Problems, Bugs, Weird Stuff, Glitches, Concerns Here

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coop said:
I have had my car now for about 28 days. I notice a slight but not always high pitch sound when I am in L gear coming to a stop with my foot gradually off the accelerator. I am wondering if this is normal and just the behavior of the car in this mode? When I am in normal drive and reverse there is no noise.

That is normal. It's the regenerative braking slowing you down. You will also hear it when you pull the braking paddle.

gpsman said:
Interesting concept.

Now that you mentioned it, a few days ago I did this.
My system froze up while driving (equally intolerable) and I had to do the forced reboot while driving. That day my screens stayed black. So I didn't associate the color change with that event. But every day since, my screen has been white.

Remember when a radio was just a radio and a navigator was just a navigator, and a phone was just a phone? I really F-ing HATE Windows operating systems and I beleive this car is running on a Windows CE based platform.

SeanNelson said:
Have you tried rebooting the infotainment system (press "Home" and "Fast Forward" for 10 seconds) and re-applying the settings?
I believe it is running on QNX, which is what most autos are running on now, particularly if they offer CarPlay. QNX is from BlackBerry.

My cruse control buttons are now changing my radio stations.

Strange, but true.

I'm off to the dealer for whatever software update they can give me..... (sigh.....)

What a waste of my time.

SeanNelson said:
gpsman said:
Again - did you try rebooting the infotainment system?

Many, many times.

I have a dealer appt. Friday.

My Bolt was built pre-February so has the older (oldest?) software. Hopefully an update will help.

gpsman said:

Strange, but true.

I'm off to the dealer for whatever software update they can give me..... (sigh.....)

What a waste of my time.

That sounds like a physical problem with the clock spring cable used in the steering wheel. Do the favorites buttons still work to change radio stations, or are they inoperative now?

Did anyone know that it can take a gallon of windshield wiper fluid to refill the reservoir in the Bolt?

I just discovered that. Noticed that there were no washer fluid available to spray the rear window but still some spaying on the front. Assumed I was running out of fluid because I could still "hear" the rear pump trying to operate. Had a new bottle of window washer fluid standing by and poured the whole thing into the reservoir and the rear spray was restored.

That's a HUGE window washer fluid reservoir! So, be ready to add a lot of fluid to the reservoir when it runs dry.

sgt1372 said:
Did anyone know that it can take a gallon of windshield wiper fluid to refill the reservoir in the Bolt?

I just discovered that. Noticed that there were no washer fluid available to spray the rear window but still some spaying on the front. Assumed I was running out of fluid because I could still "hear" the rear pump trying to operate. Had a new bottle of window washer fluid standing by and poured the whole thing into the reservoir and the rear spray was restored.

That's a HUGE window washer fluid reservoir! So, be ready to add a lot of fluid to the reservoir when it runs dry.

Both of my cars will take a full gallon when the reservoir is empty. I thought this was normal.

Seems normal on any car made in the last decade, especially ones with a rear wiper. I think the idea is you can dump a full gallon in once and a while and it doesn't need to be right empty, probly about when the indicator comes on.

Also remember the bolt has a high pressure spray nozzle for the rear camera, I think it uses wiper fluid.

GetOffYourGas said:
Both of my cars will take a full gallon when the reservoir is empty. I thought this was normal.

Well, my experience is different.

NONE of my 4 other vehicles takes a gallon of window washer fluid, not even the truck. They are however older vehicles, so things may have changed in that regard.

Just putting the info out there in case people (like me) were unaware that it would take that much fluid to refill the winder washer reservoir.

My steering wheel controls wouldn’t work recently, including steering wheel heater, radio controls, etc. I pressed home and fast forward to reboot as has been mentioned elsewhere here. Nada. I drove an hour to my destination, let my Bolt set for 10 minutes or so, and all was well. I was disappointed that home and fast forward did not reboot. Any other way to reboot while on the road. I have to make the hour’s drive without my navigation system working.

Charge cord stuck and unable to remove. Have already tried wiggling the connector and restarting the car. Dealership on its way to try to handle this.

woodturner said:
Charge cord stuck and unable to remove. Have already tried wiggling the connector and restarting the car. Dealership on its way to try to handle this.
Latch is probably stuck. If so, pushing in and raising the handle a bit while firmly pressing the latch button might help to release it. If it's a DC Fast charger you need to stop the charge before the latch will release.

Just got an email from Chevy explaining software updates are on the way. Great that we can download them without having to take the car to a dealer.

Sometimes after I DCFC with the car “on” while I’m sitting in it, then drive away, my miles per kWh climbs exponentially. Like into the many hundreds of miles per kWh.

It’s as if the car views the DCFC as going down a steep hill with regen.

But it does not occur every time.
Just once in a while.

Today I drove at highway speeds on an 85 degree day. Probably warmed up the battery pretty well. Came down a freeway offramp 70 mph to 0 and did a big slug of regen. Then went right to a 50kw DCFC.

It was now after dusk, 68 degrees F outside.
Noticed the AC was running right away to cool the battery as soon as DCFC connected.

Also noticed the AC was blowing very chilled air to the dash board vents at the same time. (I kept the car “on” to watch the charge rate.)

I could turn off the climate control all together and get nothing. But I could not get plain outside air. It was chilled (40 degree) air or nothing.

I had figured there were two separate freon cooling loops. My 2005 hybrid car has two separate freon chilling loops (one compressor, but a zone diverter valve). Looks like not so in the Bolt.

Anyone know for sure if there is a single shared freon cooling loop, or if mine is malfunctioning?

Thanks.

INTERMITTENT WIPER controls are backward. The knob lists the values as short to longer and longer bars ... essentially indicating the interval between wipes would be longer.
---
-----
--------
-----------

The short bar tells me the interval would be short... right? NOPE! In the Bolt, the short bar produces the longest interval?!?!?!?!? WTH? Is yours like this or did someone install my $^#@ backward?

SmokingRubber said:
INTERMITTENT WIPER controls are backward. The knob lists the values as short to longer and longer bars ... essentially indicating the interval between wipes would be longer.
To me, a longer bar means "more wiping" and hence, wiping more often. Plus, rotating the knob so that the side closest to you goes up gives you "more" wiping (shorter intervals), which is consistent with the movement of the entire stalk to select off, interval, low and then high wiping speed.

Back