Too much regen in D mode

Chevy Bolt EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Bolt EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redpoint5 said:
I carry liability insurance...
I don't think it covers punitive damages for intentionally driving in neutral!

Keep leaving a trail of memos for the plaintiffs lawyers to use...

redpoint5 said:
MichaelLAX said:
Can't argue with an anarchist!

Not only is this sentence an ad hominem logical fallacy (I never said I was an anarchist), it isn't even factually true (you can argue with an anarchist).

Good luck defending yourself when you are in an accident! :eek:

A person involved in an accident isn't automatically the guilty party if they are found to have been in N at the time of the incident (what kind of attorney are you?). One example would be getting rear ended at a red light. Failure to stop in time is the cause of the accident, not being in neutral.

See how much a jury of your peers determines you owe in damages for those views! $$$$ :roll:

I carry liability insurance, unlike 1/6th of the CA motoring public.

Is this topic really that interesting to you, or do you just like hearing yourself type?

RedP, it's not worth having a debate when what you write is quoted out of context, and argued in endless ad hominem & Non sequitur. It just gets more frustrating from here. Take the high road...time to let it go.

SeanNelson said:
oilerlord said:
If there is no mechanical mechanism that gets disengaged in N, how do you explain why the car coasts farther in N than coasting at the neutral point of the right pedal?
Probably because in "D" (or "L") mode there's no way for you to reliably judge the pedal position where the car isn't applying at least a little bit of power or extracting at least a little bit of regen from the motor. In "N" you've explicitly instructed the car to lay off the motor, but in the other modes you're just doing your best to emulate it.

This is exactly why some people wish that there was a user-selectable setup option you could choose which would tell the car not to apply ANY regen when you've completely lifted your foot from the accelerator pedal in "D" mode. That would eliminate the guesswork without having to shift the car into neutral mode, removing some of your ability to control the vehicle.

Exactly.

oilerlord said:
redpoint5 said:
MichaelLAX said:
Can't argue with an anarchist!

Not only is this sentence an ad hominem logical fallacy (I never said I was an anarchist), it isn't even factually true (you can argue with an anarchist).

Good luck defending yourself when you are in an accident! :eek:

A person involved in an accident isn't automatically the guilty party if they are found to have been in N at the time of the incident (what kind of attorney are you?). One example would be getting rear ended at a red light. Failure to stop in time is the cause of the accident, not being in neutral.

See how much a jury of your peers determines you owe in damages for those views! $$$$ :roll:

I carry liability insurance, unlike 1/6th of the CA motoring public.

Is this topic really that interesting to you, or do you just like hearing yourself type?

RedP, it's not worth having a debate when what you write is quoted out of context, and argued in endless ad hominem & Non sequitur. It just gets more frustrating from here. Take the high road...time to let it go.
Only a coward would block my messages, then wait for others to quote me, then consistently comment about what I have to say knowing that you don't have to read what I say in response!

I learned that driving on highways in L is not very efficient. Always slowing the car down to speed it up again isn't very good.
D coasting seemed to do MUCH better distance wise.

scooter123 said:
I learned that driving on highways in L is not very efficient. Always slowing the car down to speed it up again isn't very good.
D coasting seemed to do MUCH better distance wise.

Now imagine how much better it would be if you could truly free-wheel coast in D rather than having muted regen.

I'm not sure that keeping your right foot in a "neutral" position (such that the right-hand Power/Regen gauge shows neither yellow above nor green) below isn't very close to actually putting the drive train in Neutral.

I base this on experience with hypermiling an electric motorcycle on a 800 mile road trip. The difference in power usage between holding the clutch in on long mountain descents and keeping the throttle grip in a position to neither accelerate nor decelerate, seemed to be negligible.

LectricBill said:
I'm not sure that keeping your right foot in a "neutral" position (such that the right-hand Power/Regen gauge shows neither yellow above nor green) below isn't very close to actually putting the drive train in Neutral.
Perhaps not, but like cruise control it would sure be nice for the car to just do what you want without your having to pay continuous attention to it. Especially when we all know that all it would take is a software tweak to add a "no regen in 'D'" setting that disables the regen you get when you lift your foot from the accelerator pedal.

NeilBlanchard said:
My spouse, who is no ecodriver - doesn't like regen on the accelerator. I hope that Chevy gives us the option to coast in D.

I thought she wouldn't like it either, but my wife has never complained (or has even mentioned it)...and that's even with regular switching between driving her X3 and the EV. As much as I'd like the option to coast in D, one pedal driving is such a easy, almost zen-like way to drive; especially in traffic - well, at least for some of us.

Back