Chevy replacing bad batteries

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transport Evolved on battery issues and pack replacement for some early-2017 Bolt owners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz7CXxAbGEI&t=203s

GM sent out about 200 letters to Bolt owners to replace their battery packs.

Anyone here receive that letter? If so, which dealership did you take your car to and how was your experience? Could someone post that letter here for us to read it?

http://www.plugincars.com/general-motors-notifies-early-bolt-owners-potential-battery-failure-133131.html

I purchased in July. Got my "honeymoon over" phone call today, followed by this email:

"Your 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV (VIN ...) has created an diagnostic alert because an element in the battery has slipped below the threshold required for good performance. If unrepaired, it could cause a stalling situation while driving.

You may notice one or more of the following conditions:

• Vehicle is unable to plug-In charge
• No start
• Reduced or loss of propulsion
• Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated

We have made contact with Bob Stall Chevrolet regarding CSP 17297 High Volt Battery Pack Low Cell. Once the dealership has the part in stock, Debbie in service will reach out to you to schedule a service appointment."

I don't believe I received a letter but could be here and misplaced (though I'm not near hurricanes, I did get flooded same time and household discombobulated now!)

I was in disbelief. In fact, at first I thought the woman was telling me I needed to go to the dealer to find out if I had this problem. Then she started saying the dealer would call me when the battery was in. What???

I read thru quite a bit of this forum before my purchase but haven't made it back since (keep meaning to). I guess if I had I could have seen a heads-up.

I have not noticed any problems, in fact no alerts in the car. I did just read an email from On Star today that my tires were a little low! The woman from GM said I should keep the charge above the 1/3 level. I do have more than average highway to travel tomorrow and will probably be anxious.

I am still scarred from repairs done in my previous Leaf. Last summer I had to replace the heater. 1-2 mos later the AC! The dash was just never the same after that. The creaks and squeaks drove me nuts, and each Service visit resulted in "I don't hear what you're talking about" or they fixed 1 noise and then another showed up.

I thought EVs were supposed to be low maintenance.

BumperCarDriver said:
Got my "honeymoon over" phone call today...
The good news is that they're going to fix a problem you didn't even know you had, and probably before it affects you in any negative way. That seems pretty impressive to me.

SeanNelson said:
BumperCarDriver said:
Got my "honeymoon over" phone call today...
The good news is that they're going to fix a problem you didn't even know you had, and probably before it affects you in any negative way. That seems pretty impressive to me.
^^^This^^^

I get it. I'm happy that a remote independent system can detect a major problem in advance of major consequences. And a pretty darn expensive problem on their part.

I was a little concerned that GM would have me drive the car for a week knowing the potential. And probably paranoia on my part, but on the way to the dealer this morning I did notice range jumping around, more than what I would expect with regen accounted for. Initially the dealer pushed me off, saying he was out of loaner cars. I pressed the issue and they got me a rental.

The service manager got to catch up on the issue by the time we checked in the Bolt. If I understood him correctly, he just learned that he would actually have to access the battery and find its serial number, to confirm it's a defective one, before ordering the new one.

The techs of course have never replaced a Bolt battery, but they have done Volts. I specifically asked the GM rep on the phone how long would the actual labor be, once the battery arrived? She said a few hours. I asked the service manager the same question and he laughed at the first answer. A few days he said. Some factors included when the appropriate techs were available, and would a bay be available.

The honeymoon over comment is because, to me, I no longer have the shiny new car. There's always a point where it's no longer new. For some, it's when the dog throws up in it, right? The climate control repairs on my previous Leaf rendered me a car that was never the same, and much less enjoyable. So I am skeptical about a repair that involves such a costly part. But I admit I don't know anything about the work. Maybe I should picture it like a new battery for my smoke detector, and all will be well!

BumperCarDriver said:
The honeymoon over comment is because, to me, I no longer have the shiny new car. There's always a point where it's no longer new. For some, it's when the dog throws up in it, right? The climate control repairs on my previous Leaf rendered me a car that was never the same, and much less enjoyable. So I am skeptical about a repair that involves such a costly part. But I admit I don't know anything about the work. Maybe I should picture it like a new battery for my smoke detector, and all will be well!

The point where my car is no longer new is the second I buy it, since I always buy used. I just don't get much additional satisfaction owning new vs used.

... and I'll point out that from everyone else's perspective, your car was no longer new the second you drove it off the lot.

"My Chevy Bolt Is On Third Battery Pack: Here’s Why"

https://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-battery-died-twice-why/

"Nearly 43,000 Chevy Bolt electric cars have been sold in the United States. According to General Motors, only one of those Bolts needed its battery pack replaced not once, but two times. And who is the winner of that unfortunate lottery? Me."

chevy-bolt-tow-1920.jpg

Back