Is Chevy investigating seat complaints?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm adjusting to the seat comfort while driving but there is NO WAY to exit the car without my left outer thigh getting bruised on the side-seat plastic. It's terrible, honestly. I'm coming from a BMW i3 which had VERY thin seats and that area was covered by the lower cushion. Terrible.

I have called Chevy and had a very unproductive discussion with someone in (non) customer care. I can hardly walk due to pain from my new Bolt. While on a drive of 110 miles I had my husband drive, but he ended up with a leg cramp and could not continue. I've missed work due to back pain. Has anyone had success with Chevy taking responsibility and fixing the problem???

Hi. I was very impressed with Chevy's customer service when I called to notify them of the pain that I have been experiencing for over a week now since leasing my Bolt on April 3, 2017, from a dealer in Glendale. My dealer gave me the number to Chevy's customer service. I have a very short commute to work - under 8 miles each way. The pain in my left hip at the hip bone is excruciating and I am having pain in my left hamstring, too. Elma was very nice, listened, connected me with my dealer to schedule a service appointment, and emailed my case number to me when I asked her to do so. I'll drop my car at the dealer on Monday morning and we'll see what can be done. I hope this seat issue can be resolved; I don't want to have to get a different car because I think the Bolt is just terrific! My case number is 8-2922589732, by the way. Thanks!

ChevyCustomerCare said:
joelsg said:
Looking for an EV, I drove a Bolt the other day and loved everything about it EXCEPT the seat comfort. Seat was too narrow, not enough lumbar support and a lot of pressure on my left hip which is always mildly sore. When I got back in to my Nissan Altima I immediately noticed the improvement in comfort! Would love to purchase the car, but uncomfortable seats are deal breaker for me. Agree that Chevy needs to fix this and then watch sales take off!

Hi joelsg,

We are truly sorry to hear that the seats may have negatively impacted your perception of the Bolt EV! Rest assured that this is something we take seriously and we've brought your comments to the attention of the appropriate teams on our end.

Please feel free to follow up with us via private message or via email at [email protected] if you'd like to discuss the Bolt EV further.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

+1. I was one of the folks who had a deposit down months ahead of time on a Bolt. When it arrived, I loved driving it--but hated getting in and out of it (you'll bruise yourself on that hard seat bottom frame) and sitting in it (the rear bolsters are behind you instead of to the sides). I have tried to talk myself into the car, trying to get used to the seats by driving the car twice and sitting in it three times -- most recently at an Earth Day event where you could sit in and drive the Bolt and all its competitors. The Bolt is better than the VW e-Golf in every way on paper--quicker, longer range--but the delta in comfort between the two (interior width, seat comfort) actually makes the VW seem more appealing. This shouldn't be a hard problem to solve...but it is a real problem that Chevy needs to act on, and possibly offer a retrofit for, ASAP.

Hi. Unfortunately, my experience so far with Chevy taking responsibility for the seat is similar to KarenK. Here's a summary of where we are:

1. My dealer put me in touch with Chevy
2. Chevy then set up an appointment with the dealer to check the seats.
3. The serviceman at the dealership told me, his manager, and Chevy that my seats are the same as all the other Bolts on the lot.
4. I called Chevy back to tell them and to escalate the issue. I've asked for a cancellation of the lease because of a design defect.
5. Chevy then escalated it to one of the people handling the California market, named Jeremy.
6. Jeremy called the dealer to find out any additional information.
7. Spoke with Jeremy today who told me that because there is nothing wrong with the seat as per my dealer and Chevy has not issued a recall, there is nothing he can do. I asked to speak to his boss.
8. I called my dealer and told them what Jeremy told me.
9. My left hip and leg is feeling MUCH better now after not driving the Bolt for more than a week. The dealer put me in a Chevy Malibu. It's interesting how that seat is fine, but the Bolt's is not.

Still waiting to hear from Jeremy's boss. It sounds like Chevy/GM is throwing this back on the dealer.
Needless to say, I am very, very disappointed in Chevy's/GM's response. :(

I have a case number in case anyone from Chevy is reading this.

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6193

so the seats not only HURT but they are coming apart...

Are you listening CHEVY????

we are going to use social media to spread the word. :x :x :x :x :x :x

I'm really surprised at the willingness of Bolt owners to suffer through the seat thing. I'm surprised nobody has contacted a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit. More than a few lawyers will do this at no cost to you.

All you have to do is Google "class action lawyers", and then make a phone call or send an email. Then just point your lawyer to the Bolt forums. Then sit back and watch it all hit the fan. Don't get mad. Get even.

ScooterCT said:
I'm really surprised at the willingness of Bolt owners to suffer through the seat thing. I'm surprised nobody has contacted a lawyer to file a class action lawsuit. More than a few lawyers will do this at no cost to you.

All you have to do is Google "class action lawyers", and then make a phone call or send an email. Then just point your lawyer to the Bolt forums. Then sit back and watch it all hit the fan. Don't get mad. Get even.

ScooterCT, are you one of the owners suffering through this issue? STILL no word from Jeremy or his supervisor David at GM and I've left 8 voicemail messages. Allen Gwynn Chevrolet, my dealer in Glendale, told me today that he is going to start charging me for the courtesy rental and a fee for storing my Bolt. He also told me that there is nothing more that he can do until there's an authorized repair from Chevy/GM.

This is my very first experience with GM and Chevy and I have to say, it will likely be my last. The customer service stinks. GM does not seem to care about its customers who purchased or leased a $40,000+ car.

On the positive side, I was able to do my typical 3 mile run on Saturday morning pain-free after not driving the Bolt for almost two weeks.

Are you guys following this other thread about the seats???

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6193

How far will this go????

>> ScooterCT, are you one of the owners suffering through this issue?

I don't own a Bolt, but I might someday - possibly after the initial Bolt owners complete the real-world testing that GM skipped in their rush to market. The seats, the constant stream of other issues reported here, and what I personally consider an "econobox" interior has cooled my ardor for the moment. I'm content to do what the vast majority of participants on this forum seem to be doing - watch and learn from a safe distance.

But I'm truly interested in the Bolt, and I respect it for what it is. It is the perfect car for early adopters who want affordable range with utility "right now", and who have the patience to help GM work out any kinks they encounter along the way. And I can't help noticing that for every Bolt skeptic on this forum, there is an owner totally happy with and loving their Bolt. So I respect their personal Bolt experiences.

While unfortunate that the seats were so poorly designed, do what I did.

BUY A $30 to $50 seat cushion and get on with enjoying life and the car. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

gpsman said:
While unfortunate that the seats were so poorly designed, do what I did.

BUY A $30 to $50 seat cushion and get on with enjoying life and the car. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Or you can add some foam to the seat as described in this thread:
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6157
According to the posters there, suitable foam should be inexpensive, the procedure takes only 15 minutes and no tools, the added foam is below the existing seat foam so it does not affect the seat heaters (if equipped), and the modification is easily reversible. (I have not done it, because I do not find the seats to be too narrow or the bolsters too big for me.)

Please let me know if you are interested in joining a class action.
Complaint to be filed next week
My perhaps limited understanding is that if the class is certified, then all owners would belong to the class unless they opt out. So are you looking for additional lead plaintiffs?

Cheers, Wayne

My Chevy Spark EV lease ends in five days. I've been happy with the Spark drivetrain-wise, yet the level of comfort isn't even mediocre - just too thin body panels with no sound deadening, resulting in a too noisy car. Considered buying the Spark off lease and sound-proofing it, yet upon closer investigation it turned out that the platform simply doesn't afford enough intra-panel clearances to do it well.

Was about to lease a Bolt. Test drove one of the very first ones that came to our area at the end of 2016, and was suitably impressed. Did not notice the seat issue back then. Was monitoring the early owners experiences and learned about the seat issue, which later confirmed myself by test-driving later Bolts. Was eagerly anticipating the end of Spark's lease. Was hoping that by then GM would fix early teething problems with Bolts. But after seeing how GM didn't take care of the obvious and easy to fix seat design flaw, I'm pulling the plug on Bolt.

Complaints and lawsuits may have some effect, yet the biggest factor for GM now is the loss of customer loyalty momentum. Consider brands of my previous cars for the last 20 years: Infinity, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes. Obviously, a logical choice for me three years ago was to move to Tesla, yet I found that Chevy Spark EV drove in the city very similarly to a regular 2012 Tesla Model S, while being essentially a free car. Also, Tesla's interior felt way too cheap for the price they were asking.

After "testing the waters" with the Spark EV, I now understand much better my EV usage patterns, and what car would fit them the best. Bolt would be such a car, if not for the GM's inattention to its quality. Penny Wise, Pound Foolish? Reportedly, the 2018 Nissan Leaf may provide a worthy alternative. Tesla Model 3 appeared too small based on the information I had so far, yet it may turn out to be sufficient in reality.

Local GM dealerships are overflowing with Bolts. I visited one of the largest Chevy dealerships last weekend, during prime time. There were no other customers interested in Bolt. The salesperson sounded desperate. Driving home after that, I came upon a fenced-off area with huge number of Bolts staged there. The only time in the past I've seen such a "stash" was during the 2008 financial crisis, with BMW dealerships establishing huge lots for keeping its unsold inventories.

GM really needs to wake up!

At least in Indiana, Bolts still aren't available. I supposedly got in on an Indianapolis dealers initial allocation of 2 Bolts. My salesperson knew I was very interested and let me pick what I wanted so I'd get my car in their dealer allocation. Supposedly it's build week was July 3rd and I still haven't heard anything. They may have tons in other states but they don't exist at all here in Indiana. :(

This may explain the position GM took on the seat issue. They are still filling the pipelines in other states, and the consumer rejection which already started in the well-supplied states isn't perceived yet by the corporate brass as a seruios enough problem.

That's pitiful. Bolt has a really nice drivetrain, second only to Tesla's. And its general design is just right. But it is undermined by subpar quality of seats, and of interior assembly in general. For instance, I've seen a piece of front pillar lining coming off in a nearly new Bolt I test-drove.

So, maybe unavailability of Bolts in Indiana is a blessing in disguise. We the Californians appear to be chosen by GM - once again - as beta-testers of a not-quite-finished car.

My Bolt was ordered on my dealers initial allocation and arrived about 4 weeks later. Like the poster above, my dealer let me configure mine - but didn't even require a deposit. I actually negotiated the purchase after the car arrived and I was able to drive and examine it.

I've had it 3 weeks now with over 1200 miles on it. And I'm very happy with the car. The seats are a little narrow and firm but they're comfortable for me. The interior materials and overall build quality and fit/finish are surprisingly good.

To put some of this seat carping in perspective: my 2013 Tesla model S has the original seats that caused lots of complaints. It took Tesla over 2 years to offer improved seats and they were a $2500 option - and still caused some comfort complaints. My Tesla also has lots of hard plastic interior trim that looks a little cheesy and causes buzzes and rattles.

The Bolt, at way less than half Model S money, is actually a very nicely appointed car. Don't let some of these negative comments dissuade you from a purchase.

I'm glad to have both cars and don't regret the Bolt purchase one bit.

What these "negative comments" should do is dissuade people from ordering a Bolt without driving one first. You were lucky.

LeftieBiker said:
What these "negative comments" should do is dissuade people from ordering a Bolt without driving one first. You were lucky.
That seems to be proving to be pretty much impossible to do here in Canada where there are simply no demonstrators available and the only way to purchase a car seems to be to order one and wait 8 months for it to be delivered. I've managed to get in some 5-minute drives at auto shows, but with a number of people noting that short drives were fine but longer ones became problematic, I'm reluctant to base a decision on such a short test.

Back