grey grilles on black car - alternatives?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EldRick

I've got a black Bolt, and don't care for the grey front "grilles".

I'm thinking of either buying the black ones that other colors use, or just spraying them black to match the car.

Has anyone done either of these tweaks on a black Bolt? Got pix?

Some people (with other cars or trucks) use spray rubber (e.g. Plasti Dip) to "paint" specific car or truck parts (like grilles, bumpers, wheels) black. It is supposed to be easily removable if you decide you want to have the stock appearance back.

Some colors come with black grilles (see the chevy website for the list). Maybe you could swap with an owner who wants your color and has black?

Good thought - anyone with Titanium or other color want to work a swap?

Otherwise, I'm planning to have a body shop spray them to match the black car.

Another option is to wait until some crashed (in the side or rear) cars show up in salvage yards and see if the grilles are available for less there.

But you may want to try the spray rubber first to see how you like it, since it can be removed if you do not like it.

I've used Plastidip - both spray and dip versions. The dip-in-it version is much more durable, while the spray stuff comes off easily with a fingernail, and I don't care for the look on a car.
I think shiny black matching the car color would be fine.

I feel the same way. So disappointed that the black grilles are not even an option on black car.

I'm gonna wrap mine - probably in carbon fibre. If I don't like it, I can peel it off and wrap it in gloss black.

Yea what is Chevrolet thinking putting a fake silver grille in a black EV. I almost bought a silver Bolt to get the black grille but if I had a silver Bolt I'd want the silver grille. I'd like to know the ratio of folks who prefer a silver grille in their black Bolt vs black. Anyone want to trade? I'll do the research and work and guarantee perfection. I'm in Livermore, CA.

Keep your Bolt charged. You never know when OJ may need another lyft

Yep, black on black definitely looks sharper.
I don't like the grey grill on an orange Bolt either.
636322845936662157-bolt-hell-bar.jpg

I asked the dealer body shop about replacing or spraying the "grilles" on my "black" Bolt.

They said that the black replacement grille would not match the car because the car has "sparkle" in the paint (I don't recall the technical term). They also told me that to match the paint by spraying the grilles they would have to spray the whole front of the car, to fade in the change in the sparkle, so it would match that part of the car near it.

First time I've ever had a body shop advise me not to have work done, so it seems credible.

EldRick said:
I asked the dealer body shop about replacing or spraying the "grilles" on my "black" Bolt.

They said that the black replacement grille would not match the car because the car has "sparkle" in the paint (I don't recall the technical term).
The grille is a separate design element so does it really have to match to that degree of detail? I mean, heck, if you didn't spray it at all then it's going to be mismatched a helluva lot more than just because it lacks the "sparkle".

SeanNelson said:
EldRick said:

They said that the black replacement grille would not match the car because the car has "sparkle" in the paint (I don't recall the technical term).
The grille is a separate design element so does it really have to match to that degree of detail? I mean, heck, if you didn't spray it at all then it's going to be mismatched a helluva lot more than just because it lacks the "sparkle".

Yes I totally agree about the grille being a separate design element. And with the heck is that body shop painter talking about?- The difference between grey and black w/ sparkle is much greater than the difference between black w/o and black w/ sparkle.

I recommend VHT Nite-Shades then a clear coat to achieve grille blackening. I did my front and rear emblems and they look sweet! I did 3 lite coats of the VHT Nite-Shades and the gold just barely comes through in certain lighting conditions. I was planning on VHT Nite-Shades on the grilles but my upper grille got cracked from a rock and my lower grill has the license plate holes so I'm just going to replace them both with the black grilles.

Back