estimate of 28kwh/100 miles does seem on the
conservative side. Any one that can supply their kwh/100 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You don't really need to leave the car plugged in after charging with that garage temp. The battery will be fine with no heating, and the heater may not even come on.

JerseyGuy said:
Any one that can supply their kwh/100 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My rate ends up being around 23 kwh per hundred miles, but I'm lucky if my average speed is around 20 mph - That's one depressing feature on the Bolt - It shows just how bad traffic is here in Los Angeles. Literally. 20 MPH average over the month. At least I only drive 8 miles to work. Another easy unit to use is the miles per kwh, which is somewhere between the way extremes of 3 and 5 on the Bolt.

As for how much it costs to leave it plugged in while it's charged? Not much. I have a readout on my charger, and it takes maybe a few watt hours, but probably nothing worse than opening your fridge for a hunk of cheese at midnight. It gets down in to the low 40s here at night, a few nights the cars were frosting up, but now it's in the 50s at night. I wouldn't worry about it, even on Jersey's insane electric rates (I lived in Brooklyn years ago, we were paying 27 cents per kwh, and my heating gas bill? Oh forgetaboutit. I had a wood stove, no joke, used to burn palettes and offcuts from the furniture shop. I even had a coal stove when I lived in Red Hook. Used to huddle next to it and drink whiskey with my girlfriend every night in the winter. Those days are LONG GONE :mrgreen: I miss the east coast until I really start to think about it. Anyway you look at it, driving an electric car is a win, even on those corrupt rates in that corrupt state. PSE&G doesn't seem to have terrible off-peak rates though, so maybe look in to a fancy meter? Unless you have a big AC bill in the summer, then it's murder for sure.

Keep fighting the good fight in the garden state.

P

My car has been parked in the middle 40's and not a penny has gone to battery conditioning.

I bet it starts at about 32'F and below.

Back