Brake Lights on the Bolt

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsg

Hi Bolt Owners,

Does anybody know if the brake lights go on when the car is driven in LOW and the driver takes his (her) foot off the accelerator? Do the brake lights come on, as the car slows down considerably?

Thanks,
Jerry

Brake lights come on any time the car is decelerating at more than .1g or when you push on the brake pedal.

GernBlanston said:
Brake lights come on any time the car is decelerating at more than .1g or when you push on the brake pedal.

Thanks, that makes sense. is the .1g similar to a gasoline-powered car's braking?

jsg said:
GernBlanston said:

Thanks, that makes sense. is the .1g similar to a gasoline-powered car's braking?

No, .1g is barely slowing down; hardly braking at all.

jack vines

jsg said:
GernBlanston said:

No, in a gasoline-powered car, the brake lights are powered by an electrical switch connected to the brake pedal.

Just so I get this right.

I drive in L and Feather off the pedal so I can slow down gradually. Very gradually.

So how far OFF the pedal does the brake lights come on.... and is there a spot in the back I can look at while driving to see the light come on?
I noticed a spot under the rear wiper but I was in my carport so it was darker.

I just want to make sure that people know I am slowing down with the brake light on.
Because, you know.... people don't drive a few car lengths back any more and watch the CAR not the Brake lights :roll:

darn I was afraid of that.

Anytime I am near stores I check all my back lights when backing out, turn signals, hazards etc. in the windows reflection.

My understanding is the brake lights engage when slowing dow by .3g or more. So, unless you have an accelerometer with a g-force readout, you'll have to do the "drive at night" verification, or have somebody you know tailing you to see if the brake lights work as expected.

Others who have tested this themselves have come back happy.

Really?!? I just look in the rear view mirror at night and see the red light reflecting on the road.

My rear view mirror is in camera mode.

Ok I will try over the weekend and use the mirror with the camera mode. Thanks !
And yeah i don't have any idea what G mode I would be in hahaha

Back