davidhun

Re: Dolly towing a Chevy Bolt

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Here's a video that I recorded of us trying to tow the Bolt w/o disconnecting the battery. Notice the car's brake lights flash when it auto-engages the parking brake: https://youtu.be/gRaWzZmO40E

(Sorry for the terrible quality it was a hot Arizona day and we were just trying to get on the road!)

EMP40

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Have you had any final resolution? We are looking at becoming fulltime RVers and I would really prefer EV as a toad.

davidhun

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 pm

EMP40 wrote:Have you had any final resolution? We are looking at becoming fulltime RVers and I would really prefer EV as a toad.

The only thing that I've heard back is Chevy saying that this is now a 'known issue' (others have had the problem as well) and that, until a fix is made available, disconnecting the ground wire from the 12-Volt battery terminal is the workaround.

Using this workaround, we've not encountered any further issues and continue to tow our Bolt EV.

EMP40

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks for the reply, We are in a situation of potentially forced into early retirement and considering the RV lifestyle. After having a Focus electric I can say no more ICE vehicles for us. The BOLT seems like a great tow vehicle with enough utility to be very functional.

oilerlord

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

EMP40 wrote:Thanks for the reply, We are in a situation of potentially forced into early retirement and considering the RV lifestyle. After having a Focus electric I can say no more ICE vehicles for us. The BOLT seems like a great tow vehicle with enough utility to be very functional.

No more ICE vehicles for you...except for the RV :)

You can tow a Bolt behind an RV, but it certainly is not a "great" tow vehicle. For that, look no further than an older Honda CR-V. No tow dolly required. The Bolt + dolly is a big load...a lighter vehicle will give you better fuel economy too. Also consider that the "RV lifestyle" may take you places where a plug-in isn't available.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

SeanNelson

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm

oilerlord wrote:
EMP40 wrote:Also consider that the "RV lifestyle" may take you places where a plug-in isn't available.

Actually, if the poster's "RV Lifestyle" consists of staying at serviced RV sites then a plug-in will always be available.

oilerlord

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Never said they wouldn't be available, just that they may not be available (and that gasoline usually is). I bought my Clipper Creek HCS-40P specifically because it can plug into the common 14-50 plugs found at campsites. There are of course workarounds like using a gasoline generator to charge the EV, and of course everyone's priorities are different. I'm only commenting that the Bolt isn't necessarily a "great" tow vehicle when other lighter, more-designed-for-towing choices are out there.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

SeanNelson

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:56 am

oilerlord wrote:Never said they wouldn't be available, just that they may not be available (and that gasoline usually is).

Of course. But one of the cool things about camping in serviced RV sites is that you're pretty much guaranteed of having a plug-in. That's something that can't be said of just driving the Bolt itself and staying at hotels.

gpsman

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:42 am

Great thread. Thanks for posting.
This is ALSO relevant to the case of tow truck towing.
If you get disabled for any reason, tow truck drivers will need to know this.

Now that I know, should the need arise, I will always request a flat-bed tow truck, if at all possible.

And for those terrified of using car washes, simply explain your situation. Car washes WILL allow you to stay in the vehicle, even if it is not common practice. That is what I do. Never had any trouble in the 3 or 4 times I used those conveyor type car washes. I stayed in the car, left the power on, and left the car in N.

Thanks again, great info here.

-John

Return to “Ask Chevrolet”