How To: Install upgraded telescopic sun visors

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tttait said:
flamaest said:
Right, that's just one example. Lots to choose from.

Would be great if anyone has the ability of doing a little bit of measuring between the two. I know I'm asking a lot since most folks don't have a gen 1 and Gen 2 volt at their disposal.

2013 Volt sunvisors (subtle beige) are identical to 2017 volt Sunvisors (grey). Both are dimensionally identical to the Bolt stock visor in dimensions. There are additional pieces of plastic on the base of the Volt mounting plate that must be cut away per the first post.

What dimensions would you need?

Perfect, these older volt sun visors are dirt cheap on eBay.

It would appear that all of these vehicles share the same telescoping sun visors.

2007 2008 2009 Saturn Aura

2011 2012 2013 2014 Chevrolet Volt

As you start digging around, the Saturn Aura sun visors come in at the lowest price because it's an old vehicle.

flamaest said:
It would appear that all of these vehicles share the same telescoping sun visors.

2007 2008 2009 Saturn Aura

2011 2012 2013 2014 Chevrolet Volt

As you start digging around, the Saturn Aura sun visors come in at the lowest price because it's an old vehicle.

This is great info! If anyone finds any of these compatible visors being sold new on eBay (or elsewhere), could you please post a link? Would prefer buying them new if possible.

There are probably a lot of them that could be made to fit, GM seems to use one supplier for many of their products. I had a rental Opel in France a month or so ago and its visors appeared to be able to modify, but I didn't take them out to be positive.

I was happy with the fit on the 2013 Volt Visors I first started with, but the color was off. I tried dying them, one turned out good and the second one came out way too dark. On top of that the dyd easily scraped off the plastic parts, so they didn't look great even when dyed.

The trick is finding one that's the right color...

Even the 2013 units might be described as "grey", but its more of a warm or beige grey. The 2017 Volt units are actually a better match than the OEM bolt units.

You can try your local pick a part yard...

Search for this on Ebay, lots of good stock for 30 bucks each:

"Saturn Aura Driver Sunvisor"

Make the guy and offer for less since you might get two.... L+R.

I'm preparing the install the telescopic sun visors from the Volt and they come with vanity lights, I'd like to get them to work too, so I was planning on taping power from the overhead console. Unfortunately I do not know how to remove it. On the Volt it is held in place with 4 metal clips and it just pulls out, but that do not seems to be the case for the Bolt.

Anyone know how to remove the overhead console?

Plastic clips, if you just pull it down, most won't break, but a few might. Take your time.

I try to pull it out, I can see some clips, I disengage them, but the console doesn't get freed, it seems like something is still holding it?

Someone has a picture of the console once removed? Are you sure there are not some screws behind the light? (like on Hondas for example)

timeToy said:
I try to pull it out, I can see some clips, I disengage them, but the console doesn't get freed, it seems like something is still holding it?

Someone has a picture of the console once removed? Are you sure there are not some screws behind the light? (like on Hondas for example)

I pulled mine down as instructed by the dealer, and a couple of the clips broke a little. if I took my time perhaps they would not have. There does not appear to be a secondary attachment however. I did not think to take photos while it was down, I pushed it back in place and it went back ok, but I'm not going to try it again till I need to just in case something else breaks the next time.

Caveat Repairor.

there may be another option - see this thread :

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6177

It shows pics of how to tap 12V off the rear view mirror. you could pop off the cover here and tap int the 12V as well, just run the new wires up into the headliner and fish them over to the visor locations.

Tttait said:
I pulled mine down as instructed by the dealer, and a couple of the clips broke a little. if I took my time perhaps they would not have. There does not appear to be a secondary attachment however. I did not think to take photos while it was down, I pushed it back in place and it went back ok, but I'm not going to try it again till I need to just in case something else breaks the next time.
Thanks a lot I will be very careful while taking it down and take a few pictures for other members.

Now if GM Parts could deliver my mirrors before the week end that will be nice! UPS SurePost is so slow!

Tttait said:
there may be another option - see this thread :

http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6177

It shows pics of how to tap 12V off the rear view mirror. you could pop off the cover here and tap int the 12V as well, just run the new wires up into the headliner and fish them over to the visor locations.
I already tap into the mirror power for my dashcam: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/26-electronics-audio-lighting/9658-dash-cam-install-2.html#post134153
That's why I want to tap into a different circuit for the visors' vanity lamps

I have retrofitted my telescopic sun visor with working vanity lights:
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/11-exterior-interior/11922-telescopic-sun-visor-retrofit-working-vanity-lights.html#post141882

Here are the pictures for the overhead console:

The fitment looks as if it was designed for this use. I wonder if that really was the case but cut costs in order to hit the price-point.

scbolt said:
Tttait said:
I did not order the parts myself, but the part number for one is shown in my photos. It comes up as a 2016 part (2017 parts don't show up yet on many websites). Based on that I believe the Part numbers are as follows:

Sun Visor - Drivers Side
Left. w/vanity lamp grey; w/vanity lamp, grey.

Sun Visor - Passenger Side
Right. w/vanity lamp grey; w/vanity lamp, grey.

Sun Visor Cover.
Left; Right. grey.
23438713 (2 Required)

A quick search shows the total for all 4 parts cost $154.12 plus shipping from GMPartsDirect.com

Has anyone​ here ordered from GMPartsDirect using these part numbers? Just trying to get a confirmation that these are indeed color matched with the Bolt.

Ordered these from GMPartsDirect.com last week, got them and finished the installation yesterday. Everything worked great! Thanks again for the great instructions!

Thanks OP for the genius idea.

One of my complains on my long list of complains (standing from a $43k Premier edition car) is how cheap the sun visors are, not only visually but the feel and texture remind me of 1999 Daewoo Lanos.

90 bucks for a set from a 2015 Volt from Ebay, 30 minutes installation time and now I can once again enjoy my long commute on the North / South 605 FWY

:D :D :D :D

gbobman said:
The fitment looks as if it was designed for this use. I wonder if that really was the case but cut costs in order to hit the price-point.

Simpler than that really I think. GM appears to have a standard specification for sunvisors worldwide, with just minor variations:
Vinyl or cloth
Telescopic or not, determines 3 hole mount or 2
Color
Lighted mirror or not
Escutcheon cover or not

Most dimensions are universal across GM.

Some program manager looks up the options and picks one from the list. Either there is a single worldwide supplier, or multiple sources all building to the same specification.

Honestly somebody just cheaped out at GM. They thought they could save $8 a car and we'd never notice. That's why the oem vinyl visors are a poor color match (IMO) to the Bolt headliner, somebody checked the light grey box on two lists and said "close enough". (Dear Mary Barra, don't give this guy his quarterly bonus please, we noticed.)

Now if someone can find a late model GM car with the telescoping sun visors, grey cloth cover AND Homelink, I'd be really stoked. Anybody got a recent Corvette or Escalade with homelink in the visor?

Tom

I just looked up the visors in the GM parts site and found Volt R&L visors without lights, which cost less- so I am going to call the parts dept and see if they know if they telescope. Same covers.

Sun-visor, right, w/o vanity lamp
Part Number: 23223682

Sun-visor, left, w/o vanity lamp
Part Number: 23223680

Sun-Visor Cover
Part Number: 23438713

Source: https://www.generalmotorspartsonline.com/index.php?p=cart

Final cost shipped to me in Vermont- just under $147.00

The 2018 Bolt is said to have telescoping sun visors, which will very likely be a bolt-on fit.

Back