Clicking Noise From Steering

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iletric

I got an urgent appointment to address it. Car is in the shop right now. We'll see what transpires. At first I thought it was the suspension, then I turned the wheel back and forth at the stop, and it became apparent what it was.

We'll keep you posted. I recommend you yank your steering wheel left-right while stopped to see if you have a similar issue. If so, we may have a new systemic problem on our hands.

Update: just received. One noise source has been located, a second one discovered is being referred to the HQ... The plot thickens... So far no promise of a loaner.

The steering wheel problem was fixed. Notice the mechanic added the thread lock so the problem won't recurr. I don't know about this...

The expert to fix the 2nd problem, the noise that emanates from the rear axle area will be arriving "sometime this week." The car is driveable according the the dealer, so I took possession of it at this time.

Again, I'll keep you all posted. Meanwhile, turn your steering wheel left and right and watch for clicking. I expect I am not the only one with this problem.

Did you get this resolved? I seem to have similar issues and it'd be great to know what's up going in :D

I had the same problem. I brought it to dealership today, and they diagnosed the problem as "Loose Lower Steering Shaft Bolt" and fixed it in less than an hour. Fix was "torqued the bolt to specs". No charge since Bolt EV is still under warranty. Steering is back to smooth as butter.

iletric said:
The steering wheel problem was fixed. Notice the mechanic added the thread lock so the problem won't recurr. I don't know about this...

Can you re-post the photo outside of PhotoBucket please? I'd love to see what you're talking about.

Thanks!

The above is a copy of the work order that describes in tech terms what the mechanic did. It seems the GM manufacturing line has a screw torque/install issue they need to resolve. I'm sure there are hundreds of clicking Bolts out there. I'd even suggest a recall and get all early Bolts torqued up.

My Bolt just today starting having this noise today! It has 16k miles and I've had it for 10 months. I'll have the dealership check it out when I have my 2nd tire rotation. If the fix is easy (torque), can someone post the picture of where tighten the bolts and what the torque setting should be?

Thanks,
Paul

There is some info in the "other" Bolt forum here: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/178-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-issues-problems/10658-rattle-loose-feeling-steering.html

Mine is going in for the same issue on Friday. I plan to print out some of the service reports referenced over there and attach it to my service request when I drop it off.

Dan

The dealer came back and said the bolts where torqued correctly, but the issue was in fact the rack and pinion. Wasn't expecting that, but a new rack will be in on Monday and should be repaired the same day. Will keep you updated.

Update: My dealer called me today and let me know the work was done - on a Saturday no less. The Bolt Tech came into work and finished my car over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised. The car drives like new now.

My Bolt is in the shop today, Tuesday March 13th. Seems that my problem is NOT the issue of improper torque on the steering shaft bolts. The part required is the F-Bar (PN: 42592104). Replacing requires major surgery to the dash. The dealership is keeping my Bolt for the week while they remove the dash and replace these parts. They say it might be ready by Friday.

When I asked the service manager about the replacement it seems like welds for the aluminum F-Bar might not have been done correctly on some of the early Bolts (my VIN ends in 128602 built in Nov 2016). Below you can see the part. The the dash structure is held together by the F-Bar. The service manager circled the part on the first picture. I hope they don't damage anything else while the do brain surgery on my Bolt!

F-BAR metal structure circled:
Bolt_F-Bar_42592104.JPG

*** UPDATE: 3/14/2018 ***
It's Pi-day (3.1415...). I got a call today saying my Bolt was ready for pickup. Amazing, only two days in the shop. The previous service manager was out and my new service manager didn't know exactly why the F-bar needed to be replaced. Bad welds?.. "I don't know." Bad part? "Not sure"... Maybe the service report (below) will have some clues.

First off here's a few pictures during disassembly:
IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

Here's a picture of the OLD part after it was removed from the car (not much to see):
2018-03-14_F-Bar_OLD.jpg

Now here's the service report. Pay attention to the highlighted yellow parts. I'm not sure what the technician means by "ORIGINATE AT MOTOR".. What "motor" is he talking about. TAC told him to replace the "TIE BAR" but again, I'm not sure where the tie bar is located.
2018-03-14_Bolt_Service_Report.JPG

One thing I should note is two weeks after the original appointment to diagnose the noise, I returned to the service department once the replacement parts had arrived, and the clicking noise was almost gone. I mean I could barely hear it. So if you even remotely hear a clicking noise when you turn your steering wheel, I would take it directly into the dealership.

Based on what I could tell from how quickly GM wanted to replace this part, they've seen it before and probably more than once before. Who knows if it's a safety thing or is only limited to a small number of Bolts. Chime in if you've had this issue or know of other bolts with this Clicking issue.

So there you have it. My Bolt is back in one piece and seems to be in working order. PLEASE post if you that have seen similar.

BTW: My Bolt is a November 2016 build.

-Paul

Just had the "F support" replaced on my 02/18 build Bolt. Same issue as described, and it was driving me nuts! Thankfully, this post made it easy to diagnose for the tech.

I had my rack & pinion parts replaced today. Steering column would rattle when going over pot holes or washboard road. Also developed a tiny amount of “play”.

Interestingly they had to drain and refill one of the coolent reserviors in the process (it didn’t say which). Then they had to re-teach the steering control module the “soft stops”. Also looks like I got a free front-end alignment out of the process as well.

Replace: F-(S) Gear (1)
Replace: Bolts (4)
Replace: Coolent (1)

We've been having a similar problem on our Bolt. knocking sound whenever we turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. Leased in October, 2017. 30k mile. Taking it in this week. Local dealer was unaware of such a symptom, but it seems that quite a few people have reported a similar issue on multiple boards.

Some folks have discovered that clicking sounds or "bumps" that you feel while turning the steering wheel are the result of the U-joints in the steering shaft in front of the brake and accelerator pedals bumping into your carpeting or floor mats. Simple and easy to check without having to bother with a trip to the dealer, so it's worth having a look.

I took to our local dealer on 8/22. Diagnosed by removing shaft and noise was not present in column. Noise traced to the inside of the steering gear. Replaced steering gear assembly and noise not present. Covered under warranty.

I have a clicking noise from behind the instrument cluster. It happens when I am not even in the car! Sometimes I walk to the car from a distance without the key and hear the clicking! If I get into the car (with the key) and tap the break pedal, the clicking stops. Take my foot off again and it starts again. It usually lasts about 45 seconds. In the past few days I have heard it while stopped at lights, which is new. And over the weekend, the car completely died because the 12V was completely exhausted. It took more than 3 hours of being jumpered to an ICE card to get it to the point where it would shift out of park or charge when connected to the L2 charger.

Car is going back to the dealer tomorrow, where it has spent about 10% if its life so far. Very disappointed with the reliability of this car and may sell it rather than risk more of this after the warranty expires in December.

It might be just replacing the battery will fix the clicking noise and keep your car more reliable. Batteries typically last anywhere from 2 to 8 years. If you’re in a hot climate they usually last a little shorter.

The clicking noise I had was in the steering column and only while you were turning the steering wheel. Your issue sounds very different than mine.

Paul6381 said:
It might be just replacing the battery will fix the clicking noise and keep your car more reliable. Batteries typically last anywhere from 2 to 8 years. If you’re in a hot climate they usually last a little shorter.

The clicking noise I had was in the steering column and only while you were turning the steering wheel. Your issue sounds very different than mine.

The clicking issue for him could also be arising out of the inner rod connecting steering with the axle set up. That was the issue detected for me couple of months back.

Back