Almost hit this morning... collision avoided.

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan2112

Anybody familiar with Bay Area driving will know there are some crazy drivers out there and this morning I encountered one. Here is the story.

I am driving in the left lane on an expressway with stop and go morning traffic coming up to a major intersection with very long left hand turn lanes marked with wide solid white lines. Well an impatient driver (Amazon delivery driver) decided he didn't want to wait for the left hand turn signal anymore and jumped in front of me (crossing the solid white line) into my lane. I was traveling around 20 mph (stop and go morning commute) and before I knew what happened the van was right in front of me. I laid on the horn, the car detected the obstacle and started beeping at me and I started to brake hard. I came within 2 inches of T-Boning the VAN.

For those who drive in "D" all the time and you are in traffic please consider this advise - learn to drive in L. I firmly believe this helped avoid a collision by getting some additional breaking time since the moment I lifted the accelerator the car was in "max regen" mode which slowed the car. I don't know if the collision avoidance system actually engaged (it did go off) because it happened so fast, but I would like think the stars aligned to keep the car out of harms way.

After all that - the driver "waved" and mouthed the word "sorry" and then pulled away as if nothing happened.

dan2112 said:
Anybody familiar with Bay Area driving will know there are some crazy drivers out there and this morning I encountered one. Here is the story.

I am driving in the left lane on an expressway with stop and go morning traffic coming up to a major intersection with very long left hand turn lanes marked with wide solid white lines. Well an impatient driver (Amazon delivery driver) decided he didn't want to wait for the left hand turn signal anymore and jumped in front of me (crossing the solid white line) into my lane. I was traveling around 20 mph (stop and go morning commute) and before I knew what happened the van was right in front of me. I laid on the horn, the car detected the obstacle and started beeping at me and I started to brake hard. I came within 2 inches of T-Boning the VAN.

For those who drive in "D" all the time and you are in traffic please consider this advise - learn to drive in L. I firmly believe this helped avoid a collision by getting some additional breaking time since the moment I lifted the accelerator the car was in "max regen" mode which slowed the car. I don't know if the collision avoidance system actually engaged (it did go off) because it happened so fast, but I would like think the stars aligned to keep the car out of harms way.

After all that - the driver "waved" and mouthed the word "sorry" and then pulled away as if nothing happened.

Speaking of Regen I would like to disable the paddle and get full regen all the time and not have to try to find the paddle when I am trying to slow down fast.

At least the delivery driver did not give you the one finger salute!

ghn said:
Speaking of Regen I would like to disable the paddle and get full regen all the time and not have to try to find the paddle when I am trying to slow down fast.

Isn't that what "L" mode is - I think you would get even "more cowbell" by hitting the paddles in L mode, but I have not tried it. I always drive in L and find it pretty aggressive with a "full-lift" off the accelerator.

And yeah I gave him the the "WTF" look and went to work and changed my shorts.

The brake uses the full regen of the paddle. Feel free to use the foot pedal up to 2/3rds of the way to use only that regen braking.

It has been noted in a few other places on this forum as well.

gbobman said:
The brake uses the full regen of the paddle. Feel free to use the foot pedal up to 2/3rds of the way to use only that regen braking.

It has been noted in a few other places on this forum as well.
And in the above situation, getting full regen is waaaaay down on the list of what's important. In an emergency stop, the brake pedal will stop you quicker than regen alone. Saving .01 kWh and hitting something is false economy - even if it is someone else's fault.

DucRider said:
And in the above situation, getting full regen is waaaaay down on the list of what's important. In an emergency stop, the brake pedal will stop you quicker than regen alone. Saving .01 kWh and hitting something is false economy - even if it is someone else's fault.

I think you're missing dan's point. Sure, you'd use the brake pedal, but the regenerative braking kicks in sooner than you are physically able to move your foot over from the accelerator to the brake and slam it down. You do get a little early slowing, and I agree with dan that it makes the car a little bit safer. It was one of the first things I noticed, and appreciated, about one-pedal driving.

phil0909 said:
I think you're missing dan's point. Sure, you'd use the brake pedal, but the regenerative braking kicks in sooner than you are physically able to move your foot over from the accelerator to the brake and slam it down. You do get a little early slowing, and I agree with dan that it makes the car a little bit safer. It was one of the first things I noticed, and appreciated, about one-pedal driving.

Yes - that was exactly my point. The difference between lifting off the accelerator and mashing the brake in L mode is what I think helped make the car stop just that little bit quicker and in an emergency stop situation every millisecond counts.

dan2112 said:
phil0909 said:

Yes - that was exactly my point. The difference between lifting off the accelerator and mashing the brake in L mode is what I think helped make the car stop just that little bit quicker and in an emergency stop situation every millisecond counts.
I was referring to this:
use the foot pedal up to 2/3rds of the way to use only that regen braking

I always drive the Fit EV in "L" and Sport mode. Unlike most EV's, Sport, Normal and Econ modes have different HP available (123/100/63) and don't just change the throttle mapping. Not only do you sometimes need to stop quickly, sometimes acceleration is the best solution. Maybe that's a habit from several decades of motorcycling.

"L" is roughly equivalent in the Fit and the Bolt, and I agree that the instant slowing is a benefit and could be the difference between collision or near miss.

dan2112 said:
ghn said:

Isn't that what "L" mode is - I think you would get even "more cowbell" by hitting the paddles in L mode, but I have not tried it. I always drive in L and find it pretty aggressive with a "full-lift" off the accelerator.

And yeah I gave him the the "WTF" look and went to work and changed my shorts.

Yeah I should have mentioned that I always drive in L mode. I would prefer that L mode use full regen when letting off of the accelerator, I do use the paddle to slow faster at times and I would rather not have to deal with it. I suppose that I might be in the minority on that one...

Sheesh, there's no pleasing anyone. In another thread we have someone whining that D mode has too much regen, and here that L mode doesn't have enough.

L mode is not meant to slam on your brakes on the moment you lift your foot from the accelerator. Otherwise you'll end up getting rear ended constantly. Need more regen in L use? Use the paddle and/or that wide pedal on the left.

devbolt said:
Sheesh, there's no pleasing anyone. In another thread we have someone whining that D mode has too much regen, and here that L mode doesn't have enough.

L mode is not meant to slam on your brakes on the moment you lift your foot from the accelerator. Otherwise you'll end up getting rear ended constantly. Need more regen in L use? Use the paddle and/or that wide pedal on the left.

Yeah I know, did not intend to whine. I would say that there is no pleasing everyone. I drive 100 miles a day in a lot of different situations from country mountain roads to 101 north in rush hour and I have found that I really want full regen all the time. Like I said I am probably in the minority. LOL sometimes I hit the radio channel changer when I want regen or vice versa which is rather annoying...

ghn said:
I really want full regen all the time. Like I said I am probably in the minority.

I don't know whether we're in the minority or the majority, but my preference is the same as yours. I'd rather just use my foot, and not need to fiddle with the paddle. Simpler is usually better. I suppose GM could offer it both ways if they were a little more ambitious - the paddle could be made configurable in software.

ghn said:
devbolt said:

Yeah I know, did not intend to whine. I would say that there is no pleasing everyone. I drive 100 miles a day in a lot of different situations from country mountain roads to 101 north in rush hour and I have found that I really want full regen all the time. Like I said I am probably in the minority. LOL sometimes I hit the radio channel changer when I want regen or vice versa which is rather annoying...

I wasn't criticizing you. Or calling you out for whining. I was just amused by the range of opinions. I drive in L mode pretty much exclusively and do like the extra regen and braking response it gives, especially in an emergency situation. I know 101 in Silicon Valley all too well...

ghn said:

I've considered cutting 3M VHB double stick tape (or a few layers of same to get the proper thickness) and putting it between the regen paddle and the wheel, then pulling back the paddle into the tape and effectively securing it in the on position.

If you do it use a little rubbing alcohol on a Qtip to clean the surfaces before installing the tape. You could remove it later with a small tool and then remove the adhesive residue with Qtips with WD40, followed by rubbing alcohol to remove the WD40.

Back