oilerlord

Re: First Road Trip and Impressions

Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 pm

GetOffYourGas wrote:
You're right about the luggage space - it's too soon to tell. I only took a duffle bag and a small backpack with me on this trip. When I make my next trip to BJ's, I'll have a much better sense of the trunk space. From specs, the Bolt is larger - 16.9 cubic ft to the Leaf's 14.5 cubic ft. (Note that I had a 2012 Leaf with the "hump" in the trunk which was removed in the 2013+ models, yielding a total of 24 cubic ft). The Bolt's trunk looks smaller, but I have the false floor and the cargo shade installed. I have stowed the false floor, but haven't removed it completely. Again, I will know for certain when I do some serious shopping.

I think the Bolt's overall cargo area (rear-seats folded) is actually a little larger than my B250e, but how it's configured is a compromise for me. I really liked the Spark EV, and while rear-seat legroom was fine, the space behind the rear seats doesn't work for us. The Bolt seems similarly designed for rear passenger comfort at the expense of cargo space. I really like that our dog crate fits perfectly behind the rear seats, something that wouldn't happen with the Bolt. I'm not sure (yet) if that's a deal breaker, or just an inconvenience but I'm looking forward to see if GM comes out with an EV about the size of an Equinox - even if the added size results in a drop in range / efficiency.
2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen (not-so-clean-diesel) TDI
2008 BMW X3 3.0 "Beatrice"
2004 BMW 330Xi Sedan
My 9.2kW DC Solar: https://easyview.auroravision.net/easyview/index.html?entityId=7466210

GetOffYourGas

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Cargo space with the rear seats up is really all that matters to me. I have kids, so if I'm hauling stuff, I almost always have rear passengers. And of course, leg room is less important for young kids than for adults. I have the luxury of having access to my father's minivan whenever I need to haul truly large stuff, so seat-down cargo room is never really an issue.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2011 Torqeedo Travel 1003 electric outboard on a 22' sailboat
2012 Leaf SV (traded for Bolt)
2015 C-Max Energi (302A package)
2017 Bolt Premier

gpsman

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:28 am

GetOffYourGas-

The whole “energy score” thingy is a joke.
Meaningless.
Pointless.

The software in it sucks.
It lowers your score the more you hypermile!
And apparently 100 degrees F is optimim (of coarse with no air conditioning) according to mine.

Miles per kWh is the only score you want to watch.
It is pretty darn accurate, and consistent.
4.6 miles per kWh is EXCELLENT!

5.0 is hypermiler
4.0 is good
3.0 is average with some highway and climate control
2.5 is below average
2.0 is poor

Chevy / EPA rate the car based on 3.9 kWh.
(3.9 x 60 kWh battery = 234 miles per “fillup”.)

GetOffYourGas

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:38 am

I hauled my boat this weekend, and stuffed the trunk full of lifejackets, fenders, sails, the outboard, etc. Without the false floor or the cargo shade, it feels similar in size to the Leaf's trunk. It actually isn't as deep as the Leaf's because the floor actually still has that foam block underneath it.

~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

GetOffYourGas

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:44 am

GPSMan -
That's my impression too. Half of those factors are beyond my control anyway (terrain and outside temp). My driving technique was not particularly conservative. I didn't do any jack-rabbit starts, but I was not feathering the accelerator either. I was simply driving. As noted above, the only thing that I did do was stay within the speed limit. I know some people balk at that idea, but I drive all my cars about the same way. What may be surprising to people is how many cars and trucks I passed who were going under the speed limit. Even in Massachusetts (for those not in the northeast, Massachusetts drivers have a bit of a reputation. I'll spare you the nickname they're given...). For those who cruise at 80+, the good news is that the Bolt is perfectly capable of that. The bad news is that physics catches up to you real quickly at those speeds, and kills your efficiency.
~Brian

EV Fleet:
2017 Bolt Premier

Return to “General / Main Chevy Bolt Owners Forum”