Hello from ChargePoint!

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SparkE said:
ChargePoint? Can you comment on the two issues I mentioned on Tuesday?

ChargePoint said:
We’re here to be a resource to everyone looking for advice, informed opinions, information about EV charging and all the new and exciting things happening in this space.

Looking forward to joining the conversation and can’t wait to meet you all!

- Team ChargePoint

Memo to "Team" ChargePoint: We're looking forward to you joining the conversation too.

SparkE said:
I would like to hear from ChargePoint about :

1- Can you tell us when & where the first few "Express Plus" DCFC chargers will be installed ? (For forum members, that is ChargePoint's latest DCFC offering, which is modular and is supposed to be able to *allow* charging at over 150 kW per port - depending on how it was configured).

2- Can you tell us when ChargePoint will start installing the CEC-financed intercity DCFC stations in California? (The award was announced last year, ChargePoint is getting a little over $3.5 million to pay for installation of their portion). I haven't been able to find ANY news about this for the past 6 months.

Links for (2) :
- map of proposed CEC stations :
https://www.google.com/search?q=CEC+bids+fast+charging&oq=CEC+bids+fast+charging+&aqs=chrome..69i57.5995j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

- article discussing the award from the CEC (there are many articles, this is just one) :
http://insideevs.com/california-awards-8-9-million-for-completion-of-fast-charge-corridor/

Hi!

Your Google skills have not deceived you - we just haven't released any new updates yet. :)

At CES we announced ChargePoint Express Plus stations (which can deliver up to 400 kW). We're excited and prepared for cars that will be coming out with fast charging speeds in the near future! You can find more on that announcement here
http://bit.ly/chargepointExpressPlus. This press release has the most recent information that we've shared publicly.

Regarding the CEC grant, we have information here http://bit.ly/chargepoint-cec, and the 2018 completion date stated there is the timeline you can expect.

We'll share more information as soon as we can! Though, at this stage the best way to keep up to date on both of your Q's is to either subscribe to our blog, follow us on Facebook, or check our press news regularly, here http://www.chargepoint.com/about/news/

oilerlord said:
ChargePoint said:
We’re here to be a resource to everyone looking for advice, informed opinions, information about EV charging and all the new and exciting things happening in this space.

- Team ChargePoint

As all ChargePoint stations are "host owned", do you see businesses setting them up more as a business opportunity on the charging side, or to attract customers to their main businesses, or because they are being good corporate citizens concerned about the environment? The easy answer is of course "all of the above" - but I'm more interested in hearing about pre-sales inquiries you're getting from businesses and understanding the host's motivation for purchasing, and installing your products.

I'm also interested in the ROI for the product (if there is one) in terms of the product paying for itself as a stand-alone profit center. If you could run through the business case, and provide supporting numbers, I'd appreciate it.

It’s definitely a mix depending on the industry but the majority of hosts use it as a way to attract EV drivers to their businesses. Just as some businesses don't profit from offering free parking to customers, most of our hosts don't aim to make a profit on the charging directly which is why they offer so much charging for free or at their cost. We offer pricing as a tool to keep stations available for as many drivers as possible. Charging as a business makes the most sense for fast charging hubs along major roadways that can attract and serve as many drivers as possible. The ability to profit from charging depends on how many drivers you can serve.

I'm checking in with the team on your 2nd question to see if there is any info we're able to share publicly, with you here!

scooter123 said:
Is there a chargpoint coupon to get us started?

We'll be sharing something special next week, prior to the kick-off of National Drive Electric Week! When we do I'll be sure you tag you so you don't miss it!

Thank you for your answer. It sounds like "no we cannot comment at this time" (which is a 100% valid response, and I have no complaint about it).

I, personally, would really, really, REALLY like to hear answers to the two questions, so *when* it is possible to publicly comment on either of them, *please* post on this forum and let us know.

Thank you!

Oh, PS (well, an aside, I suppose) :

the press release about the DCFC stations said : "With over 542,000 EVs already on the road in North America and more than 235,000 registered in California,". I was rather shocked. Almost HALF of the EVs in all of North America are in the state of California?!!!? I knew I was rather spoiled (an EV driver in a charge-station- and DCFC- rich environment) but I had no idea that over 40% of the EVs in north America were in my state! Some things are starting to make more sense now ...

SparkE said:
...I had no idea that over 40% of the EVs in north America were in my state! Some things are starting to make more sense now ...
Yeah, and you guys get dealers actually discounting Bolts when the rest of us (a) have to pay full price, (b) can't take test drives because nobody has a demonstrator, and (c) can't buy one anyway because there's an 8-month waiting list (at least up here in Canada).

Enjoy the promised land. I hope the rest of us catch up someday...

SparkE said:
Thank you for your answer. It sounds like "no we cannot comment at this time" (which is a 100% valid response, and I have no complaint about it).

I, personally, would really, really, REALLY like to hear answers to the two questions, so *when* it is possible to publicly comment on either of them, *please* post on this forum and let us know.

Thank you!

You got it!

scooter123 said:
Is there a chargpoint coupon to get us started?

As promised, in anticipation for NDEW we're offering drivers charging credit with a free ChargePoint account: http://bit.ly/2vWN1Dd
and a discount on ChargePoint Home: http://bit.ly/2xHFkTm

oilerlord said:
I'm also interested in the ROI for the product (if there is one) in terms of the product paying for itself as a stand-alone profit center. If you could run through the business case, and provide supporting numbers, I'd appreciate it.

I'm back with a page for you! You can read through our customer stories to learn more about how some of our hosts are measuring ROI for their chargers: http://www.chargepoint.com/businesses/customer-stories/ I hope this helps!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
This story is one of the best:

https://www.chargepoint.com/files/casestudies/cs-express.pdf

Payback in 3 years and $1,000/month in revenue on average.

I can get behind the green and customer service angles...offering the chargers to attract revenue to your core business, as a great benefit for your employees, and my business being the good corporate citizen. However, In terms of ROI, we can be sure there is a lot more moving parts to this particular deal we aren't privy to.

The case study mentions:

"In the 1.5 years since being connected to the ChargePoint network, the fast charger
has delivered over 2,900 charge sessions for a total electrical output of 18.6 MWh.
In doing this, it has generated more than $10,000 in revenue while adding only
$2,100 to the Marriot’s electric bill (based on the national average of $0.12/kWh)."

So we know there are several stakeholders: ChargePoint, Fuji Electric, EVoasis, and Marriot. While the station may indeed have generated $10K in revenue over 1.5 years, I'd be interested in how this deal came together, what incentives and/or subsidies were offered, and how the revenue (and expenses including others not listed) are distributed. It looks like the deal happened sometime in 2013 as projections were forecasted into 2015. Worst case, let's assume no growth. If 1.5 years yielded $10K in revenue and $2.1K in expenses, let's assume 3-years suggests a net income of $15,800. I have a tough time believing that a turnkey installation of a 25 kW DC charging station, in 2013, had an (implied) net cost under $16,000. What parts of this deal were subsidized, and by who? To me, it doesn't add up - again, because we aren't privy to the deal.

While the potential for a 3-year ROI makes for a great press release, based on the other case studies I'm skeptical. Did those rosy projections come to fruition? I'd like to see the historical numbers.

A prudent assessment, more specifics would be enlightening.
Maintenance isn't mentioned.
$0.12/kWh? For supply perhaps, but doesn't include distribution and other fees.
If you're seriously interested in an installation, you'd want hard numbers.
Are you so inclined?
I suppose ChargePoint will respond, "call us", sales reps await you.
ChargePoint? What say you?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
If you're seriously interested in an installation, you'd want hard numbers.
Are you so inclined?

I'm interested, but more about understanding how the business model works, and if there actually are DC fast charging stations that pay for themselves from charging revenue alone. For me, I live in a province with over 4 million people, but with only a handful of EVs on our roads. This is Ford F-150 country. I'm quite certain my B250e is the only one in Alberta. I've never seen a Bolt on the road. Our municipal government kicks around the idea of installing a few L2 charging sites every now & then, but no mention is ever made of L3. One of our city Councillors is 100% opposed to having the city pay for "free fuel" for EV owners, maintaining that it's unfair to everyone else. It's an opinion that the majority seems to agree with because none ever seem to get installed. Small thinking. I plugged in at Ikea a couple of months ago, and someone came up to me, and angrily asked me "where's MY free fuel"? I have no doubt that like minded individuals purposely park in those EV parking spots to block guys like me from getting an "unfair" advantage. Attitudes need to change, but clearly it's not going to happen overnight.

oilerlord said:
One of our city Councillors is 100% opposed to having the city pay for "free fuel" for EV owners, maintaining that it's unfair to everyone else.
The simple solution to this is to just not install free chargers. Make 'em pay for a charging session, even if it's just a nominal amount. That would also eliminate the problem of the chargers being blocked by people who don't actually need the charge but can't pass up a handout.

GetOffYourGas said:
oilerlord said:
I plugged in at Ikea a couple of months ago, and someone came up to me, and angrily asked me "where's MY free fuel"?

To which you replied "Right here! Where's YOUR EV?"

My first thought was something along those lines, but the high road is usually the one best traveled. There wasn't much chance of changing the guy's perception about EV's in five seconds or less. His day was already ruined, and I didn't want to make it worse. To be fair, I've also plugged in there and others have expressed genuine interested in how the car works, and thought it was pretty cool.

In the last year driving the car, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone on the road that's actually figured out what my car is. Aside from the "ELECTRIC DRIVE" letters on the back, it pretty much flies under the radar - that is, unless I'm at Ikea. I like that.

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
One of our city Councillors is 100% opposed to having the city pay for "free fuel" for EV owners, maintaining that it's unfair to everyone else.
The simple solution to this is to just not install free chargers. Make 'em pay for a charging session, even if it's just a nominal amount. That would also eliminate the problem of the chargers being blocked by people who don't actually need the charge but can't pass up a handout.

I'd argue not so simple. Then you need to set up a meter, charge cards, and a department that manages it. What the Councillor (and most people that oppose free charging) don't really comprehend is how cheap electricity really is in our city, and how few people (at least initially) will actually use the charging stations. The wholesale rate on kWh's in Edmonton last month was 2.7 cents per kWh. Is it really worth collecting 3 cents from someone?

So our city could do the right thing & cough up $100K to install some L2 charging stations, but NOOOO...so unfair. Can't give away 3 cents to EV drivers even though they may hang around and spend $40 on lunch at a restaurant nearby. No problem spending $600K on roadside "art" that looks like shiny poop from an alien robot.

yy94zpy.jpg

Rant over.

oilerlord said:
My first thought was something along those lines, but the high road is usually the one best traveled.

Absolutely. And I would never say that to someone either. But it wouldn't stop me from thinking it at them as they are walking away...

oilerlord said:
I'd argue not so simple. Then you need to set up a meter, charge cards, and a department that manages it.

Or a contract with Chargepoint. Their business model is to provide the charging stations, the charge cards to the customers, manage the whole thing. For a fee.

I would suggest a cost of much more than the actual electric price.

That way when someone rants about the "free gasoline" you can turn around and rant about it's not free, it is a ripoff. It is a ripoff to pay 12 cents for 3 cents worth of electric power, and point out that is 36 cents per liter of e-gasoline. 36 cents per equivalent liter, what robbery, I only pay 9 cents per equivalent liter at home. That's why I usually charge at home not at this ripoff station.

:lol:

Don't ask "what are you paying at the pump", let them make that comparison.

Isn't gasoline about $1.00/liter in Alberta?

Back