What are the Trailer Interface Module fuses for?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 667

Pages 268 and 269 of the Bolt EV Owners Manual identify two fuses for Trailer Interface Modules, fuse F10 and fuse F29. My understanding of a trailer interface module is a device used to control power to trailer lights but the Owners Manual also says that the Bolt EV is not designed to pull a trailer. Does anyone know what these Trailer Interface Module fuses are for?

It's possible that the Ampere-E will be rated for towing since it's common for smaller vehicles to be rated for towing in Europe even though the American counterparts are not. Since the Bolt EV and the Ampere-E share the same basic design it would make sense the Ampere-E is designed for trailer wiring so is the Bolt EV. If these fuses are for trailer wiring, where on the wiring harness do you connect to these fuses?

If the Bolt EV has fuses dedicated to trailer wiring then it also makes sense that there is a trailer wiring kit specifically designed for the Bolt EV that might just plug right in. etrailer.com advertises trailer wiring kits with Trailer Interface Modules for the Bolt EV but the installation instructions are very poor, the wiring appears very difficult to install and the instructions don't mention anything about tying into existing fuses for Trailer Interface Modules. Maybe if we keep pushing Chevrolet and the trailer hitch vendors for answers we can find out what these Trailer Interface Module fuses are for and, if they are for trailer wiring, we can get a trailer wiring kit for the Bolt EV specifically designed to be used with these fuses.

Clueless guess here. GM and every other automaker pulls parts out of a bin for reuse. This is standard procedure for cost savings. Maybe they just grabbed an existing fuse box from inventory. Remember, this car was cobbled together in two years. Normal development cycle is 4-7 years.

By the way, that development cycle ought to instill some fear in buyers. Your car is missing about two years of test and development, which basically makes you volunteer GM test engineers...

s

ScooterCT said:
Clueless guess here. GM and every other automaker pulls parts out of a bin for reuse. This is standard procedure for cost savings. Maybe they just grabbed an existing fuse box from inventory. Remember, this car was cobbled together in two years. Normal development cycle is 4-7 years.

By the way, that development cycle ought to instill some fear in buyers. Your car is missing about two years of test and development, which basically makes you volunteer GM test engineers...

s

Yes your guesses are Clueless. The selection and labeling of the fuses are specific to the Bolt EV. If you find a car that uses the exact same fuse box with selections and labels please provide a link so that your information can be verified otherwise please refrain from providing unsubstantiated derogatory posts.

ScooterCT said:
GM and every other automaker pulls parts out of a bin for reuse. This is standard procedure for cost savings. Maybe they just grabbed an existing fuse box from inventory.
I tend to doubt that, but I guess we'll know for sure when the Ampera-E is released.

I too would like info from Chevy concerning the use, location, schematics for the Bolt's trailer modules. Thanks, John

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611/1609771499 describes why Europeans tow with small cars while Americans tow with large trucks.

dmzih2so72ma6cqjttbf.jpg

xylhuizh3fvu9c0z9lma.jpg

In the first setup, the tongue weight is higher, making it more difficult for a small car to tow. In the second setup, the lesser tongue weight makes it possible for a small car to tow, but worsens stability at high speeds. European drivers need to be much more conscious of staying within a safe speed for towing trailers set up to be towable by small cars.

So do not be surprised if the Ampera-E is rated to tow in Europe with low-tongue-weight trailers at low speeds (as is done with other small cars there). The Bolt presumably has no tow rating because towing a trailer with a low enough tongue weight would be unsafe as soon as the combination gets to the speed of a typical US freeway.

Thank you boltage. I totally didn't come here for that but I have learned something none-the-less.

There is no sarcasm in this statement.

Note that speed limits for cars towing trailers in much of Europe are 80 km/h (50 mph).

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/going_abroad/germany/speed_limits_en.htm

boltage said:
So do not be surprised if the Ampera-E is rated to tow in Europe with low-tongue-weight trailers at low speeds (as is done with other small cars there). The Bolt presumably has no tow rating because towing a trailer with a low enough tongue weight would be unsafe as soon as the combination gets to the speed of a typical US freeway.

That's the kind of setup that makes me wonder if my 1000 lb pop-up would work. Of course with a leased car no way I'm going to try...

I learned what the "trailer interface module" is -- it actually has nothing to do with trailers. It is a module behind the left rear panel that controls just the brake and parking lights on the tailgate (it does not control the turn and reverse lights on the bumper).

Input to the module is a serial communication line, 20A power line and a 10A ignition line (that's why there are two fuses), output from the module is all the tailgate lights.

ScooterCT said:

s

You mean like a Tesla Model 3 will make you a volunteer Tesla test engineer and current Model S/X volunteer autopilot test dummies.

After trying to access that area of the bolt and hearing that the lights are serially controlled with module controller.

Getting to the wires and relays,involves removing panels and possibly special tools to avoid breaking the attachment tabs of those panels
Is it possible that the Bolt is not designed for towing stance is because of the lack of access to the required Wiring?

Back