Radio turns on with start

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update:

Service Bulletin 17-NA-071 applied by my dealer last week did *not* solve this problem for my vehicle. Even though I make certain to turn the radio off before powering down my Bolt, the radio still turns itself on during roughly 2 out of 3-ish start ups.

I went in to my dealer today after Amber had my dealer call and set up an appointment. They claimed I had the most up to date software and did not update anything. My software version still claims to be 13.4.0 and AIUI it should be 14.1.0 if it is up to date. I suspect this was the first time my dealer has had a Bolt in for service since they at first didn't even know about or could not even find any Bolt service bulletin till I pointed them at posting about 17-NA-071 on this web site :-( Seems like Chevy still has a ways to go with dealer/service training, etc. Sadly, it sounds like it won't fix the turn-on problems anyway.

I have also showed the issue in the service center today.
We have confirmed that the same issues exists in another new car.
I.e. even if we select bluetooth, after the car stop/start it goes back to radio

stuartm said:
I went in to my dealer today after Amber had my dealer call and set up an appointment. They claimed I had the most up to date software and did not update anything. My software version still claims to be 13.4.0 and AIUI it should be 14.1.0 if it is up to date. I suspect this was the first time my dealer has had a Bolt in for service since they at first didn't even know about or could not even find any Bolt service bulletin till I pointed them at posting about 17-NA-071 on this web site :-( Seems like Chevy still has a ways to go with dealer/service training, etc. Sadly, it sounds like it won't fix the turn-on problems anyway.

Hi stuartm,

I did send you a follow up email within your open case, regarding this update and working to schedule you for a new appointment. If you could review that email at your earliest convenience, I would greatly appreciate it!

Warm Regards,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Hi Amber,

I read the forum about people complaining that the radio comes on automatically when the Bolt is started, even if the radio was off when the car had been turn off. I called the Infotainment department at 855-478-7767 as you suggested and I was told that the Bolt was designed this way. I'm shocked to hear this. Why would the designers presume that I want my radio to come on automatically when the car is started even though I had left the radio in the off position when I switched off the car? If there is a software fix for this "design bug" then I'd be grateful.

Thanks for any help.

I agree that having auto-radio-on is remarkably stupid, but if you turn it "off" by using the phone button on the steering wheel, it won't come on when you start the car.

Hi EldRick,

Thanks for the tip. That works. It's the mute. Also turning the volume all the way down seems to work.

Thanks for the tip. That works. It's the mute.
I'm no longer entirely sure exactly what the Phone button is supposed to do. The other day I had pressed the center button on the Volume, which is supposed to turn the audio Off. The next morning I started the car and pressed the Phone button on the wheel out of habit, and the radio started right up, as if it was an On/Off toggle. Curious.

My month old Bolt is doing the same thing! I've tried going into settings but it keeps turning on at start. So annoyed. :(

There are various scenarios where the sound turns on when it should not, with a source that was not explicitly selected. This is a design issue, not a user issue. It is extremely annoying, truly detracts from my enjoyment of the car. I want to know if Chevrolet is going to fix it.

It should never turn the sound on unless (1) we press power on the round button (what is called mute mode in the manual - come on that’s silly we want power off not mute) or (2) we select music on our USB connect smart phone (Carplay on iphone, or Android equivalent). Regardless of whether the car is turned off and on again.
Some scenarios where it does turn on the sound system (to the radio or XM - whatever the top favorites list item is):
(1) play music on Carplay, unplug the phone. Radio comes on (or XM - whatever the favorites top item is). I realize the sound was on, but I really didn’t ask to play the radio. Imagine someone like me that never ever does, but in general, I didn’t ask for that.
(2) play music on Carplay, press power button on radio, to turn sound off. Turn car off, unplug phone. Back in car later, power car on with no phone connected, radio comes on. Same reason as (1) but different user scenario
(3) playing music from bluetooth, turn off bluetooth (explicitly, phone power dies, connection issues ...). Radio comes on.
(4) Select a navigation route with carplay, now decide you don’t want to hear music in between. Seems like in this case, the power button could actually be regarded as a mute - of music only. So press that, sound goes off. But, next time a verbal guidance comes on (as I’d like), after that the sound system resume playing music. Sigh.

It's very simple: we didn't ask for that, don't make that decision for us. That is what really grates.

This design flaw should be fixed - it could actually sell less cars I think, it's that strong a disincentive because it happens time and again.
That said, I personally never ever actually want the radio, XM, or Onstar to play or even show up on the screen. I want Carplay, or if only bluetooth connects to my phone then whatever that offers, and time and temperature on the screen always, in the same spot, some of the bottom row like climate control, and any warnings as required. If you could provide only that, it would be far superior to just patching the above in my opinion. Not everyone would agree but some would. That's my vote for a "configurable display layout". The iPhone has all we need, better than any of the corresponding console features.

Disclaimer: I am a software and electronics engineer with 30 years experience. I'm not going to respond to a customer rep trying to help me learn to use the system, nor how to work around by faking the volume or channel selection out. The above is valid, please I want this logged as a valid defect for the design team to fix.

Based on the way Chevy and the dealer are responding to this query, maybe we're using the wrong language.

Of course the radio (head unit) turns on with start-- the touch screen display is integral to the operation of the car.

The problem might be more precisely described as the sound system UN-MUTES nearly every time the Bolt is started, even if the system was muted when the car was turned off.

I have not been able to assign any rhyme or reason to it, but OCCASIONALLY the sound in my Bolt STAYS MUTED when I start the car. It is exceptionally rare, but because of this random occurrence in which the system wakes up and remembers that it was muted, I have hope that somewhere buried deep within the software, there's a bug that someone can squash, given enough interest and pressure from us customers.

This is indeed very annoying, the last selected source should stay enabled at the same volume level, EVEN if that source is not available (for instance Bluetooth)

"This is indeed very annoying, the last selected source should stay enabled at the same volume level, EVEN if that source is not available (for instance Bluetooth)"

This. Absolutely.

Add me to this list of annoyed and frustrated customers. When I finally decided to search and see if I could find a solution to this, imagine my surprise to learn there *is* no solution…

I don't want the radio on when the car starts. Period.

And don't get me started on the infotainment system as a whole: Bluetooth drops constantly, gets stuck in voice activation mode (which also makes the air conditioner get stuck at lower power), etc., etc., but I won't hijack this thread with that...

Thanks, folks, for the workarounds - can't wait to try them tomorrow!

I am having this issue as well. It seems to be a bug in the entertainment system, I cannot imagine it being deliberately programmed to always turn on when starting the car.

I have found, I think, that if you bring the radio volume to zero and mute it using the button on the steering wheel, it doesn't seem to come on next time the car is started. If you don't turn the volume down, but only use the mute button, sometimes it works (radio doesn't play at startup) and sometimes it doesn't.

Jerry

SO much work to make this tolerable. Turning off from the steering wheel does *not* work. Changing the source to XM, channel 0 works, but what a pain.

I guess I'll try the turn-down-the-volume thing next.

What a headache.

timeToy said:
This is indeed very annoying, the last selected source should stay enabled at the same volume level, EVEN if that source is not available (for instance Bluetooth)

So totally agree with this. My 2012 Prius and 2016 Highlander Hybrid manage to stay on the last input, even if the source is not available at the time when the car is powered on. If I was listening to audio via Bluetooth, it waits for the Bluetooth device to become available again. Otherwise it stays silent.

Back