Chevy has 55 pre-production Bolt EV test mules

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmvoltguy

InsideEVs is reporting that GM already has 55 test mules up and running.

GM head of EVs Pam Fletcher says "They're running fast - the fact we can show you fifty-something cars running is busy." The test Bolts are being built at GM's Orion plant as well as in South Korea where the Spark EV is manufactured. Chevrolet Bolt EV's chief engineer Josh Tavel said the test mules are effectively "the bones of the car that's going to be the production Chevy Bolt."

Here's a shot of the Bolt pre-production test mule:
chevrolet-bolt-camo-testing-2.jpg

Full article: http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-55-pre-production-cars-exceeding-200-miles-range/

Sounds like they are really putting a good effort behind this. I love Tesla, but it looks like GM will beat them to market. If the Bolt EV really gets 200 miles, has a good quality build and a liquid-cooled battery like the Spark EV does, put me on the waiting list! This is the electric vehicle many of us have been waiting for.

This is going to be great!

Tesla Gen III, Leaf, Bolt. 2017 could be a great year for electric vehicles!

We are almost 100,000 units per year now, maybe 250,000 is the target for 2017?

I don't think we can order cupcakes and balloons yet.

“The Chevrolet Bolt EV’s chief engineer also added that these early test cars are already exceeding 200 miles of range.”
Under what conditions? Constant 25 mph in no wind situations? Or is this freeway driving? I don't think they're on public roads with the mules yet?

If the 200 miles of range is under anything close to real world range and the price is similar to what they announced then we might get one of these if the Tesla Model 3 isn't out when the lease on our current vehicle is up.

@klaus
"I don't think they're on public roads with the mules yet?"

These ARE on public roads. Just saw one in the atrium of the GM Powertrain HQ on Monday (July 22nd 2015). Tires showed heavy wear, mud on the sides, and a MI license plate on the back. Car was in full camo and had covers on the dash and portions of the front and rear seats. Great to see the progress that is being made on this vehicle and how quickly GM seems to be moving toward production.

Back