DC Fast Charge

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I live in Michigan. I am VERY upset that the car built in Michigan is not available here, for the record. I've been trying to buy this car for 7 months now, so not too happy.

I am talking to a dealership in NY. The salesman and I cannot seem to understand each other and not agree on what a DC Fast Charge option is. I want a car with that option. The salesman says "yes, every car comes with that capability." I don't think he is correct. If I'm paying $700 for this option, why is it on every car?!

I do not want to drive 500 miles and put a $2000 non-refundable deposit on this car unless I know for sure that it has what I want!!

I want my car to have the ability to receive a fast charge. The car salesman seems to think the Fast Charge is something I need to install on the wall of my garage. Can you help? Would you be willing to talk to the salesman? I am quite desperate! As I mentioned, I've been trying to buy this car for SEVEN MONTHS!!!!!!

The salesman is talking about a "Level 2 charging station" not, as you have realized, DCFC. Make sure that you see an invoice for the actual car you want to buy, and that it lists the optional DCFC port. It can be hard to decide if a given salescreature is stupid or evil, but I'd avoid dealing with either.

Darla said:
I live in Michigan. I am VERY upset that the car built in Michigan is not available here, for the record. I've been trying to buy this car for 7 months now, so not too happy.

I am talking to a dealership in NY. The salesman and I cannot seem to understand each other and not agree on what a DC Fast Charge option is. I want a car with that option. The salesman says "yes, every car comes with that capability." I don't think he is correct. If I'm paying $700 for this option, why is it on every car?!

I do not want to drive 500 miles and put a $2000 non-refundable deposit on this car unless I know for sure that it has what I want!!

I want my car to have the ability to receive a fast charge. The car salesman seems to think the Fast Charge is something I need to install on the wall of my garage. Can you help? Would you be willing to talk to the salesman? I am quite desperate! As I mentioned, I've been trying to buy this car for SEVEN MONTHS!!!!!!

This is what you want to make sure is clearly specified in any contract you plan to sign - info from the Chevy Bolt website. DC Fast Charging should appear on the window sticker as an option.

DC FAST CHARGING
ABOUT 90 MILES IN AROUND 30 MINUTES OF CHARGE TIME
Bolt EV offers DC Fast Charging capability
Provides up to 90 miles of range in about 30 minutes of charge time
DC Fast Charging stations are available for public use

It is not a standard option on every Bolt as some have found out the hard way. I would find a different dealer.

Notice in the photo below there are two more charging ports below the circular charging port and that these two charging ports are covered by a pink cover when not in use! Be sure YOUR Bolt EV looks exactly like this!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 2.39.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 2.39.56 PM.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 8,491
According to a post on this forum in response to one of mine, they said that GM advanced their delivery dates so that, as of August 1st, the Bolt EV should be available in all 50 states.

Check again with your Michigan dealers.

Darla said:
The salesman says "yes, every car comes with that capability." I don't think he is correct. If I'm paying $700 for this option, why is it on every car?!
He may be talking about the policy of his dealership to only order cars that come with the DCFC option. Therefore, "every car" his dealership sells comes with the option, even if it is an "option".

To be sure, have him verify that the charging port has the orange cover on the bottom half that protects the DCFC terminals.

SeanNelson said:
To be sure, have him verify that the charging port has the orange cover on the bottom half that protects the DCFC terminals.
My Bolt EV is orange; the DCFC port cover is pink!

Attachments

• IMG_5285.JPG
    IMG_5285.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 8,352
This is why many people (including myself) advocate to make the DCFC port standard. With the time, labor, and material to design, build, certify, and install two different ports, it would probably end up being cheaper for GM to simply put the same port on every car. There's no way two cables and a terminal cost more than $200, especially not in volume and not at 10 feet of cable per car.

Mitsubishi was able to drop the price of the i-MiEV almost $7,000 in 2014 by eliminating all factory options except color (among those was the CHAdeMO port option which became standard from 2014 on). Owners have discovered that the difference between cars that had the port and those that didn't include different firmware, different battery pack cases, and possibly different HVAC ductwork (air-cooled/heated battery, dependent on presence of cold weather or quick charge packages). Skimping on hardware for certain cars ended up having more overhead cost than simply making the option standard equipment.

Anyway, that salesman could be talking about dealer policy to order Bolts with DCFC by default, or he could be confused or told incorrect information. If it's a car on the lot, get a picture of the window sticker (or the charge port itself). Bolts that have it will have the orange/pink cover on the bottom part of the port. Cars without have a black blank below the circular port in the oval.

PV1 said:
This is why many people (including myself) advocate to make the DCFC port standard.
If GM can get the cost of a standard DCFC port low enough on the 2018 to keep the "basic" car at $37,495, so that it can be marketed at "$29,995 after federal tax credit" it will be standard!

Back