BoltWanabee

Re: CCS chargers now at Bolt EV (Chevrolet) dealerships!!!

Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am

SeanNelson wrote:Arguing that Tesla Superchargers should be listed as "restricted" would be the same as arguing that CHAdeMO chargers should be so listed..

Absolutely not. CHAdeMO is an international standard adopted by multiple auto manufacturers. Tesla supercharging uses a proprietary standard that can only be used by Tesla vehicles. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Bolt EV fan is that I'm so adamantly against Tesla proprietary supercharging.

If you want to argue and support of Tesla supercharging you're in the wrong forum.

GetOffYourGas

Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 pm

BoltWanabee wrote:
SeanNelson wrote:Arguing that Tesla Superchargers should be listed as "restricted" would be the same as arguing that CHAdeMO chargers should be so listed..

Absolutely not. CHAdeMO is an international standard adopted by multiple auto manufacturers. Tesla supercharging uses a proprietary standard that can only be used by Tesla vehicles. One of the reasons I'm such a huge Bolt EV fan is that I'm so adamantly against Tesla proprietary supercharging.

If you want to argue and support of Tesla supercharging you're in the wrong forum.

There was an entire thread dedicated to "who belongs in this forum". Let's not go there again. This should be a place for all viewpoints, not just pro-Bolt or pro-GM.

FWIW, I side more with BoltWanabee here. Tesla / Elon talk a lot about wanting to support the entire EV industry. They say that more competition from OEMs is a good thing. That it validates them. Well, what could validate them more than Bolts charging at their superchargers? I understand the business case for not adding CCS ports to the stations, but it would not be against their mission statement:

Tesla’s mission is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy

https://www.tesla.com/about

They have already rebranded themselves from a car company (used to be teslamotors.com) to also include energy products (now just tesla.com). It's not a stretch to see them as the Exxon Mobile of the EV fueling world. Really all they would have to do is add CCS / CHAdeMO ports at their superchargers and provide access for all EVs (for a reasonable fee of course).
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

SeanNelson

Sat May 20, 2017 5:22 am

BoltWanabee wrote:

Yeah, I get the proprietary issue, but that's not what I'm talking about here. The reality is that there are three incompatible charging types that have more-or-less similar market share. And PlugShare can already filter by the plug type. So arguing that a Tesla charging station should be labeled as "restricted" just because of the plug type is redundant - you can already tell that your CCS car can't be used there. So what's the point of labeling it "restricted"?

A PlugShare station listed as "Restricted" should be one that isn't freely available to the public, and Tesla owners are part of the "public" we're talking about here. (Note that "freely" in this context has nothing to do with pricing). "Not freely available to the public" might mean that it's behind a locked gate, that it requires you be a member of some organization, or whatever would prevent you from accessing the charger besides the plug type, 'cause that's already accounted for.

Nagorak

Sat May 20, 2017 8:20 am

I suspect that Tesla chargers will eventually be open to all, but right now it's a huge selling point that they're not about to give up. At some point they will be enough other chargers that the Tesla advantage won't really matter and then they'll probably try to monetize the stations. That is if Tesla is still around as an independent company which despite the soaring share price I wouldn't say is guaranteed.

SparkE

Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 am

And in the past, I haven't noticed PlugShare requiring "restricted" listings for dealerships that only allow that brand's vehicles to charge for free. Their issue (requiring the 'restricted' label) *used to be* if a dealer only let THEIR CUSTOMERS (i.e., people who bought at THEIR location) use the charger.

There's a BMW dealership near SFO (the airport) that allows BMWs (any BMW, bought anywhere) to charge for free - all others must pay. It's listed in PlugShare.

GetOffYourGas

Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Nagorak wrote:I suspect that Tesla chargers will eventually be open to all, but right now it's a huge selling point that they're not about to give up. At some point they will be enough other chargers that the Tesla advantage won't really matter and then they'll probably try to monetize the stations. That is if Tesla is still around as an independent company which despite the soaring share price I wouldn't say is guaranteed.

I'm really hoping that this happens, and that Tesla remains in business for a long time. I wouldn't mind a world in which I had a choice of a Tesla, EVGo, or ChargePoint station. Just like I have a choice of Sunoco, Mobil, or Speedway station for gas. But right now that's just a dream.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)

Return to “News and Main Chevy Bolt EV Forum”