Another Bolt?

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oftheseven

We leased a Bolt LT in April because our eGolf with another year on the lease was a loss in an accident.
Now my Ford CMax Energi lease is up in August and I'm not sure what to get next.

Want to stay EV, if possible since I have solar panels. My current thinking:

1. Lease another Bolt but not sure it's the best thing to do and kinda boring, but like the range and think deals will continue to improve.
2. A Volt doesn't have the seating I need.
3. The 2018 eGolf looks promising but won't be out for a while. We liked our eGolf but need more range.
4. LEAF, not here yet and assume lease rates won't be that great this fall.
5. The Hyundai IONIQ range is on the low side but available now and I can benefit from the 'unlimited mileage' aspect of the lease.
6. My friend has two M3 reservations...not sure what we'd have to do to get into one of those.

Thoughts?

If you dig your Bolt, and feel the lease payment is fair, why re-invent the wheel? Since you've mentioned range a few times, and want to stay with an EV, you're not going to find another "affordable" 200 mile electric before your lease is up in August.

If you like the Bolt, if fits your needs and if you need another EV now, then just get another.

Boring or not, it's really the only game in town right now for a "long range" affordable EV and deals for it are much better than they were just 6 months ago.

Seeing as 1) you are talking about a Lease (no long-term commitment) and 2) you will need it on August, the Bolt is really your best bet.

The 2018 Leaf won't be available until much later, probably this winter (Dec-Feb timeframe). The 2018 eGolf may actually be available before the Leaf, and you already pointed out that it's too far away.

The Model 3 is a no-go for you. If you reserve one now, you *might* get it by the end of 2018. It might be 2019. No joke - they have half a million reservations in line ahead of you.

If you don't mind burning a little gas, you could consider another CMax Energi. Ford might offer you a good deal on a 2-year lease which would bridge you to any of the other above-mentioned long range EVs. Of course, so would a 2-year lease in a Bolt.

Edit - I re-read your post, and maybe you were talking about buying one of your friend's two reservations? Even with that, unless he works for Tesla or SpaceX in California, an August delivery is highly unlikely

It might be worth taking a look at the used EV market. Used LEAFs can be had for around $10,000 if the range works for you. You might also find a lease on a current gen LEAF with the 30 kWh battery if you need a true 100-mile EV.

The Tesla Model 3 won't be available in any significant quantities until much later this year, so unless your friend has a very early reservation you may wait until well into 2018 for the new Tesla.

Also, Tesla is ramping up to make FIVE TIMES as many cars in 2018 as in 2017.

The very early reviews of the Model 3, based on short drives in one of the 30 cars (!) built so far are all positive, but I would be very skeptical of getting into a Model 3 until Tesla generates volume deliveries.

I'm a big fan of Tesla and Musk, but by his own admission the company will be in "manufacturing hell" for the rest of 2017, doesn't sound like he expects the ramp-up to 50,000 cars a month to go smoothly. For now, the Bolt is the only realistic 200+ mile range option.

oftheseven said:
6. My friend has two M3 reservations...not sure what we'd have to do to get into one of those.

Thoughts?
Reservations are not transferable, so he (or she) would have to purchase the car and then sell it to you (Employees getting priority deliveries are prohibited from reselling above MSRP).

It would then be a used vehicle and you would not be able to claim the Federal Tax Credit. If they have enough income to claim $15K, it could be "passed on" to you in the purchase price.

You would also not likely be eligible for any State or Utility credits/rebates.

Plus the first few months of M3's are going to be in the $50K+ range (long range battery + premium interior = $49K). You can add to that wheels, color, autopilot options to push it close to $60K.

Thanks for everyone's input. Another Bolt is looking like a good option.
I'm going to try and hold out until Labor Day for some good deals!

DucRider said:
oftheseven said:

Thoughts?
Reservations are not transferable, so he (or she) would have to purchase the car and then sell it to you (Employees getting priority deliveries are prohibited from reselling above MSRP).

It would then be a used vehicle and you would not be able to claim the Federal Tax Credit. If they have enough income to claim $15K, it could be "passed on" to you in the purchase price.

You would also not likely be eligible for any State or Utility credits/rebates.

Plus the first few months of M3's are going to be in the $50K+ range (long range battery + premium interior = $49K). You can add to that wheels, color, autopilot options to push it close to $60K.

Yes, plus I also believe that the employee buyers are prohibited from "flipping" the cars for a quick sale/profit. Not sure how long Tesla would want prevent a resale but it is certainly something they could include in the purchase contract.

And, it's clear that the M3 is not going to sell very often as a base model $35k car just as the Bolt doesn't often sell at it's base price of $37.5k.

While the Bolt LT can be had w/necessary and useful options for just under $40k, it looks like most people will want options that push the price of the M3 up to $50-55k, which is a BIG difference in price to most people.

Frankly, I'm glad and relieved that canceled my reservation and leased the Bolt instead.

The only thing I really like about the M3 is the 130mph top speed but I need another sedan (especially a black one if I have to pay more for other colors) and I really dislike the grill/detail less front end. Other things bother me about the car too.

So, I'll be happy to wait to see how the car shakes out in 2-3 years before deciding what EV to replace my Bolt with. Could be another Bolt or any one of the many EVs expected to come to market in the interim.

sgt1372 said:
And, it's clear that the M3 is not going to sell very often as a base model $35k car just as the Bolt doesn't often sell at it's base price of $37.5k.
That kind of cuts both ways for the Bolt. Yes, a lot of people add options. But a lot of dealers also discount.

At least they do in the privileged few areas where there's plenty of supply. We poor Canadians can't get our hands on Bolts for love nor money, so the concept of discounts is (as was said of the Holy Hand Grenade) "right out".

Back