Location based charging radius

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 387

I set my "home" location for Location Based Charging to a work location where there are 18 different charging stations. I set it as close to the center of those stations as I could get, but don't know if will apply to some of the outer stations.

Does anyone know the actual radius of the Location Based Charging feature?

I will. I will have to charge at one of the farthest stations from where I set Home. They are often used so it may be a while.

In my experience it's about a 100 yard radius.

When you are on the charging screen it shows if you are at your home charger, or away, even if you are not plugged in. You can set the home location as the center of your cluster and then drive around to see where it changes to away.

The purpose of the home charge setting is to allow you to schedule your charging at home to happen when the rates are lowest. I'm guessing now, but when you charge at work I'll bet you want it to start immediately. Why do you want to flag that as a home location?

I have tested the "Home" radius at work. There are 18 EV spaces in a row. I set home in the middle one (well, number 9 from the left).

I have successfully "Home" charged at both of the end spaces now, without having to adjust the 12A setting (yes, they are all L1).

Each site is probably 8' wide, so 9 of them is 72' or so. The 100' radius is defiantly plausible.

I have noticed that using the parking locator that it isn't very accurate (large radius of resolution). I think maybe they are using a low power unit. I really don't have an issue with this.

The tin-foil hat wearing person in me wishes there was a manual switch for it though... :D

Back