Problems, Bugs, Weird Stuff, Glitches, Concerns Here

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sgt1372 said:
I had FM Station 0.0 pop up in my "favorites" list too. Just deleted it from the list and it went away.
That worked about a day, then it came back. Last I checked there were 4 instances of 0.0 in my favorites list... :x

Update, now there are what looks like 10 instances of 0.0. Hard to count as scrolling down just shows 0.0 for the whole way to the end of the list.

I cannot use the rear windshied wiper when the car is in Neutral.

Try yours. See if it is just mine.

Strange, but true.
Not a real "problem" just a wierd anomoly.

BoltEV17 said:
gpsman said:

This is a feature intended to prevent rear wiper damage while going through a car wash.

Is that written down somewhere? Or just a logical assumption? If every car does this, I'll go along with the assumption it was intentional. If it's just mine, I'm calling it a glitch.

The front wipers work in neutral.
Are the back ones particually more delicate?
I'm suspicious.

20 days and just 500 miles so mostly operator errors or adjustments to the new vehicle UI.

The only "glitch" is one night after disconnecting from public charging, and driving away, the main display was black and the driver dash display said "loading" for several minutes before the center display came back, seemingly it had hung during boot and did a watchdog reset boot after some timeout? Annoyance, but the car drove fine so a very minor issue, and it has only happened once in 50ish vehicle starts.

The Chevy UI that has evolved and is nearly perfect in the Malibu and the Equinox is different in the Bolt. I appreciate the much larger center display but basic phone functions are missing, if someone sends me a txt on my 2014 Malibu it would read me the txt and let me pick a canned response, like "call me I am driving" or "be there in 10 minutes". With the Bolt, I hear my phone ding when a txt arrives but I would need to look at the phone to see the txt.

Of course Android Auto is a simply amazing improvement and I will mostly plug the phone in and use it, so this is a very minor issue... (One of the best decisions GM made with the UI was to include Android Auto, this feature should be in every new car sold today IMHO)

Hats off to the team that pulled the Bolt design off, I assumed buying a leading edge technology vehicle that there would be minor issues, so far they are very minor and I am very pleased with the design and performance. The vehicle integration with the "My Chevrolet" app is fantastic and very useful, nicely done...

Three times, at random, the car says there is no key fob present while it was in my pocket. Had to put it at the bottom of the center console to start the car.

One time the center display would show Car a Play and nothing else. Had to reset it and that fixed it.

I have had my car now for about 28 days. I notice a slight but not always high pitch sound when I am in L gear coming to a stop with my foot gradually off the accelerator. I am wondering if this is normal and just the behavior of the car in this mode? When I am in normal drive and reverse there is no noise.

I Just updated the infotainment software to 14.1 to deal with glitches (parking camera staying on at highway speeds, infotainment going black, etc). Now when I open my chevy app, my mpe efficiency (lifetime and current) are way off. They both show in the 1.x mi/kWh, while I'm actually getting 3.x. looks like maybe 1's are taking the place of a 3, but I can't tell for certain. Frustrating for a guy who cares about his numbers...

I have a host of gremlins, some listed here and some I don't see. My Bolt is very early production November 2016. I keep my display set to night because I like the black background. The first indication was my display changed to the default daytime white. Then I started to notice many other glitches. I called OnStar and they just said to take it to the dealer to have it checked. Thanks to this Forum I now have the TSB for the software update. I do use both Apple CarPlay and android-auto.

Here is a list of what I can remember over the last few months:
  • Display setting and radio station change when I push the Cruise Control decel button (TSB)
    Loss of personalization settings (TSB)
    Front USB ports stopped working, no charge, no data; started working again later that day (not mentioned in TSB)
    Center console went dead, then came back later that day (TSB)
    Center console display working, but no audio, then came back the next day (TSB)
    Camera Icon remains gray at low speed (TSB)
    Key fob will lock and unlock doors, but not recognized for vehicle start. I had to place the fob in the console receiver pocket to start (not mentioned in TSB)
    Key fob functionality does not work in the MyChevy App (iOS) unless I am within Bluetooth range. I have to use the OnStar app to control the car from afar (probably an App issue, not a car issue)

I will take the car in for the firmware update, then report back.

samiam95124 said:
Same thing. Touch screen comes up totally black at times. No radio either.

Seems to self correct after about 5-10 minutes. I am hitting the power button several times during that, it may affect it.

Appears to be a bug.

I had that problem when I left a USB memory dongle inserted. Now I always remove before startup or before shutdown. never happened again.

I could not unlock the rear hatchback when another car door was open. (Driver's door in my case.)

Try it at home and let me know if yours behaves like this too.

Coop said:
I have had my car now for about 28 days. I notice a slight but not always high pitch sound when I am in L gear coming to a stop with my foot gradually off the accelerator. I am wondering if this is normal and just the behavior of the car in this mode? When I am in normal drive and reverse there is no noise.

You are hearing the Pedestrian Safety Signal - see page 105 of Bolt Owner's Manual:
"The vehicle is equipped with automatic sound generation. The automatic sound is generated to indicate the vehicle presence to
pedestrians. The sound changes if the vehicle is speeding up or slowing down. It is activated when the vehicle is shifted into
a forward gear or R (Reverse), up to 14 mph."

gpsman said:
BoltEV17 said:
gpsman said:

This is a feature intended to prevent rear wiper damage while going through a car wash.

Is that written down somewhere? Or just a logical assumption? If every car does this, I'll go along with the assumption it was intentional. If it's just mine, I'm calling it a glitch.

The front wipers work in neutral.
Are the back ones particually more delicate?
I'm suspicious.

I could not find where this was written, but I found this exact condition documented in the Chevrolet Spark Owner's Manual:
See http://www.chevspark.net/rear_window_wiper_washer-119.html

The Bolt Owner's Manual talks about "Car Wash Mode" and putting the car in neutral, but does not mention how this might affect
other things like the rear wiper. As mentioned before, it's a hidden feature...

gpsman said:
I could not unlock the rear hatchback when another car door was open. (Driver's door in my case.)

I could not reproduce this with my Bolt - tried many different things. One was left driver door open, locked doors with fob,
then was able to open Liftgate by pressing touch pad. Every time I was able to open Liftgate regardless of doors open or closed,
locks engaged or not...

New data.

I cannot unlock the rear hatch (from the outside) if the key fob is in the car. (Car is not on.)

cranial1963 said:
gpsman said:

I could not reproduce this with my Bolt - tried many different things. One was left driver door open, locked doors with fob,
then was able to open Liftgate by pressing touch pad. Every time I was able to open Liftgate regardless of doors open or closed,
locks engaged or not...

After 6 months of being just fine.... now every day my screens revert to the white background (Blue Sky) when I love full time black (Black Eclipse, or night setting).

I manually set it to full time black the second day I had the car. Now it keeps switching back.

Annoying as hell.

I never did an in dealer update.
But I wonder if something over the air happened, even though at launch date Chevy said they didn't do over the air updates.

gpsman said:
After 6 months of being just fine.... now every day my screens revert to the white background (Blue Sky) when I love full time black (Black Eclipse, or night setting).

I manually set it to full time black the second day I had the car. Now it keeps switching back.
Have you tried rebooting the infotainment system (press "Home" and "Fast Forward" for 10 seconds) and re-applying the settings?

Interesting concept.

Now that you mentioned it, a few days ago I did this.
My system froze up while driving (equally intolerable) and I had to do the forced reboot while driving. That day my screens stayed black. So I didn't associate the color change with that event. But every day since, my screen has been white.

Remember when a radio was just a radio and a navigator was just a navigator, and a phone was just a phone? I really F-ing HATE Windows operating systems and I beleive this car is running on a Windows CE based platform.

SeanNelson said:
Have you tried rebooting the infotainment system (press "Home" and "Fast Forward" for 10 seconds) and re-applying the settings?

Notice anything "wrong" with these images?

IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2261.JPG
IMG_2260.JPG

Three consecutive days of driving.

Interstingting tidbit:

1272.6 miles = 2048 km

Exactly 2kb of km. Coincidence???

Back