BoltWanabee
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am

SeanNelson wrote:Arguing that Tesla Superchargers should be listed as "restricted" would be the same as arguing that CHAdeMO chargers should be so listed..


Absolutely not. CHAdeMO is an international standard adopted by multiple auto manufacturers. Tesla supercharging uses a proprietary standard that can only be used by Tesla vehicles. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Bolt EV fan is that I'm so adamantly against Tesla proprietary supercharging.

If you want to argue and support of Tesla supercharging you're in the wrong forum.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 pm

BoltWanabee wrote:
SeanNelson wrote:Arguing that Tesla Superchargers should be listed as "restricted" would be the same as arguing that CHAdeMO chargers should be so listed..


Absolutely not. CHAdeMO is an international standard adopted by multiple auto manufacturers. Tesla supercharging uses a proprietary standard that can only be used by Tesla vehicles. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Bolt EV fan is that I'm so adamantly against Tesla proprietary supercharging.

If you want to argue and support of Tesla supercharging you're in the wrong forum.


There was an entire thread dedicated to "who belongs in this forum". Let's not go there again. This should be a place for all viewpoints, not just pro-Bolt or pro-GM.

FWIW, I side more with BoltWanabee here. Tesla / Elon talk a lot about wanting to support the entire EV industry. They say that more competition from OEMs is a good thing. That it validates them. Well, what could validate them more than Bolts charging at their superchargers? I understand the business case for not adding CCS ports to the stations, but it would not be against their mission statement:

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy


https://www.tesla.com/about

They have already rebranded themselves from a car company (used to be teslamotors.com) to also include energy products (now just tesla.com). It's not a stretch to see them as the Exxon Mobile of the EV fueling world. Really all they would have to do is add CCS / CHAdeMO ports at their superchargers and provide access for all EVs (for a reasonable fee of course).
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

SeanNelson
Posts: 898
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:43 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Sat May 20, 2017 5:22 am

BoltWanabee wrote:
SeanNelson wrote:Arguing that Tesla Superchargers should be listed as "restricted" would be the same as arguing that CHAdeMO chargers should be so listed..

Absolutely not. CHAdeMO is an international standard adopted by multiple auto manufacturers. Tesla supercharging uses a proprietary standard that can only be used by Tesla vehicles. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Bolt EV fan is that I'm so adamantly against Tesla proprietary supercharging.

Yeah, I get the proprietary issue, but that's not what I'm talking about here. The reality is that there are three incompatible charging types that have more-or-less similar market share. And PlugShare can already filter by the plug type. So arguing that a Tesla charging station should be labeled as "restricted" just because of the plug type is redundant - you can already tell that your CCS car can't be used there. So what's the point of labeling it "restricted"?

A PlugShare station listed as "Restricted" should be one that isn't freely available to the public, and Tesla owners are part of the "public" we're talking about here. (Note that "freely" in this context has nothing to do with pricing). "Not freely available to the public" might mean that it's behind a locked gate, that it requires you be a member of some organization, or whatever would prevent you from accessing the charger besides the plug type, 'cause that's already accounted for.

Nagorak
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:20 am

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Sat May 20, 2017 8:20 am

I suspect that Tesla chargers will eventually be open to all, but right now it's a huge selling point that they're not about to give up. At some point they will be enough other chargers that the Tesla advantage won't really matter and then they'll probably try to monetize the stations. That is if Tesla is still around as an independent company which despite the soaring share price I wouldn't say is guaranteed.

SparkE
Moderator
Posts: 670
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 am

And in the past, I haven't noticed PlugShare requiring "restricted" listings for dealerships that only allow that brand's vehicles to charge for free. Their issue (requiring the 'restricted' label) *used to be* if a dealer only let THEIR CUSTOMERS (i.e., people who bought at THEIR location) use the charger.

There's a BMW dealership near SFO (the airport) that allows BMWs (any BMW, bought anywhere) to charge for free - all others must pay. It's listed in PlugShare.

GetOffYourGas
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Nagorak wrote:I suspect that Tesla chargers will eventually be open to all, but right now it's a huge selling point that they're not about to give up. At some point they will be enough other chargers that the Tesla advantage won't really matter and then they'll probably try to monetize the stations. That is if Tesla is still around as an independent company which despite the soaring share price I wouldn't say is guaranteed.


I'm really hoping that this happens, and that Tesla remains in business for a long time. I wouldn't mind a world in which I had a choice of a Tesla, EVGo, or ChargePoint station. Just like I have a choice of Sunoco, Mobil, or Speedway station for gas. But right now that's just a dream.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

nikola
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Tue May 30, 2017 3:46 am

BoltWanabee wrote:
Dgodfrey wrote:Please explain to us how a non-functioning EVSE still in a box in the corner of a shop is of any benefit to the Bolt driver?


They won't be in boxes long. The CCS chargers were sent to dealerships even before the dealerships received Bolts EVs to sell and service. Dealerships in states that already sell and service Bolt EVs are already installing their CCS chargers and the remaining dealerships are going to be installing their CCS chargers as soon as there are Bolt EVs in their state to sell and service.


They may be in boxes for some time. I spoke to a dealer, the 480V, 3-phase that he needs is nowhere near where he needs to deploy the charger. He may have to tear up a lot of asphalt and also needs the utility to deliver 480V. I wonder how many dealers are in the same boat.

BoltWanabee
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 am

nikola wrote:They may be in boxes for some time. I spoke to a dealer, the 480V, 3-phase that he needs is nowhere near where he needs to deploy the charger. He may have to tear up a lot of asphalt and also needs the utility to deliver 480V. I wonder how many dealers are in the same boat.


A good contractor can run power like that in a couple of days and running power really doesn't cost that much as long as the power is available at the main distribution panel. But I'm sure many dealers are going to put off the installations until they really need them. For most dealers that won't be until the end of the year when GM does a nation wide rollout of the Bolt EV.

BoltWanabee
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Come on guys, step up! I know there are Bolt EV dealerships out there that have CCS chargers up and running but these dealerships are not getting added to PlugShare. I've added a couple of dealerships to PlugShare myself just by calling the dealerships and verifying the CCS charger are operational but with almost twelve hundred Bolt EV dealerships there are far too many for me to track all by myself.

Having these dealerships listed in PlugShare is important to all of us interested in using and promoting the Bolt EV. Having the dealerships listed in PlugShare not only will help Bolt EV owners identity additional charging options, it will encourage prospective Bolt EV buyers. We need to get as many Bolt EV dealerships with functioning CCS chargers listed in PlugShare as we can.

So you have the list of certified Bolt EV dealerships, call a few of them that are not listed in PlugShare and ask the Service Departments if their CCS chargers are operational. If the CCS chargers are operational, list the dealership in PlugShare. If you don't want to or don't know how to list the dealership in PlugShare send the name and city of the dealership to me and I will list the dealership in PlugShare.

sparkyps
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:56 pm

BoltWanabee wrote:Come on guys, step up! I know there are Bolt EV dealerships out there that have CCS chargers up and running but these dealerships are not getting added to PlugShare. I've added a couple of dealerships to PlugShare myself just by calling the dealerships and verifying the CCS charger are operational but with almost twelve hundred Bolt EV dealerships there are far too many for me to track all by myself.

Having these dealerships listed in PlugShare is important to all of us interested in using and promoting the Bolt EV. Having the dealerships listed in PlugShare not only will help Bolt EV owners identity additional charging options, it will encourage prospective Bolt EV buyers. We need to get as many Bolt EV dealerships with functioning CCS chargers listed in PlugShare as we can.

So you have the list of certified Bolt EV dealerships, call a few of them that are not listed in PlugShare and ask the Service Departments if their CCS chargers are operational. If the CCS chargers are operational, list the dealership in PlugShare. If you don't want to or don't know how to list the dealership in PlugShare send the name and city of the dealership to me and I will list the dealership in PlugShare.



Good idea BoltWanabee, while I doubt hundreds of people will all start calling dealerships asking about their CCS chargers it might be useful to have a way to track who has already been called and what their status is (installed, planning to install, no plans, ...). Perhaps a Google docs spreadsheet to view and a Google docs form for people to enter information for putting in the spreadsheet?

Does anyone have a complete list of the dealerships with address/phone numbers in electronic form?

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”