Sorry to beat dead horse but..recommendations for upping mileage

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeanNelson said:
PV1 said:
Running behind a semi isn't really worth it. Besides damaging the car's paint/windshield, they're too square to cleanly pull air unless you're dangerously close.
The benefit of following a semi is that you can go slower without unnecessarily impeding traffic. They need to go around the semi anyway, so going around you as well isn't really much of an added obstacle. And they'll mentally blame the semi instead of you for the slow speed.

You don't need to be terribly close to the semi to get that benefit. I've followed semis at decent distances all over the country and haven't had any rock impact issues.
I agree with Sean 100% on the foregoing quoted statement!

If you are looking to increase your distance between charges (for example to make it to another charger that is more than 220 miles away), driving in the right lane in "L" behind a semi using cruise control is a great way to do it!

This is especially true in California where their speed limit is 55 MPH and they will typically drive a consistent 60 MPH!

the Honda Insight had an EPA rating of 60 mpg
With careful "hypermiling" techniques we were consistently getting 80-100 mpg
There are people with a lifetime average mpg on the 95 mpg range
The Bolt responds to the same techniques by giving amazing range
As mentioned it all gets down to driver technique
If you like driving fast and agressively AC on
Your never going to get great mi/ kWh
If you take your time drive back roads when possibly at 45 mph you will be rewarded with way better range than the rated 238
On a hilltop charge (85% SOC)
I did a 180 mile round trip the other day on a 45 mph hilly New England secondary road and had 95 miles of range left
I charged fully and had a range prediction of 305 miles
5.3 mi / kWh
Since then using the same techniques I am driving around with 6.4mi/ kWh
60kwh x 6.4miles/ kWh yields 384 miles
Pretty amazing and it just ment driving slower, anticipating stop lights , slower acceleration,
And other well known techniques.
Google hypermiling
On the dark side the car has fantastic acceleration
So it is much safer than the under powered Honda Insight of Toyota Prius
Best car I have ever owned
Mike

Back